Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i think if a guy says he's into chess, it can make him seem sexy and intellectual! it is skilled game and i don't think its sad at all to list it as your hobby. poker also has its advantages - more sociable etc. i quite like a good game of draughts, as it's not as demanding as chess but still requires some strategy

ReputationRep:
    chess is only good for people who are good at it, i play it quite a bit and i dont get bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i think it's safer to assume that in most (young) people's opinions nowadays, it's far cooler to play chess than to play croquet!
    croquet is so sad its cool though! I mean, assuming you're not taking it too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I think chess is quite cool, i dont play it much but it can be quite fun to play every now and then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    My hobbys include Chess. This has lead to a lot of stick from my friends. Thus i ask you, is chess really such an uncool hobby to have?
    Hahahaha!!!! You lame sucker! Chess is for LOSERS!!!!!!!! :hahaha: :aetsch:

ReputationRep:
    Chess is for smart ass people, you dont play chess cuz u dont understand it do you?? or just bad at it??

not meant to flame =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    Chess is for smart ass people, you dont play chess cuz u dont understand it do you?? or just bad at it??

not meant to flame =]
    No!!!!!!!! YOU my friend, are the dumb one. I understand it! I'm French!!!! I understand everything!!!!!! Go ahead and stick your head in a toilet...

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its uncool! Actually, I'm quite jealous of chessplayers, since I've never had the patience to learn the game properly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herleif Arkadios)
    croquet is so sad its cool though! I mean, assuming you're not taking it too seriously.
    oh dear. I think you would definitely call me a serious player! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~CookieMonster~)
    Hahahaha!!!! You lame sucker! Chess is for LOSERS!!!!!!!! :hahaha: :aetsch:
    Now if thats a joe then im osrry but it wasnt funny

If it was malicious id like to direct you to a eurostar advert...
    (Original post by eurostar)
    Dont worry. If in 2012 London gets too crowded, you can always go to Paris

ReputationRep:
    No!!!!!!!! YOU my friend, are the dumb one. I understand it! I'm French!!!! I understand everything!!!!!! Go ahead and stick your head in a toilet...
    i dont understand why people take it so seriously. I said no offense, im sorry if I offendedyou or anything man... I just dont understand it

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its uncool as we had a chess board in my common room at school and even those who considered themselves to be cool used to play, i was surprised at how many people knew how to play. I learned just from watching others play although am not the best player.

ReputationRep:
    chess is the most amazing game ever...how can u say its uncool if u dont know how to play it?

ReputationRep:
    I was into chess in a fairly big way at uni, but I got the piss taken out of me a lot by those who didn't know any better. I was board 5 and sometimes 4 on our uni chess team, and was the treasurer of the club in the second year.

Don't find that many ladies that much into it, although we did have a couple of them in the club in the second year.

Marcus

ReputationRep:
    I am cool and I enjoy playing chess.
    So no!

ReputationRep:
    shoulda poll'd that come to think of it...

Im glad that the chess thing aint too losery

then again if it was id still play it ...

ReputationRep:
    maybe i could give a simultaneous exhibition for all players under say 2000 elo, who are willing to participate.

ReputationRep:
    Chess >>>>> any other game

Chess is a real man's game...only the best can master chess..

Its in fact "cool" to play chess...axe anybody

ReputationRep:
    Set it up and ill join

ive never put myself up for rating... best u can say iis that on gameknot my rating is 1235 odd IIRC

ReputationRep:
    I like chess, it can get boring (if its a long game) but it aint as bad as some ppl are saying. I learnt how to play chess when I was 8 years old so it aint that hard if someone explains

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.