‘Britain should be made to apologise for the slave trade’ Watch

seung12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Right, a while ago, myself and some of my classmates-(who are from Africa etc), were discussing the history of the slave trade. They are adamant that Britain should apologise and be made to ‘pay-back’.

Indeed, the slave trade was one of the most brutal and horrifying time in world history, but they are persistent it was entirely Britain’s fault, when other European countries were as much to blame, for the transatlantic slave trade. It was also something that occurred 300- years ago. We have no control over history, so it infuriates me when they prove so deterministic and will not yield to the concept that it is not Britain’s fault entirely!!!!!!!!
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why should we apologise for something which happened hundreds of years ago? All it does it put more emphasise on current racial differences and reignited the 'we're different from them' type thoughts. History shouldnt be forgotten but we also shouldnt be digging up the past.
seung12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reue)
Why should we apologise for something which happened hundreds of years ago? All it does it put more emphasise on current racial differences and reignited the 'we're different from them' type thoughts. History shouldnt be forgotten but we also shouldnt be digging up the past.

That was exactly what I said!
Installation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hehe, as if it matters now anyway - I doubt any of the people currently around were involved in it...
Phobia27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No... we shouldn't be made to apologise for things we haven't done, only our ancestors did.

I'm not going to walk up to a black person and say 'I'm really sorry for what my great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather did to your great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather. It won't happen again.' :facepalm:
Right>Left
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
pay back who?
Barden
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by seung12)
Right, a while ago, myself and some of my classmates-who are from Africa etc, were discussing the history of the slave trade. They are adamant that Britain should apologise and be made to ‘pay-back’.

Indeed, the slave trade was one of the most brutal and horrifying time in world history, but they are persistent it was entirely Britain’s fault, when other European countries were as much to blame, for the transatlantic slave trade. It was also something that occurred 300-400 years ago. We have no control over history, so it infuriates me when they prove so deterministic and will not yield to the concept that it is not Britain’s fault entirely.

I think we should 'pay-back' to our former colonies, and we are already doing so with our aid packages in many cases.

These other European countries aren't very numerous though...in order of how much to blame for the slave trade/post colonial economic problems of ex-colonies, I'd say it goes (starting with the most to blame): Britain (and USA after independence), France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Germany

I base that on the populations and land masses of those nation's colonies and thus how many slaves would have been used and therefore how implicit each nation could be considered to be.
ttx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Britain did apologise. In 2006 Tony Blair wrote an article in New Nation condemning Britain's involvement in the slave trade as a crime against humanity.
seung12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Right>Left)
pay back who?

The 'people of Africa'...
User237126
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No. What a retarded idea....
Bunkd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Belgium needs to be higher up in that list; it's known as having been brutal to the "barbarians"
Right>Left
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by seung12)
The 'people of Africa'...

So we who never done anything should pay back people who never experienced anything? NO I SAY!!
JW92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In Britain we are only too happy to celebrate aspects of our history. Victory in the Second World War had nothing to do with most British people today, yet most readily celebrate it and are proud of it. It is hypocritical to then overlook the murkier aspects of our history and to not feel ashamed and sorry for the fact that those things happened. If we haven't already, we should apologise for the slave trade.
Gueirguiy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Considering slavery was already happening in Africa before Britain arrived and also taking into account that it was Africans who sold the black slaves to white owners then your friends might as well be asking their own race for an apology while at it.
ResidentNutter
Report 10 years ago
I thought stopping it would have sufficed...
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The slave trade was actually beneficial to many black people though. Not the ones who were forced to be slaves of course - but had it not been for the slave trade which brought their ancestors over, many black people today would not be enjoying a comfortable British lifestyle, but would instead be struggling to find food in Africa somewhere. So I don't really see how it makes any sense to apologise to them for it

The people who deserve an apology are the people who were actually forced to work as slaves - but it's a bit late for that...
seung12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Right>Left)
So we who never done anything should pay back people who never experienced anything? NO I SAY!!

HEAR!HEAR!
Smeh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wtf?
I'm black and even I think your friends are idiots.
Rancorous
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Stupid idea - it's actually something which is seriously contended by some (but few) academics.

An apology is accepting culpability for something, otherwise it is meaningless. No one can apologise for something they haven't done/happened hundreds of years ago and was therefore out of their control.

You can express REGRET that slavery happened and accept it was a terrible thing, but you cannot apologise for it.

There's also another issue as to who is expected to issue the apology. After all, slavery has been around for millenia, Britain didn't start it but, in fact ended all of it, much against her economic interest. Further, why not get African states to apologise for it? The slave traders were blacks who sold the slaves to the British.
Gueirguiy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JW92)
In Britain we are only too happy to celebrate aspects of our history. Victory in the Second World War had nothing to do with most British people today, yet most readily celebrate it and are proud of it. It is hypocritical to then overlook the murkier aspects of our history and to not feel ashamed and sorry for the fact that those things happened. If we haven't already, we should apologise for the slave trade.
Read my post above, we were wrong but so were the black slave traders, there's no point to apologize because both parties were in the wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (363)
66.97%
No (179)
33.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise