ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hat boy)
    The project is to find the resistivity of a wire but i dont have a clue
    I need to finish tonight.
    HELP!!!!
    what do you want help with exactly?

try searching on the internet

ReputationRep:
    If you find anything, tell me, I'm doing the same coursework due in tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    you just need to investigate the factors, i.e. thickness of wire/length of wire, etc, then measure the voltage and current which goes through the wire

then just calculate the resistance and explain why its higher/lower

ReputationRep:
    Follow the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

if u wanna find the resistivity of a wire...u've got to set up the standard resistor circuit: but the difference is that the resistor is a long thin copper wire (the resistivity of which u want to measure) along with an ammeter/milliammeter in series (can't quite remember) as well as a voltmeter across the wire.

Anyway....use this circuit to find V across the wire and I in the circuit...use these to find resistance of the wire.

Then using a micrometer screw gauge and metre rule, measure width and length of wire used.

REMEMBER TO TAKE REPEAT READINGS FOR ACCURACY!!!!!

Use the diameter of the wire to find radius, then find cross sectional area.

Then, plug these values into the equation :

R = [(rho)*l] / A

Resistance = (Resistivity * length) / Cross sectional Area of Wire

The greek symbol for rho is a curly lower case "e".

Use SI units.

Therefore to find resistivity, u have to rearrange that formula slightly.

That shud work...though a more comlicated version wud probably be to take multiple readings...then plot a graph and find its gradient...

Hope u find this useful

G

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.