Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't not knowing the rules make it more interesting?
    Chess is cool. Talking about chess isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I think I invented a better game of chess once which involved sliding them across the board in order to knock the other ones over, then you get those pieces and they have to knock them over to get them back.. take it in turns.. first one with all pieces knocked over loses!!

ReputationRep:
    it gets bad press for some reason. perhaps people see it as an old persons game (?) its good fun tho i think

Tbh if you enjoy it don't let peoples comments get to you. they are often ignorant of it. challenge them to a game and show them how its done

ReputationRep:
    And chess helps to combat Alzheimer's. As does juggling.

ReputationRep:
    chess and cool aren’t usually used in the same sentence... but i enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    If you're really worried set up a poll, if you're not bothered what people think, then ignore everything

ReputationRep:
    It's shameful to have as a 'hobby'. But I do enjoy the odd game with friends, it can be quite fun, and intellectually stimulating. So yes...completely uncool...

ReputationRep:
    It just doesn't sound right.....

Hi.
    Hello.
    I play chess!
    Oh..
    Yes...
    Ok then.
    Bye.
    Bye.

ReputationRep:
    I used to play chess for my county men's team at 16...

ReputationRep:
    I played chess in some (inter)national 'sports' competition - we won... I'm sooooo cool.

ReputationRep:
    Well. I wouldn't play chess as a hobby. But I see nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    I think I invented a better game of chess once which involved sliding them across the board in order to knock the other ones over, then you get those pieces and they have to knock them over to get them back.. take it in turns.. first one with all pieces knocked over loses!!
    haha now that's a game I can play!!

ReputationRep:
    yes, my m8 plays bowls and hes also about to comit suicide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by se77en)
    its sad if you think its cool
    More people had this opinion some 50 years ago. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    My hobbys include Chess. This has lead to a lot of stick from my friends. Thus i ask you, is chess really such an uncool hobby to have?
    Who the hell told you that, shows intellect doesnt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    My hobbys include Chess. This has lead to a lot of stick from my friends. Thus i ask you, is chess really such an uncool hobby to have?
    no way.

I rock at chess, and I am still the coolest of the cool... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's uncool because it has been given the image as pretty much THE "game for nerds". Playing something like Go for example, wouldn't be seen as uncool, at least not as much as chess, but possibly as something quite interesting and 'fresh'.

Just playing the odd game in your spare time is ok, but having it as a hobby is not gonna score you 'cool points' :p: They'll forget giving you stick about chess eventually as long as you don't go up to your mates at the pub and suggest a game of chess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    Not to me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think chess is a 'cool' hobby to have, it just doesn't have that stigma. But i enjoy playing it, and normally find that its people who can't play it who criticise it.

ReputationRep:
    These people who say chess is not cool, don't quite understand the definition of 'cool'. :cool: < is not cool, < is cool

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.