Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to say that there is no such thing as fate, but I do not believe that, if there is, we are able to perceive it. Someone who thinks they are fated to do something could just as easily fail, someone who thinks meeting the right girl was fate may think again when they break up. You can't tell what might be fate or not. It is important to make your own decisions in life, not leave it to chance.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the line "everything happens for a reason". If our lives are entirely determined like that, our society would fall apart. If we were determined to commit a murder, for example - how would it be justifiable to punish us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    I hate the line "everything happens for a reason". If our lives are entirely determined like that, our society would fall apart. If we were determined to commit a murder, for example - how would it be justifiable to punish us?
    We'd be destined to be punished!!11 :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    so what happened tonight,I believe in fate aswell,I feel that everything happenes for a reason sometimes something happpens and i go like DAAAHAAAAA

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe in fate at all, I like to think I can control my own life through the choices I make.

ReputationRep:
    I think everything happens for a reason but it doesn't always seem clear what the reasons are until a while after. I guess that idea gets me through life or when I make stupid decisions, very optimistic view point but ah well.

ReputationRep:
    Things do 'happen for a reason', but they aren't pre-determined!

for example, me sitting here right now has happened for a reason, the fact that i cant be bothered doing anything else, not because of some strange entity, or even a gene which is determining my current actions. I have consciously chose to do this.

ReputationRep:
    I think theres an element of luck involved in fate. You have to define fate first though. Everyone has their own interpretation of "fate". So what you think of fate may not be the same as mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amlea)
    I think theres an element of luck involved in fate. You have to define fate first though. Everyone has their own interpretation of "fate". So what you think of fate may not be the same as mine.
    to me 'fate' is that our actions are pre-determined, and that we have no free will in order to change future outcomes.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fate

ReputationRep:
    i believe in fate to some extent. i think coincidences are the same as it being fate. for me, even if not thinking a reason for everything, if someone happens and in my own probability it was not going to happen, i think its due to fate.

there is no right or wrong answer. if fate existed, maybe all our choices were pre determined and that us thinking of a decision is part of the process of fate and we just like to think its our choice. then again, if choice existed, you'd choose fate didnt exist and everything in your life was what you made of it. i think both are 50/50 even if one is slightly more currently in life because they will eventually balance out. well my theory of inevitability of fate and choice

heres a post i created in the philosophy forum for those who are interested in more stuff... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t96134.html

ReputationRep:
    I believe it in

ReputationRep:
    ^ and I can't type

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley_2k4)
    ^ and I can't type
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't believe that things happen for a reason, I believe that there are coincedences and that we make our own decisions and that our outcomes are affected by our own personal decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd27)
    Were you fated to write that? Or did you choose to be rude and react badly to a simple joke?
    If you're going to post in a public forum, you may have to come to terms with the fact that others will disagree with you. Doesn't mean you can't argue back...

I don't believe in fate, just coincidence. Here's why: have you ever thought "i wonder what john's up to at the moment"? If you were to never see him again, you'd not give it a moment's thought. But if you were to bump into him, you'd think it was amazing, unexplainable that you were just thinking of him and now you've met him. Similarly if things just happen to fall into place for you, that doesn't mean it is fate. It's just a series of coincidences that worked out for the best. If the series of coincidences didn't result in a good result, then you wouldn't think anything of it. e.g. if you lose your phone at a bar, think you've found it but effectively try and steal a beautiful woman's phone, get talking and then find out it fell out on your seat, you might think it was fate that you lost your phone and met that girl. If you had lost your phone, looked around, sat back down and found it again, you would never have thought about it again. Things happen for logical reasons, with both good and bad results. Taking out personal choice and responsibility from the equation by assigning it all to fate is like putting all your money on a horse - it could pay off, but if it doesn't you'll be screwed.
    There's a difference between a joke and a stab at someone and that was the latter.

ReputationRep:
    i dont usually believe in fate, but looking back over events, sometimes things seem to "link" in strange ways, almost guiding me.....but its all gypsy fortune teller rubbish

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you are fated to make things happen???
    Argh I don't know I'm not making sense at all. Am all confused now :rolleyes:
    Hmmm I guess I believe in bits of both...

ReputationRep:
    How do we know that we are not just a big life simulation? We could just exist to find out the meaning of the world, the universe and everything in it. (the answer of course is 42- see/read hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) The seven main things that stop the known universe going kaboom are so finely tuned that maybe there is a powerful entitie controling the lot of us! AAAAAAAAH its all so confusing!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thread. Sorry...I'm not criticising your opinion or anything here (lol)...but it's something that can't be answered and will just open up to arguments. :rolleyes:

Fate may exist, I may choose to go to university and I may choose not to, but I have to make one of those choices and it may be fate for me to choose whichever one I do choose. So I have choice, but whichever choice I make is fate...so really...fate is just whatever you choose surely? Therefore, FATE = WHAT THE OUTCOME OF ANY PARTICULAR CHOICE IS. :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://blogs.salon.com/0001561/stori...terminism.html

for anyone interested..

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.