Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I do not believe in fate, though I wish I could - it would make things so much easier!! Not believing in fate deprives you of a kind of optimism; also, it means you have to take all matters into your own hands and if something goes wrong you can't say "it wasn't meant to be".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I do not believe in fate, though I wish I could - it would make things so much easier!! Not believing in fate deprives you of a kind of optimism; also, it means you have to take all matters into your own hands and if something goes wrong you can't say "it wasn't meant to be".
    huh??? if you didn't believe in fate, then you would be more optimistic as you would know that you could change the eventual outcome for the better....

ie a football match, if your fate is pre-determined, then you will be less optimistic as you will know that the match has already been settled, and that you cannot increase your chances of winning. If it were free will, you could choose to train the team more often, you could motivate them, and get them ready for the match, believing that you chose to encourage the players to perform their best, and increase chances of winning.......

Did that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    There's a difference between a joke and a stab at someone and that was the latter.
    I agree. There is. However, that difference is in point of view rather than content, so in fact it was both.

Neat trick to avoid tackling points that you aren't prepared to deal with..

ReputationRep:
    The concept of Fate like most thing in this world is undefinable and incpmprehensible.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    well i know what fate is said to be from the dictionary but i like the believe its a mix of luck, coincidence, things that you have done, things that someone else has done and if there is a higher power things that they have contributed all put together to create the situation.
    I dont think anyone can distinguish what makes a situation happen but i think thats part of the fun and to just accept whats happened and make the best from it is important.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Ive had many debates about this one before...

To believe in fate, is to believe that our lives have been mapped out before us. In order for that to be possible, then there must exist some kind of supreme being to plan it all out.

I'm not a religious person at all, I believe there is no omnipotent god watching over us. Therefore, there is no pre-written path I have to take, the reason things happen (or not) is down to me, and everyone else.

Fate, to me, is nothing more than what people use as an excuse or as a cushion when things don't turn out as they'd planned. It's perfectly plausable that it all could be true, but until someone proves it either way using a time machine, I'll live my life taking responsibility for my own actions.

My 2p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    Do you believe everything happens for a reason or do you think everything is just a big coincedence?

I wasn't really sure but after tonight i definitely think everything happens for a reason.
    I think what goes around comes around. But our fate is not predetermined IMO. As a physicist the laws of physics do not allow fate or determinism - and I am quite happy with it like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeLboY)
    Hi, Ive had many debates about this one before...

To believe in fate, is to believe that our lives have been mapped out before us. In order for that to be possible, then there must exist some kind of supreme being to plan it all out.

I'm not a religious person at all, I believe there is no omnipotent god watching over us. Therefore, there is no pre-written path I have to take, the reason things happen (or not) is down to me, and everyone else.

Fate, to me, is nothing more than what people use as an excuse or as a cushion when things don't turn out as they'd planned. It's perfectly plausable that it all could be true, but until someone proves it either way using a time machine, I'll live my life taking responsibility for my own actions.

My 2p
    would using a time machine prove the existence of fate? If i, for example, stepped outside now i'd get soaking wet. If however, i went into the past and stayed in, then i would never get wet.... this is why i cant understand how fate works..... if someone retained the knowledge of the outcome of stepping outside when he used the time machine, then fate would not determine what he would do.....

Thus, if we invent a time machine, then we will be unable to retain information when travelling into the past, and would be unable to change the outcome because fate would prevent us from doing so...

ok, someone shoot me now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The only way you could prove or disprove fate would be if you actually changed the outcome of a particular event using time travel (and then could prove to others that you had made this change)

I would assume that if time travel (backwards) was accomplished, then the person travelling through time wouldn't forget where he'd come from. That is only an assumption though, I hardly have a strong grasp of the theory behind it.

But then someone could easily step up and say that the person was always meant to go back in time and change things, therefore it was already his fate.

Hmmm... I've hit a bit of a brick wall.. Now I think about it, fate is a horrible idea, which will never be proven or disproven until the second coming of Christ. Then we can ask him...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.