Turn on thread page Beta

I dunno if I like my hobby or not watch

ReputationRep:
    When I was 13 i started karate and this lasted until when i reached orange belt (about a year). I then quit for 5 years and decided to go back since i thought id understand it and like going more. This lasted a few months and ive not been for months. I guess I found it a bit boring but I do like the moves etc. Also I think id get more respect from people if I got to black belt in a few years time as well as it looking good on a CV (well sorta :rolleyes: )

Im thinking of going back but Im scared of getting bored with it again. What do you think?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why don't you try one of the other types of 'martial arts' - I understand that some of them are better at helping people to focus on things (I think it might be TaiKwando sp?) - have a look at some alternatives, it might be a different angle that you need.

ReputationRep:
    Try Tai Chi, when you are advanced enough you can throw people across rooms without touching them....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiron)
    Try Tai Chi, when you are advanced enough you can throw people across rooms without touching them....
    Theres no other martial styles where I live though (plus im scared to try somethin new ), just karate

ReputationRep:
    Go back, you won't know until you experience it again. I got bored of shotokan karate once I achieved my 1st dan (first rank in black belt) because of the way my club was run, you could try branching out seeing if you can get lifts from people travelling from your area. It's always good to train a mixture of different arts too to get a beter knowlegde of martial arts as a whole, you can then mix and match certain aspects which you prefer to create a style unique to you. I now train judo, boxing, brazillian ju-jitsu and Muay thai which is my preferred combination.

To get to the point, stop being a wuss and just go and see. Watch out though, your fellow students and instructor will have probably lost all respect for you.

P.S. What style of karate is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mullerice)
    Go back, you won't know until you experience it again. I got bored of shotokan karate once I achieved my 1st dan (first rank in black belt) because of the way my club was run, you could try branching out seeing if you can get lifts from people travelling from your area. It's always good to train a mixture of different arts too to get a beter knowlegde of martial arts as a whole, you can then mix and match certain aspects which you prefer to create a style unique to you. I now train judo, boxing, brazillian ju-jitsu and Muay thai which is my preferred combination.

To get to the point, stop being a wuss and just go and see. Watch out though, your fellow students and instructor will have probably lost all respect for you.

P.S. What style of karate is it?
    How the hell do you have time for all them :eek: Do you train martial arts 5 days a week? I do Sei do kan but i cant say how effective it is since ive not compared

ReputationRep:
    if your a guy id find it hot....well if you had muscles

ReputationRep:
    I do Tae Kwon Do, but it's very similar to karate (technically, it is korean karate). Tae Kwon Do is good (at least in terms of interest level) because sparring plays a part in it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it if it bores you; where's the point in that? To be honest, this is a bit of a silly thread, if you like it, then do it; if it bores the crap out of you, don't. There's no point doing it for the sake of it, try something different. A hobby is exactly that; a hobby, don't turn it into something forced and false!

ReputationRep:
    :dito: hobby is something you enjoy

try breakdance thas good fun :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i agree with Zhivago. You seem to have answered your own question. I was in a similar situation. I stopped because i moved and my style was not available. I tried something else but could not recapture the original feeling.

Find something else - oh, and respect? dont learn a martial art for the respect it might bring from others. Respect comes from the person you are, not from the fact that you are a martial artist. I know many people that practice the art, i respect most of them. But it has nothing to do with karate (some of them are arrogant pigs, inside or outside a dojo).

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.