Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm an international student. I have already applied few universities in UK and I'm coming in this September. However, I keep receiving some pros and cons comments on these universities in this period. Since I'm at overseas, it is impossiblle for me to attend their open days

Here are the Universities and the courses that I apply:
    Middlesex University (Journalism and Communication studies /w Criminology)
    The University of Wales, Aberystwyth (Film & Television Studies)
    Northumbria University (Media Production)
    London Metropolitan University (Film and Broadcast Production)
    University of Derby (Film & Television Studies /w Broadcast Media)
    Staffordshire University(Broadcast Journalism)
    Sheffield Hallam University (Film & Media Production)
    Cardiff University (Journalism, Media and Broadcasting)

Hope you guys really can help me out. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I would personally say Cardiff is the best school on that list. I've heard they have a good media studies reputation, and they definitely have the best academic reputation on that list of universities.

Second choice would be Aberystwyth. Another good media studies department and second-best out of those universities for entry standards, academic reputation.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff sounds the best, I would reccommend you to not go to London met and Staffordshire....they are not the best universities.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice. Can anyone else give me more comments? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree that Cardiff is by far the best academically out of all those on your list.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if there no Cardiff on my list, Which do u think should be my 2nd preference? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenia99093)
    Well, if there no Cardiff on my list, Which do u think should be my 2nd preference? :confused:
    Northumbria. It has an excellent graduate employment record and good facilities etc.

ReputationRep:
    It says 'This subject (Film and Broadcast Production) from London Met was awarded an 'excellent' rating of 23 out of 24 in the most QAA university subject review'. Should I go for it? Or I should look at the University as a whole before i make up my mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenia99093)
    It says 'This subject (Film and Broadcast Production) from London Met was awarded an 'excellent' rating of 23 out of 24 in the most QAA university subject review'. Should I go for it? Or I should look at the University as a whole before i make up my mind?
    Personally I'd go with Aberystwyth as the insurance.

About London Met - it has a very poor overall academic reputation in this country - so it stands to reason it will be even less respected in a foreign country, where only unis at the good end of the range are generally known about. Therefore, if you will be aiming to get a job in your native country, there's a possiblility you might find it very difficult indeed if your degree is from London Met.

And even if you're aiming to eventually get a job in this country, then I would advise not going for London Met - but as it has good teaching for your subject, it would do as an insurance place. I've heard really good things about Cardiff, so I would definitely put that as the first choice!

Generally speaking I would say that course reputation is pretty well as important as the reputation of the overall university when making decisions like yours - but in the case of the unis right near the bottom of the tables (as London Met is) I'd say overall reputation of a university is more important. Having said that, though, unis near the bottom of the tables do tend to be good for vocational courses.

As your degree appears to be quite vocational, I suppose it mainly boils down to whether you would be able to get a good job after your degree or not if you went to London Met. Good luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    The reputation of uni's varies depending on the course. I would advise that you look overall at the location, facilities etc as well as the course itself such as the differences in modules, and which you think youd rather do etc for what you want to do after your degree. Theres alot to be taken into consideration obv.Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Thanks for your advices. What do u think about Middlesex University then? I'm super-worried about my future studies because i had a very bad experience in Australia. Sigh! I'm scared to make a wrong decision again.

Middlesex is the only university from the list above that offers me a place currently. I'm still waiting for the replies from other universities thrr UCAS. I sent my form on 27/6/05. Don't know how long do i have to wait for the replies? If i got the offer from Aberystwyth, I'm just worried will be this city very boring? I need lively city to overcome my homesick. lol If i can't get any offer from other universities, i have to accept Middlesex. So, there are a lot of things i need to consider about before i make any crucial decision.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, is that better if a course provide work placement? Or it doesn't matter if there is no work placement because u can gain those experience later? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if this would help but here goes:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...628873,00.html

http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...163901,00.html

Just a word of caution, my counselors told me not to depend to much on the league table. I guess the best advice that we can obtain is from the former / current students of each respective universities, see what they have to say about it. =)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.