Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Ive seen my friends brothers practising and writing songs and ive realised how much fun it can be Thing is I cant really sing, can basically play acoustic and am a girl. Any ideas? None of my friends are interested and just laughed at me

ReputationRep:
    you back be a backing singer and do this :party: you can be the one in the middle :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'll join!!! I play the triangle! ...Ahem. Try asking other students, or your friends brothers if you get on with them? If not, maybe put up some posters advertising for band members.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeCool_Lemming)
    I'll join!!! I play the triangle! ...Ahem. Try asking other students, or your friends brothers if you get on with them? If not, maybe put up some posters advertising for band members.
    hmm ive finished uni for summer but its a good idea. When I go back though I'l feel stupid asking since im dead quiet and wont know anyone cause im doing the course back to front (started in Feb) I'l ask maybe if I get to know them well

ReputationRep:
    Just ask to jam with them and have fun, eventually if you blend you'll end up playing together all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mullerice)
    Just ask to jam with them and have fun, eventually if you blend you'll end up playing together all the time.
    I dont know them only one of them but we barely talk these days besides they play heavy metal and sound kinda good so I doubt theyd want a girl getting in the way with an acoustic Or even electric

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    :rolleyes: Ive seen my friends brothers practising and writing songs and ive realised how much fun it can be Thing is I cant really sing, can basically play acoustic and am a girl. Any ideas? None of my friends are interested and just laughed at me
    dont act like you want to take yourself overly seriously. People wont respect you for that. Just be cool and try and enjoy yourself.

Being in a band IS fun but you must remember that to start gigging and the like yoll ned to be togetehr for a long time. My band were 1 and a bit years before our 1st performance. We agreed to play one song at a school event.

so advice. Just be relaxed and cool, and dont expect things to happen too quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    just cos you play acoustic and are a girl won't stop you!! if anything it makes you different from the norm which is what people are looking for now.
    i'm a girl too and am in a band with 3 other girls. we've actually been quite successful doing acoustic arrangements of songs and our own compositions. actually we've got further than a lot of male rock bands around here because they're all pretty much doing the same thing.
    we got noticed by a few professional singers and managers and got lots of great experiences out of it. unfortunately now, we're all splitting for university so we're gigging over the summer to get the most out of it... i'm sure we'll get back together for a few things though during holidays.

seriously just get out there, don't be afraid to ask people, cos there might be others who are also a bit shy to ask.
    once you find some sort of arrangement that suits you, practise on covering some songs you like (chords and lyrics are easy to find on the internet... or you could do a completely instrumental group - whatever suits!) and ask a local pub or something to let you play.
    good luck!

oh by the way, be warey though... all-girl bands can experience many cat fights heh so it helps to be friends or to get guys in.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    learn to play bass guitar and you can be the fit rock chick in an all-male band.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    dont act like you want to take yourself overly seriously. People wont respect you for that. Just be cool and try and enjoy yourself.

Being in a band IS fun but you must remember that to start gigging and the like yoll ned to be togetehr for a long time. My band were 1 and a bit years before our 1st performance. We agreed to play one song at a school event.

so advice. Just be relaxed and cool, and dont expect things to happen too quickly.
    To be honest im not too bothered about performing (would be great though) I just like the idea of playing and writing songs. The lad I know seems serious though I dont know if all young guitarists are like that but he never laughs or jokes when practising just bangs his head with an evil look on his face lol.
    I know what your saying though its just all a bit of fun

ReputationRep:
    goto guitar shops adverts saying : "female guitarist looking for easygoing people to have fun making sings and jamming. my influences are: xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx
    contact me on:
    go on intenret websites with same sorta garb.
    Next year when you restart school/college/uni go straight to the music department with a flashy poster with the above on it and advertize for band members. september will be a great time to get a band together however the summer is the best time to be in a band (at my age anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shay904)
    just cos you play acoustic and are a girl won't stop you!! if anything it makes you different from the norm which is what people are looking for now.
    i'm a girl too and am in a band with 3 other girls. we've actually been quite successful doing acoustic arrangements of songs and our own compositions. actually we've got further than a lot of male rock bands around here because they're all pretty much doing the same thing.
    we got noticed by a few professional singers and managers and got lots of great experiences out of it. unfortunately now, we're all splitting for university so we're gigging over the summer to get the most out of it... i'm sure we'll get back together for a few things though during holidays.

seriously just get out there, don't be afraid to ask people, cos there might be others who are also a bit shy to ask.
    once you find some sort of arrangement that suits you, practise on covering some songs you like (chords and lyrics are easy to find on the internet... or you could do a completely instrumental group - whatever suits!) and ask a local pub or something to let you play.
    good luck!

oh by the way, be warey though... all-girl bands can experience many cat fights heh so it helps to be friends or to get guys in.
    yea it would be cool just 1 girl in a rock band Thing is according to the lad im really quiet and playing guitar in a band is the last thing he'd imagine me doing. There is 4 of them so 5 might be too many. Really though asking people would be the hardest thing. Well done with your band though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    yea it would be cool just 1 girl in a rock band Thing is according to the lad im really quiet and playing guitar in a band is the last thing he'd imagine me doing. There is 4 of them so 5 might be too many. Really though asking people would be the hardest thing. Well done with your band though :p:
    most people who know us said they wouldnt expect anything like that from us cos we're all so quiet.... sometimes it works out for the best!
    5 mightnt be too many for a band... some bands have 6-8 people in them and still work really well. it couldnt hurt to ask.
    would any of your friends consider it?
    try to check out if anyone you know plays any instruments or sings or would like to take up music.
    its a good way to make friends too.
    if you find someone, suggest meeting up to try playing together, just casually. once you get comfortable playing with one person, build on it by finding more people.
    again, good luck!!
    remember us when you're famous.

ReputationRep:
    most people who know us said they wouldnt expect anything like that from us cos we're all so quiet.... sometimes it works out for the best!
    5 mightnt be too many for a band... some bands have 6-8 people in them and still work really well. it couldnt hurt to ask.
    would any of your friends consider it?
    try to check out if anyone you know plays any instruments or sings or would like to take up music.
    its a good way to make friends too.
    if you find someone, suggest meeting up to try playing together, just casually. once you get comfortable playing with one person, build on it by finding more people.
    again, good luck!!
    remember us when you're famous.
    lol thanks for the advice I cant play acoustic too good so id best get practicing on my own first By which time i'l be 20 - nearly 21 :eek: Is that too old?

ReputationRep:
    yeah man our band has 6 people. two singers, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass and drums. works fine:yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    lol thanks for the advice I cant play acoustic too good so id best get practicing on my own first By which time i'l be 20 - nearly 21 :eek: Is that too old?
    nah thats not too old... no age is too old!! a lot of middle-aged people are only starting their music careers.
    nothing's stopping you!!

ReputationRep:
    nah thats not too old... no age is too old!! a lot of middle-aged people are only starting their music careers.
    nothing's stopping you!!
    I might as well practice for a few months then look for advertisements. Ive just looked on the internet but no one from my area

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.