Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This thread is really aimed at those who have offers from oxbridge or other top Uni's, when i was applying one of mates who i reckon would have got it didn't apply "because of the pressure" and at the time I didn't really understand. Now i realise what she was talking about, it is not the exams and revision. Think how many of your close family and friends dont know you got on offer, i'll guess not many, and then you come out of exam that didn't go to well and you can't stop thinking about what if i didn't get that A. Not only will you be disappointed but you have your whole family expecting you to get it to. Which is bad for me cos none of my family have ever gone to Uni before, and now because of which i can't stand the wait till August 18th. Was wondering if anyone was or is now i mentioned it feeling this pressure, and any ideas on coping with it.

ReputationRep:
    I can sympathise. But in my case, I KNOW I haven't made the offer (didn't answer enough questions in FM!), so they all know that. And I'm quite happy with my second choice. It's the school that's the problem for me - I don't think they've ever had anyone accepted to Cambridge before, so I think they'll be disappointed. But at the end of the day, it's your future, and if you didn't make the grades, then you didn't make them (and I'll see you in lectures at Durham ). Basically, I've just decided that I'll be happy eventually where ever I end up, and everyone else can go hang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by absentmindedone)
    I can sympathise. But in my case, I KNOW I haven't made the offer (didn't answer enough questions in FM!), so they all know that. And I'm quite happy with my second choice. It's the school that's the problem for me - I don't think they've ever had anyone accepted to Cambridge before, so I think they'll be disappointed. But at the end of the day, it's your future, and if you didn't make the grades, then you didn't make them (and I'll see you in lectures at Durham ). Basically, I've just decided that I'll be happy eventually where ever I end up, and everyone else can go hang.
    yeah that is tru, but still I hope(in the nicest possible way) I don't see you Durham in October if you know what i mean. lol

ReputationRep:
    I haven't personally experienced it; although my sister was expected to achieve grads permitting her to attend a top University, University College London, to study MChem. She unfortunately feels she has not achieved those necessary grades and will have to resort to her insurance choice, Newcastle. Though not as bad as what you must be going through with offers from Oxford, I can sympathise and hope I will not be in a similar position come two years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceberg_1)
    ...Which is bad for me cos none of my family have ever gone to Uni before, and now because of which i can't stand the wait till August 18th. Was wondering if anyone was or is now i mentioned it feeling this pressure, and any ideas on coping with it.
    It's one of the reasons i've kept a very low profile - not many of my relatives know i've got an offer, so i'm not under pressure that much, although i'm the first one to have even applied to oxbridge...i think of it this way...if i dont get in, so what...there is always next year. And anyway, what are your cousins and family going to do? kill you for getting rejected? - if that happens to me i'll be like 'up yours, at least i was gd enough to apply and get an offer', lol. But i admit, the exams had more meaning this summer...last year i was very relaxed, because there was nothing resting on it - it was a burden on myself this year because i know i'd be giving away a once in a life time opportunity if i messed up these exams - still got my fingers crossed come august
    pk

ReputationRep:
    Luckily I'm not going through this (yet!) but I sympathise. I've just done my ASs and have felt the presure even this year because I really want AAAA, not just for myself, but for all my teachers who are expecting me to get those grades and to make me feel more confident when applying to university. I'll be the first person in my whole family to go and if I apply to Cambridge, I'll have the added pressure of firstly getting an offer and seconly meeting it because only one person in my school has ever got in there. I guess all you can do is hope you get the grades (which I'm sure you will ) and if you don't, it's not the end of the world. You'll have a great time wherever you go, and your family, friends and teachers should be really supportive. After all, you were bright enough to get an offer in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    There is a guy in my year whose brother went to Cambridge, and for some odd reason he thinks his parents won't love him anymore if he doesn't get in too, which is totally retarded because they are both down to earth and accepting. I don't know how they raised such an uptight son with a bad inferiority complex (to his brother).

We keep telling him it doesn't matter what uni he goes to, but then he just goes off in a strop. TBH it's pretty immature for a 17 year old :>.<:

ReputationRep:
    When you actually get to university, you realise all this stress is a bit pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Luckily I'm not going through this (yet!) but I sympathise. I've just done my ASs and have felt the presure even this year because I really want AAAA, not just for myself, but for all my teachers who are expecting me to get those grades and to make me feel more confident when applying to university. I'll be the first person in my whole family to go and if I apply to Cambridge, I'll have the added pressure of firstly getting an offer and seconly meeting it because only one person in my school has ever got in there. I guess all you can do is hope you get the grades (which I'm sure you will ) and if you don't, it's not the end of the world. You'll have a great time wherever you go, and your family, friends and teachers should be really supportive. After all, you were bright enough to get an offer in the first place!
    My cousin has just finished 4 years at Cambridge and I will admit it's very competitive (you know that though). If you've been predicted AAAA, and felt you have met those, then good luck to you and especially good luck with Cambridge, you'll need it.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean! Everyone just seems to expect you'll get the grades. And if you don't make it not only do you have to deal with your own disappointment to contend with, but also the disappointment of others (family members). Plus for me it's even worse. I had a massive argument with my head of sixth form, and i know he is just praying that i dont get into Cambridge. I dont think i could deal with his smug little face if i didn't get in!!

Its also quite funny that everyone's reserve seems to be Durham if they dont get into Oxbridge. Im the same and i really hope i'm not going there next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    My cousin has just finished 4 years at Cambridge and I will admit it's very competitive (you know that though). If you've been predicted AAAA, and felt you have met those, then good luck to you and especially good luck with Cambridge, you'll need it.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling the same, exactly the same actually! I already don't think I have got my grades and the wait is killing me already because I still have that little bit of hope! But I know I've missed out too many questions in my Economics and Business and I was kinda relying on that! So yeh I guess I'll be going to Durham as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richy Rich$$)
    I know what you mean! Everyone just seems to expect you'll get the grades. And if you don't make it not only do you have to deal with your own disappointment to contend with, but also the disappointment of others (family members). Plus for me it's even worse. I had a massive argument with my head of sixth form, and i know he is just praying that i dont get into Cambridge. I dont think i could deal with his smug little face if i didn't get in!!
    Put that git in his place! Good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    tbh, if you've been accepted into Cambridge you really should be making your offer easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !Laxy!)
    tbh, if you've been accepted into Cambridge you really should be making your offer easily.
    That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation... Easier said than done, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !Laxy!)
    As you should know as you seem to be heading to cambridge that they not only look for ability but also potential, just because you haver potential and ability doesn't mean it should easy or that it is a given that you will get your grades. You way be confident that you have got in to cambridge but i bet you put alot of work in and the exam weren't a walk over and as always everyone (even thoses with oxbridge offers) all have different abilitys. remember that, this thread has started to help people with concerns to voice them and help content that they are not the only ones in that position and way be provide a little bit of comfort, i dont think your helping.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I agree. There is always pressure even if you are sitting on some great ums points and only need a D. That was the position I was in before the exams that have just gone and now I seriously don't even think I have managed that for various reasons, all it could take in one 15 mark question on a small bit of the syllabus that you skimmed over thinking it wouldnt be more than a 2 marker!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go for Oxbridge, despite parental pressure, on the basis that I could find a better course (i.e. one that I'd prefer, structure-wise, and that it actually taught by the uni) elsewhere

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.