Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my GCSEs and I'm taking Law for A level but to be honest I don't know much about the subject.

My school were not very helpful at all in advising us on A level courses, they basicly gave us a form to fill in and were told to get on with it with absolutely no description of the course and how it works.

I took Law mostly because my Dad is a solicitor, he's just got his Master's degree in the subject so he will be able to help me loads. I think I might enjoy it and have an advantage over others having a fairly good understanding of how law works from my father.

Can any of you explain to me what the course is like and how hard it is? or even what the lessons are like? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yep! What board are you taking? I'm doing AQA, but the main two boards seem to be OCR and AQA and the courses are actually fairly similar.

What are your other subjects? If you're taking another essay based subject you'll probably find Law easier at AS level, as it mainly consists of memorising a lot of information then regurgitating it in a reasonably articulate way in a very short space of time.

I don't think you'll regret choosing it - apparently universities see it as a "doss" subject which seems totally bizarre to me, but at A2 level it's really fascinating as you get to study the law in its wider, more holistic context sociologically (is that a word?? lol) and in connection with morals, justice and ethics (sooo interesting and great topics to spark off debates ) AS is somewhat less interesting - you spend two modules learning about the structure of the legal system and its personnel. I found the sections on juries, statutory interpretation, judges and judicial precedent the most interesting I think. You learn a lot of facts and also engage in some basic analysis and evaluation - this usually consists of advantages and disadvantages of a certain process of type of legal personnel.

The third module of AS (I *think* this is similar for OCR but am not sure) consists of criminal law and tort, where you have to use your brain a bit more to apply the rules of law to various situations.

If you want a taster of the courses or need a decent revision site as some stage, I'm sure most people would recommend www.lawteacher.net

Hope this has been of some help and that you enjoy the course It's not too difficult as long as you are prepared to learn plenty of info - I spent 5-6 days learning mod 1 of law (a record for revision for me ) and got 90/90 so it can't be that bad

ReputationRep:
    Hi Beth

AS Law is very useful to learn, not that difficult, and is very interesting in places Go for it"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Hi Beth

AS Law is very useful to learn, not that difficult, and is very interesting in places Go for it"
    Very true! hey! are you on MSN? will try to log in again blasted thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Very true! hey! are you on MSN? will try to log in again blasted thing
    I'm always on MSN

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea what exam board I'll be doing but it seems interesting, and I will be doing history as well which I suppose is fairly similar in terms of essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    I've no idea what exam board I'll be doing but it seems interesting, and I will be doing history as well which I suppose is fairly similar in terms of essays.
    I'd say history would be an ideal subject to have alongside it & generally speaking, if you can do history I wouldn't think you'd have any problem with law - the skills are similar but at the risk of being controversial I'd say history is *mildly* harder as teh questions alter in more confusing ways - in AQA law the questions are usually identical to the previous year's except phrased ever so slightly differently :rolleyes:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.