Turn on thread page Beta

is it seriously THAT uncool to play chess? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewsJoseph)
    You have to be smart to BE GOOD at chess, but it's not too hard to learn how to play it. I managed, afterall.
    Not necessarily. Although I'm quite smart, I lack common sense more than Frank Spencer (ask your parents), and in the beginning (there was the word ) I didn't think ahead at all, just playing stuff I felt like. But I read loads of books, taught myself, and worked so hard that I'm now one of the top 60 players in my county (albeit this is Cumbria), and I'm getting better every day

All you people who think chessplayers are sexy; I will remind you all that I'm single and available! If anyone wants to be my TSR girl/boyfriend then just ask away And I've got a correspondence game going on on here for the championship atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrSornia)
    I'm now one of the top 60 players in my county (albeit this is Cumbria)
    I'll give you a match if you're up for it

Notts vs. Cumbria...

ReputationRep:
    i think it's safer to assume that in most (young) people's opinions nowadays, it's far cooler to play chess than to play croquet!

ReputationRep:
    ^^
    LoL

ReputationRep:
    Chess is a great game. I just wish I was better at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seth)
    I'll give you a match if you're up for it

Notts vs. Cumbria...
    Yeah, why not I already have a game going on but I'm also in a correspondence tourney so one more won't hurt!
    You can choose your colour, if you're Black then 1 e4 else if 1 e4/c4, e5 and if 1 d4/Nf3, d5. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    People people, i relly find chess a good sport.. I enjoy playing it.. being psychological.. trying to defeat your enemy, trying to think what he is thinking and trying to counteract with him. The feeling of defeating someone over this game is amazing, especially if you know he is damn good...

that proves you have a better brain than him. And proves that he is dumber than you.

could it be any better???

I used to be a member of the school chess club. I was rubbish though so I left before they kicked me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    People people, i relly find chess a good sport.. I enjoy playing it.. being psychological.. trying to defeat your enemy, trying to think what he is thinking and trying to counteract with him. The feeling of defeating someone over this game is amazing, especially if you know he is damn good...

that proves you have a better brain than him. And proves that he is dumber than you.

could it be any better???
    It's *******s like that, makes chess seem uncool.

ReputationRep:
    people only say that its crap as they have no idea how to play at all, and no, knowing how the pieces move does not really mean you know how to play. people slate it just because they dont understand it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Chess in itself isn't uncool, playing the odd game on holiday or something.

However, to list it when somebody asks you what you're into is beyond sad.

ReputationRep:
    Im terrible at chess but I dont play it much anyway. Go is fun though...

ReputationRep:
    only people who dont understand chess criticise it. I am not afraid to say that chess is definitely a hobby of mine, i dont see why this is sad - i think it is far more sad to say that you have a pathetic, piece of rubbish hobby like the terrible shallow game of poker (designed and played by idiots).

ReputationRep:
    chess is alright to play now and again but not for a hobby otherwise its just sad and uncool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    My hobbys include Chess. This has lead to a lot of stick from my friends. Thus i ask you, is chess really such an uncool hobby to have?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dwight66)
    only people who dont understand chess criticise it. I am not afraid to say that chess is definitely a hobby of mine, i dont see why this is sad - i think it is far more sad to say that you have a pathetic, piece of rubbish hobby like the terrible shallow game of poker (designed and played by idiots).
    Poker is a sociable game, 5 mates can play together and have a laugh, chess is a 2 player game and not really the kind of atmosphere in which mates can chill out and have a few drinks and a laugh.

I understand chess perfectly (i'd probably beat you 5 times if we played 10) i just think it's a bit of a geeky thing to have as a hooby.

*Awaits Politically correct people to go mental*

ReputationRep:
    Chess is good fun. The reason it isn't as popular as games such as poker is because it requires intelligence and skill. It's not something I'm particularly into now, but if I did enjoy it, then I would list it as a hobby. I used to play when I was younger and it was one of the "cool" things to do in Juniors (something to do with the little fluffy bug creatures you won perhaps).

I don't think people would abuse you if you put down, say chess and boxing as your hobbies to be honest. And remember: people dislike what they don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    The best part of playing chess is when you play it in a park, lots of people watching you play.. and.. whoever loses gets replaced, challenging the winner...and goes on and on and on.

Its not meant to be cool, but it is meant to be pretty fun (for me at least)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris.)
    Poker is a sociable game, 5 mates can play together and have a laugh, chess is a 2 player game and not really the kind of atmosphere in which mates can chill out and have a few drinks and a laugh.

I understand chess perfectly (i'd probably beat you 5 times if we played 10) i just think it's a bit of a geeky thing to have as a hooby.

*Awaits Politically correct people to go mental*
    no, i can guarantee you would never beat me. That is a stupid thing to say that you would be beat 5 out of 10 times. I would simply tear you to pieces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris.)
    Chess is cool, but I prefer a game of Texas Hold 'em with mates.

When you are playing with people you know well, you usually have a good idea if someone is trying to bluff, but It's so good when two people think they have good hands.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.