Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, anyone against the whole Make povert history idea? or the fact that many are just taking advantage of the day to see loads of bands perform on the same day?

(neg rep to anyone who is against the idea of making poverty history, as we clearly have different opinions)

I am not against these, merely speculating that there may be some who dont believe that this can make poverty history.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against the idea, nor am I against the concerts, but I do this there are more important world issues

No point in saving Africa only to find that the ice caps have melted and the Ozone layer is gone and everybody burns, drowns etc

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're going to get many replies to a thread where you ask if people are against something, and then say you're going to neg rep them if they are...

ReputationRep:
    i would prefer the concert to actually cost something like £5 - 150,000 x 5 = £750,000 from Hyde Park - that money could be used for schools etc. to help educate children in Africa and a possible better start but other than that its all a great idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fernando)
    i would prefer the concert to actually cost something like £5 - 150,000 x 5 = £750,000 from Hyde Park - that money could be used for schools etc. to help educate children in Africa and a possible better start but other than that its all a great idea
    But this is what they've realised since the last one, giving aid to these countries only helps short term - 20 years later the situations in the same countries are no better (plus, some countries have to pay about £12 back for every £1 of aid they are given - it only succeeds on getting them into debt more). The point of the concerts wasn't to raise money, it was to raise political awareness. And its probably been a success in terms of the general public's awareness of the situation, but I don't think its going to work in terms of the G8 summit. Plus, most people probably text in for Live 8 because they announced the bands who were playing first, I doubt they would have had the amount of people interested if they hadn't said who was playing. And when Damon Alban spoke up against the whole thing, I think he kind of had a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    But this is what they've realised since the last one, giving aid to these countries only helps short term - 20 years later the situations in the same countries are no better (plus, some countries have to pay about £12 back for every £1 of aid they are given - it only succeeds on getting them into debt more). The point of the concerts wasn't to raise money, it was to raise political awareness. And its probably been a success in terms of the general public's awareness of the situation, but I don't think its going to work in terms of the G8 summit. Plus, most people probably text in for Live 8 because they announced the bands who were playing first, I doubt they would have had the amount of people interested if they hadn't said who was playing. And when Damon Alban spoke up against the whole thing, I think he kind of had a point.
    there was like one bloke some beeb presenter spoke to in the crowd and asked why he was there. First thing he said - the artists/music

ReputationRep:
    The text thing raised more money than selling tickets as each ticket had a ridiculous high number of applicants.

ReputationRep:
    lol, how different, i got neg repped for this thread :rolleyes:

i knew someone would mis-interpret this thread:rolleyes:

Lets make this clear, I am not against Make Poverty History or Live 8, hopefully they will get their message across!!

ReputationRep:
    so, cmon, step right up, the one who neg repped me, or ill have to subscribe and neg rep you 6 times

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, did they have "collection plates" (couldn't think of a better term) at the venues, so spectators could donate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    lol, how different, i got neg repped for this thread :rolleyes:

i knew someone would mis-interpret this thread:rolleyes:

Lets make this clear, I am not against Make Poverty History or Live 8, hopefully they will get their message across!!
    i hate it when people neg rep you for mis interpetting the post or for no reason - you want pos rep to balance it out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kernel)
    Just curious, did they have "collection plates" (couldn't think of a better term) at the venues, so spectators could donate?
    i'll ask my cousin when he comes back - i would think they had buckets at the exits to donate change etc.

ReputationRep:
    i hate it when people neg rep you for mis interpetting the post or for no reason - you want pos rep to balance it out?
    if you would, ill put you on my pos rep list even if you are a chelsea supporter :p:

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting thread, there is NOTHING bad about what has happened today.

Seeing so many thousands of people unite to stand up for the worlds poor is a beautiful thing. Live-8 in London has truly made me feel proud to be British, and it is sending out all of the right messages.

Anybody who is against live-8 is against saving lives, thousands and thousands of lives, and i hope that like me, many of you have contributed to this very serious cause by parting voluntarily with a few of your pounds.

Excellent show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    if you would, ill put you on my pos rep list even if you are a chelsea supporter :p:
    cheers and done

ReputationRep:
    cheers and done
    wooo thanks! only 8 more points till im back to normal now!!

EDIT: ill rep you LATER ON, omg its past midnight!!!

nite

ReputationRep:
    I thought we established that it wasn't about the money?

I've signed the list, and I think the figures were amazing. 5 billion watching I think they said, that's mind-blowing. We really did unite to make poverty history today, and something I'm proud to have taken part in.

Those against it must be pretty cold-hearted. I hope there aren't any here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    Disgusting thread, there is NOTHING bad about what has happened today.

Seeing so many thousands of people unite to stand up for the worlds poor is a beautiful thing. Live-8 in London has truly made me feel proud to be British, and it is sending out all of the right messages.

Anybody who is against live-8 is against saving lives, thousands and thousands of lives, and i hope that like me, many of you have contributed to this very serious cause by parting voluntarily with a few of your pounds.

Excellent show.
    true, nothing bad has come from today but events before it have been appalling (sp) like ticket louts sellnig tickets for hundreds of pounds over ebay and on the streets, profiting from suffering in africa. Also some people may have only gone for the music as someone said - artists announced before tickets were released + people have admitted they had been there for the music and then changed their tune while being interviewed by one of the hyde park presenters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcD)
    I thought we established that it wasn't about the money?
    Which idiot established this then? lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    true, nothing bad has come from today but events before it have been appalling (sp) like ticket louts sellnig tickets for hundreds of pounds over ebay and on the streets, profiting from suffering in africa. Also some people may have only gone for the music as someone said - artists announced before tickets were released + people have admitted they had been there for the music and then changed their tune while being interviewed by one of the hyde park presenters
    So what? The intentions of a few thousand people on a field is irrelevant. What is important is that people were waving their hands in the air, and their national flags, and they were sending out a very serious message.
    This is the message that the billions of people at home are going to understand, and the one which the leaders will understand.

Music is an incredibly powerful weapon, and i think it has been used beautifully on this occassion.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.