The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i think if a guy says he's into chess, it can make him seem sexy and intellectual! it is skilled game and i don't think its sad at all to list it as your hobby. poker also has its advantages - more sociable etc. i quite like a good game of draughts, as it's not as demanding as chess but still requires some strategy
Reply 81
chess is only good for people who are good at it, i play it quite a bit and i dont get bored.
Reply 82
4Ed
i think it's safer to assume that in most (young) people's opinions nowadays, it's far cooler to play chess than to play croquet!

croquet is so sad its cool though! I mean, assuming you're not taking it too seriously. :biggrin:
Reply 83
I think chess is quite cool, i dont play it much but it can be quite fun to play every now and then.
MR_JR
My hobbys include Chess. This has lead to a lot of stick from my friends. Thus i ask you, is chess really such an uncool hobby to have?

Hahahaha!!!! You lame sucker! Chess is for LOSERS!!!!!!!! :hahaha: :aetsch:
Reply 85
Chess is for smart ass people, you dont play chess cuz u dont understand it do you?? or just bad at it??

not meant to flame =]
nasht
Chess is for smart ass people, you dont play chess cuz u dont understand it do you?? or just bad at it??

not meant to flame =]

No!!!!!!!! YOU my friend, are the dumb one. I understand it! I'm French!!!! I understand everything!!!!!! Go ahead and stick your head in a toilet...
Reply 87
I dont think its uncool! Actually, I'm quite jealous of chessplayers, since I've never had the patience to learn the game properly...
Reply 88
Herleif Arkadios
croquet is so sad its cool though! I mean, assuming you're not taking it too seriously. :biggrin:

oh dear. I think you would definitely call me a serious player! :p:
~CookieMonster~
Hahahaha!!!! You lame sucker! Chess is for LOSERS!!!!!!!! :hahaha: :aetsch:

Now if thats a joe then im osrry but it wasnt funny

If it was malicious id like to direct you to a eurostar advert...
eurostar

Dont worry. If in 2012 London gets too crowded, you can always go to Paris
Reply 90
No!!!!!!!! YOU my friend, are the dumb one. I understand it! I'm French!!!! I understand everything!!!!!! Go ahead and stick your head in a toilet...

i dont understand why people take it so seriously. I said no offense, im sorry if I offendedyou or anything man... I just dont understand it
I dont think its uncool as we had a chess board in my common room at school and even those who considered themselves to be cool used to play, i was surprised at how many people knew how to play. I learned just from watching others play although am not the best player.
Reply 92
chess is the most amazing game ever...how can u say its uncool if u dont know how to play it?
I was into chess in a fairly big way at uni, but I got the piss taken out of me a lot by those who didn't know any better. I was board 5 and sometimes 4 on our uni chess team, and was the treasurer of the club in the second year.

Don't find that many ladies that much into it, although we did have a couple of them in the club in the second year.

Marcus
Reply 94
I am cool and I enjoy playing chess.
So no!
shoulda poll'd that come to think of it...

Im glad that the chess thing aint too losery :biggrin:

then again if it was id still play it ...
Reply 96
maybe i could give a simultaneous exhibition for all players under say 2000 elo, who are willing to participate.
Reply 97
Chess >>>>> any other game

Chess is a real man's game...only the best can master chess..

Its in fact "cool" to play chess...axe anybody
Set it up and ill join

ive never put myself up for rating... best u can say iis that on gameknot my rating is 1235 odd IIRC
I like chess, it can get boring (if its a long game) but it aint as bad as some ppl are saying. I learnt how to play chess when I was 8 years old so it aint that hard if someone explains

Latest

Trending

Trending