Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd27)
    firstly, what kid asks a lap dancer for an autograph? Is it the new trend or something?
    i think you've misinterpreted; the kid will ask someone like rebecca loos for an autograph.
    (Original post by jd27)
    In a commodity based society, people are paid for what they can offer. This works with lap dancers in exactly the same way it does for newsreaders, footballers, actors or any other career you'd care to mention.
    Lap dancers offer a 'service', they are paid. People are willing to pay.
    For this, they have to have a base "skill" - good looks and a good body. If not, they'll earn little or be out on their ear. Their career will also be rather short.
    This is the same principle for everything else.
    i'd like to think newspapers, dancers etc would be in a totally different league to that of a lapdancer. It can't be THAT hard for a girl to start shaking it infront of a guy? SURELY!
    good looks and good body is now a skill? not luck??
    (Original post by jd27)
    Just because your acute moral compass disagrees with this doesn't mean the system should change. Abi Titmuss was a nurse, she worked harder than most people and she did a lot of good. She has been presented with an opportunity to make a fortune exploiting morons who want to slaver over her for a few months (and it won't be much more - these things are flavour of the month) by playing the tabloid press. If she can make enough money to live on, good luck to her.
    i never said the system should change, you're twisting it here.... i just wanted to point it out, that was all, and to perhaps make it more aware...

"worked harder than most people" do you mean people in general???? if so, how can you form this judgement?

ReputationRep:
    amen to foxo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tastybread)
    i think you've misinterpreted; the kid will ask someone like rebecca loos for an autograph.

i'd like to think newspapers, dancers etc would be in a totally different league to that of a lapdancer. It can't be THAT hard for a girl to start shaking it infront of a guy? SURELY!
    good looks and good body is now a skill? not luck??

i never said the system should change, you're twisting it here.... i just wanted to point it out, that was all, and to perhaps make it more aware...

"worked harder than most people" do you mean people in general???? if so, how can you form this judgement?
    Yes, worked harder than most people. Nurses have one of the hardest jobs to do, and the most strenuous. She also saved peoples lives. Good for her that she can make some more money. This does show the flaw in the system - nurses who work incredibly hard and help people are paid a penance, women who can look pretty for a camera and take her top off are paid much more. So if she can play the system for money, I'm glad for her.

good looks and good body is luck. So is everything else. Footballers may train hard, but they need almost all have a level of skill to begin with. This is entirely down to luck. Actors may train at their craft, but making money is down to luck - looks, natural skill etc. Nearly all professions need some form of luck at birth - beauty, intelligence, strength, speed, logic etc. Lapdancing isn't hard to do I'm sure, but it does require extreme confidence to be able to go up there nearly naked in front of a room full of people, it requires you to keep in shape and it will get rid of you after about 10 years.

Are you really in a position to make a moral judgement about who earns more money? The fact that you disapprove with what lapdancers do doesn't mean they are worthless human beings. It is a way for good looking young women to make a lot of money, and given the number of cases of women being kept in lower paying jobs because of gender recently, it's not the worst thing that could happen.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.