Turn on thread page Beta

I'm too sensitive.. or people are just getting to me watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oilcan)
    I'm sorry but talking about suicide doesn't help your case.
    It just makes you look like an attention seeker.
    i know this was said 18hours ago but sry its so unbelievably insensitive i wish i could whack you one.

No, it's just you're being melodcramatic.
    You have no right to die to be honest.
    A few people are getting on your case boo hoo.
    You don't live in ...
    oilcan if u dont understand feeling depressed/rejected then f*ck off. When ur feeling a bit down, does thinking of people living in poverty make u feel better about urself? NO, worse if anything cos u end up feeling helpless too!

Saff, i went to a really small school for yrs7-11, 26 ppl in the year. the majority smoked pot or something crappy, only 3-4 i actually considered friends for the entire time. tbh i was the guy that got trodden on by everyone during yr7-11 - i h8ed myself to the nth degree, nd like u i couldnt concentrate for the entire last year, nd as i dont know anyone on the forum in person ill admit that i even broke down once in front of everyone, after coming back to class finding my desk and bag being completely defaced. Easily the most humiliating moment of my life
    in my 1st year of coll, which consisted of 2000ppl, i ended up living in a shell with a 500m radius. Felt strange/uncomfortable that, for a whole year, id actually been shown respect by pretty much everyone. When people say go in, be urself, it aint easy when you dont actually know who that is. lol as for the lesbian thing, i had 3people ask me last year if i was gay, just say no and laugh it off. In the 2nd year everyone changed classes completely, nd after a really great holiday when i made a couple of gr8 friends, i went back with a "screw what u think of me, like me hate me who gives a toss" and its been a great year all round. So maybe i don't go out as much as the guy over there smoking pot, or that guy walking round wiv his trousers round his knees (whats the point?!?!), thats me and thats my call.

In september, whether ur off to uni or work (cant remember if u said), go there with a "hi im me, like me then great, h8 me then thats ur prob - there are 60million other people in the UK to meet" I do understand how u feel completely, and i am proof that it happens to guys as well. As for theropy or antideps, that wud hav 2 be up2u but i know that trying theropy would have made me feel worse, and ive seen the side effects of "anti"deppresants in others.

U dont *need* to talk to someone. the best thing i found is when i finally met some1 i felt i could trust, (they didnt know any of my other m8s so if they stabbed me in the back i could tell them to f*ck off safely) i just told them about it all nd they just accepted it as part of me. Talking 2 some1 will speed up getting to the same result tho - being happy about life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    I know there are people dying of cancer, living homeless on the streets and starving in Africa, with no clean drinking water and no schools. I know how lucky I am. But being lucky doesn't make you happy. Fact.

So if you can't say something helpful and supportive to this person, just don't say anything at all.
    Exactly, money doesnt buy happiness, there are thousands of depressed people in the country, young and old, rich and poor, just as there are many HAPPY people in africa, who may only have enough to scrape by.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started A2's, so I have another year of this NickNack. So i must develop some sort of outer surface for insults to bounce off. :cool:
    And oilcan's giving me practise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    I've just started A2's, so I have another year of this NickNack. So i must develop some sort of outer surface for insults to bounce off. :cool:
    And oilcan's giving me practise
    the worlds full of *******s but the majority of people are better than this

Are u at a different school for ur Alevels than ur GCSEs? and have ur classes changed for A2? If yes to these, r u still hanging round with ur old school group (im assuming yess). if so, just ditch them - theyre holding u back (even if u dont think it, believe me they are - after hanging round my old "m8s" at my new coll for a while,ditching them was the best thing ive done) go to ur new classes this year wiv the above attitude and itll all fall into place. If that isnt an option yet, then get a job - or a new job and start there.

ReputationRep:
    I went through a phase similar to yours. OK maybe not as bad, but I can definitely see where you are coming from.

I used to want to be really popular and have loads of friends. But I never was and I wasn't happy about that. Whenever one of those popular people was around I became really jealous. Then gradually I saw why those people were popular and why I wasn't. And then I realised that I didn't want to be popular. I just wanted to have friends who care about me and who I get along with.

I was constantly worrying about how other people saw me as well. I was always wanting to please everybody. Now I know I can't do that, so I just do things I'm comfortable with. I'm shy, it takes me ages to open up and to trust another person. That's me and I can't change that. I tried but it didn't work, so I decided to leave myself alone. If other people have a problem with that, it's fine coz I can't do anything about that. It's not their fautl and it's not mine either. It's just plain incompatibility, as simple as that.

I guess what you need to do is realise that your happiness doesn't rely on other people. Do stuff that you enjoy. Be your own best friend. I guess you have two options here: Carry on hanging out with your mates but don't expect too much from them. Be prepared they'll be insensitive to your feelings. Don't take what they say too seriously. Or maybe you should just stop hanging out with them altogether if that makes you feel so bad. I can't tell you what to do coz I don't know your friends and how you are feeling, only you can make your mind up.

With your family, I'm sure they have your best interests at heart. They probably don't know how to express their love for you. Yes it's not ideal, but perhaps you need to understand that they are not deliberately trying to make your life miserable, they are just clueless about expressing themselves. Talk to them when you are both in a good mood about your feelings. Tell them what they can do to make you feel better about yourself so that they know that they are in a position to help you. Try to look at the different situations at a positive angle. For example, I applaud you for staying with your nan instead of going off with your family and leaving you nan behind. I think that's truly honorable

As a general rule, a happier person tends to attract more friends. And happiness comes from within, from yourself, not other people

P.S. My take on depression (and I'm by no means an expert, so don't quote me on this) is that it's nothing to do with what happens in the suffer's life. Everybody has negative emotions from time to time and it's not their fault that they feel crap from time to time. The point is to learn to deal with these emotions. If a person doesn't have this, s/he will never be happy no matter what good stuff happens to him/her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickNack)
    the worlds full of *******s but the majority of people are better than this

Are u at a different school for ur Alevels than ur GCSEs? and have ur classes changed for A2? If yes to these, r u still hanging round with ur old school group (im assuming yess). if so, just ditch them - theyre holding u back (even if u dont think it, believe me they are - after hanging round my old "m8s" at my new coll for a while,ditching them was the best thing ive done) go to ur new classes this year wiv the above attitude and itll all fall into place. If that isnt an option yet, then get a job - or a new job and start there.
    I'm still at the same school i did my GCSE's at. And my classes have gotten a bit smaller for A2. I'm still hanging out with the same bunch of people, and if i ditched them then i really would be totally alone. One of my 'best mates', the unofficial one is really nice, i actually trust her but she also doesn't understand what it's like for me. So that isn't an option yet, and i guess I have to wait another year until i can start again and try and make new friends.

ReputationRep:
    first u need this... *BIG HUG* anyway, i don't know what to say really.. you probably get fed up with people saying they flt the same as you, when it seems apparent they don't experience the same feelings as that person suffering. My mum's always telling me when I complain to her about my "sometimes pathetic" mates, that we're just getting older, finding ourselves and moving apart, you have to accept that no-one stays the same forever. Regarding the lack of emotional support from your family, this isn't fair and because you haven't made them aware, they may not work it out for hemselves. If you don't feel you can really sit down and talk deeply with your parents, maybe have a one-off shout/stamping feet/tantrum. This may not solve the problem always, but at least they will begin to consider your feelings and include you more. I know most of what I have written makes no sense (thats just my twisted mind) but there is always someone out there who you were born to be the best of friends with, you just have to search. In the meantime, you always have us! :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    first u need this... *BIG HUG* anyway, i don't know what to say really.. you probably get fed up with people saying they flt the same as you, when it seems apparent they don't experience the same feelings as that person suffering. My mum's always telling me when I complain to her about my "sometimes pathetic" mates, that we're just getting older, finding ourselves and moving apart, you have to accept that no-one stays the same forever. Regarding the lack of emotional support from your family, this isn't fair and because you haven't made them aware, they may not work it out for hemselves. If you don't feel you can really sit down and talk deeply with your parents, maybe have a one-off shout/stamping feet/tantrum. This may not solve the problem always, but at least they will begin to consider your feelings and include you more. I know most of what I have written makes no sense (thats just my twisted mind) but there is always someone out there who you were born to be the best of friends with, you just have to search. In the meantime, you always have us! :tsr:
    Tbh i wasn't really expecting anyone whatsoever to reply to this thread, and I'm pleased in a way that I'm not the only one whose felt like this, but obviously it's not a good feeling.
    tehe the temper tantrum idea made me smile, but thanks and I really am glad I have you TSR-ians :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    Hi again hun, I'm sorry if i upset you, I didn't mean to!
    Listen, depression doesn't always have a visible cause in your life (although it sounds like you do have some causes that are undeniable, such as feeling rejected or whatever) and if you looked at the list of symptoms and saw some you recognised then maybe you do need to see someone about it. What people (I forget all your names sorry!) have said is true - it could be beneficial to talk to someone professional not just for diagnostic reasons or whatever, but because they are impartial, they're not gonna judge you, and they're not gonna get up and walk out.
    Also - the 'extent' of your problems that you mention is irrelevant - if it matters to you then its important. End of story. Don't bother comparing it to anyone else or anything else (oilcan's apparently an A**H***), if it upsets you then it's important, and anyone who cares about you will realise that too. So don't worry if something seems trivial, there's no such thing as an unimportant problem. PM me if you need to talk - I can't use MSN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raven4723)
    ...if it matters to you then its important...
    well put

ReputationRep:
    Raven4723- Yep I must agree with NickNack. What you said before was true, I know I have to do something, but what?
    I agree depression isn't necessarily caused by an event in one's life, but for me I can see causes [as written somewhat, in my first post] and to deal with them, I don't think I need to see a shrink. But like you [or someone else] said, I'm unqualified to say whether I've got a mental illness or whatever.
    How do you go about getting therapy? I so almost wanted to tell my psychology teacher everything on Friday, but she just thinks i'm amazingly clever, arghhh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Raven4723- Yep I must agree with NickNack. What you said before was true, I know I have to do something, but what?
    I agree depression isn't necessarily caused by an event in one's life, but for me I can see causes [as written somewhat, in my first post] and to deal with them, I don't think I need to see a shrink. But like you [or someone else] said, I'm unqualified to say whether I've got a mental illness or whatever.
    How do you go about getting therapy? I so almost wanted to tell my psychology teacher everything on Friday, but she just thinks i'm amazingly clever, arghhh.
    Tell her- psych teachers are good at listening in my experience! I'm not entirely sure how you go about getting a psychologist, but you can go to your GP about depression, at least intially and they can refer you. They have to keep it confidential (which I'm sure you know) so your family or whatever won't find out.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I can. Having a few knocks in life doesn't warrant self-murder. If we all did this, there'd be none of us left.
    Oh my god get the hell out of here - you belong in D+D, stop being insensitive. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't ask for loads of people to respond but there are apparently some nice people out there.
    If anyone's the attention seeker I'd suggest it was you. Please, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    mod edit - original post removed
    Does being a pain make you feel better? I don't really think your problem is anything to do with this, I think you're just angry and taking it out on someone else. 'Western Society' is no different to any other in terms of depression, and whether or not love exists is a matter of opinion and nothing to do with this thread. Also - i dont give two small monkeys about what you did when you felt depressed - this is nothing to do with you, and if Saffie wants tot turn to someone for help then why the hell shouldn't she? Why is it anything to do with you? If it annoys you that much go talk to someone else. Bye :ciao:

ReputationRep:
    Quick thanks to the moderators for responding quickly with the warnings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickNack)
    Quick thanks to the moderators for responding quickly with the warnings
    Yeah thanks a lot....

You're too quick blissy :p:

Its a simple rule, if someone comes here looking for help you don't call them pathetic, tell them they don't deserve help because others have much worse problems. its not helpful, its rude, and hypocritical. Why come to a forum like this if you have a low opinion of the users?

This rule stands for all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    You're too quick blissy :p:

Its a simple rule, if someone comes here looking for help you don't call them pathetic, tell them they don't deserve help because others have much worse problems. its not helpful, its rude, and hypocritical. Why come to a forum like this if you have a low opinion of the users?

This rule stands for all
    Thanks!

Follow the crowd? LMAO. That'd be you constable.
    You display your sheer ignorance when you talk about "following the crowd"; I'm the only one who isn't giving Saffie support and sympathy because surprise, surprise that doesn't happen in the real world.

However, if you want to live in your coccoon of naivety and ignorance then be my guest. Just don't come running to realists like me when it is blown to pieces by bullets or bombs.
    Its simple oilcan. Just because there are horrors in the world, it doesn't mean we should stop our lives, and bemoan how awful it is there. Yes we should be grateful for what we have but it is human nature to want a better life, to want more than we have now, be that friends, money, love.
    The man in india scraping a living together begging desperately wants more and complains, but is still grateful he isnt in a refugee camp in sudan dodging death.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.