Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    sex sells .

and it does contribute towards economy.

rebecaa loos, abi titmuss appear on papers and mags to sell more.

and lapdancers attract customers into clubs. and sell more boos

just cos you live in a warm house with loving parents doesnt give you the right to judge people.

ReputationRep:
    my main point is that they are talentless and get paid for.... lapdancing etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTSE100)
    and lapdancers attract customers into clubs. and sell more boos
    Was that meant to be, "sell more boobs"?

ReputationRep:
    There are, of course, lots of jobs that don't do anything for the economy. Lawyers, for example. That is irrelevant.

What does it do for the country? Makes lots of sad lonely men temprorarily happy. Are you going to begrudge them that pleasure? It may or may not be pathetic, but its harmless. They deserve their thrills as much as you or I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alewhey)
    There are, of course, lots of jobs that don't do anything for the economy. Lawyers, for example. That is irrelevant.

What does it do for the country? Makes lots of sad lonely men temprorarily happy. Are you going to begrudge them that pleasure? It may or may not be pathetic, but its harmless. They deserve their thrills as much as you or I.
    amen to your post.

but if we say compare a lapdancer to a lawyer.... a lawyer is far more respectable in any case.

i think the best word to describe these sorts of people would be "shallow"?

ReputationRep:
    id say : ill-advised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tastybread)
    amen to your post.

but if we say compare a lapdancer to a lawyer.... a lawyer is far more respectable in any case.

i think the best word to describe these sorts of people would be "shallow"?
    but maybe they can't become a lawyer.

laywer: spend years and lots of money on education, read lots of books.

lapdancer: dance.

i know what i'd rather be. i would absolutely love to be a male stripper, mainly because the ladies would be all over you. damn better money than working in [supermarket] also...

ReputationRep:
    you should have thought before you posted..

ReputationRep:
    can see where your coming from bread. rebeca loos is a f*cking ****.
    abi titmus int much better. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    i so would...my boyfriend would either really hate it or really love it... but i'm terrified someone i know would see me. i don't have the body right now (thank you exam stress) but i will have soon, and without sounding arrogant, i have the looks. i'd probably wear the same as when i go to a normal club anyway :rolleyes:
    I saw a programme about a tab-lawyer who lapdanced during her holidays:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    I saw a programme about a tab-lawyer who lapdanced during her holidays:eek:
    Bugger all else to do in Cambridge... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unpossible)
    Bugger all else to do in Cambridge... :p:
    She wasn't too bad either:eek:

Went on to get a double-First:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigdavevw)
    can see where your coming from bread. rebeca loos is a f*cking ****.
    abi titmus int much better. :confused:
    lmao. =)

ReputationRep:
    that's gonna be me! except i'm a natsci. hmm.

ReputationRep:
    She wasn't too bad either:eek:

Went on to get a double-First:/
    There must be some sort of joke there concerning "doubles", dancers, and being "not too bad", but I'll be damned if I find it tonight.

ReputationRep:
    There must be some sort of joke there concerning "doubles", dancers, and being "not too bad", but I'll be damned if I find it tonight.
    Try your best pete

ReputationRep:
    Try your best pete
    I was considering:

"Double first? She'd need a good pair..."

and then go on from there, but I realised that that was ****. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I was considering:

"Double first? She'd need a good pair..."

and then go on from there, but I realised that that was ****. :rolleyes:
    Ah, you're sense of humour has certainly improved:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tastybread)
    i was reading an article in a tabloid today and it made me reflect a bit on society..... it was about a lapdancer earning £500 PER night(on a good night) but JESUS what does the lapdancer do for the economy? NOTHING. What does it do for the country? NOTHING What does it do for guys? MAKES them horny.... what does it do for her? MAKEs her a ......
    does anyone really have respect for people such as lapdancers, people like abi tittmuss? rebecca loos?? they shouldn't even be getting paid what they do IMO. kids shouldn't be asking for their autographs.
    newsreaders, actors, footballers all have skills.... but not people like ABI TITMUS.
    perhaps i'm being a bit judgemental and stereotypical, but blimey....
    firstly, what kid asks a lap dancer for an autograph? Is it the new trend or something?

In a commodity based society, people are paid for what they can offer. This works with lap dancers in exactly the same way it does for newsreaders, footballers, actors or any other career you'd care to mention.
    Lap dancers offer a 'service', they are paid. People are willing to pay.
    For this, they have to have a base "skill" - good looks and a good body. If not, they'll earn little or be out on their ear. Their career will also be rather short.
    This is the same principle for everything else.

Just because your acute moral compass disagrees with this doesn't mean the system should change. Abi Titmuss was a nurse, she worked harder than most people and she did a lot of good. She has been presented with an opportunity to make a fortune exploiting morons who want to slaver over her for a few months (and it won't be much more - these things are flavour of the month) by playing the tabloid press. If she can make enough money to live on, good luck to her.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's fine for a part time job, whilst working on a qualification to move onto professional work.

However, this is not the case with all lapdancers. I was speaking to one of my mate's girlfriends. She failed pretty much everything in school (but labelled herself as a genius with ADD... more like a slapper with no brain) and now she's taking a dance course in college. When she's 18 in September, she's going to attempt to become a lapdancer. And, whilst it can be a very high paying job - she won't be employable after about 12 years. Sleazy buggers want the young 'uns on the poles. And when the girl's thirty, she'll probably have nothing saved up, she'll have no skills suitable for other jobs, a rotten CV, and she's probably going to end up in an absolutely terrible job or on the dole. And that's certainly not too great for the economy.

There is and will always be demand for lawyers with good degrees, on the other hand, and I'm pretty sure that a barrister or high up solicitor earning a 6 figure salary would have a more positive impact on the economy than a lapdancer.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.