Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if i intend to research on the plots of mary, queen of scots to Elizabeth(ER). Will this inverstigation question be suitable: what were the consequences to ER from mary ?

or should it be what were the consequences to Mary ?

or what were the consequences for mary ?

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the angle you are taking. From what you've written it looks like you mean:

"What were the consequences of the plots by Mary, Queen of Scots, for Elizabeth I?"

ReputationRep:
    u think "What were the consequences of Elizabeth I" is ok ?

i just made it more simpler

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesn't make sense. What were the consequences of Elizabeth I means what were the consequences of her personally, but you don't specify on who, and that's not what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    I agree although I would suggest changing the title to "What were the consequences of the plots in favour of Mary, Queen of Scots, for Elizabeth I?" as she was never proved to be directly implicated in most of them. It might be a bit narrow as a topic though. If you wanted to examine what effect Mary's existence had on Elizabeth's reign rather than just that of the plots you could use a title such as "What effect did Mary, Queen of Scots, have on the reign of Elizabeth I?". I realise that title isn't perfect but it would allow more scope so you could talk about her assuming the arms of England and stuff like that. Mind you it might be better to keep the study focused and detailed on the plots. I'm not sure. Oh dear I'm rambling again...

ReputationRep:
    what about:

"What were the consequences for Elizabeth I"

ReputationRep:
    Sounds better, but you'd still need an 'of plots relating to her life' or some other such note, to explain yourself fully. The length of the question really shouldn't matter. Mine was;

Mary, Queen of Scots was responsible for her own fate. To what extent do you agree with this statement?

ReputationRep:
    It depends whether you want to focus on Mary or on the plots (because Mary was not directly involved in most, if any, of them). If the former, you should use a title like "What threat did Mary, Queen of Scots, pose to Elizabeth in the years whatever?", if the latter, "What threat did plots pose to Elizabeth in the years whatever?".

ReputationRep:
    what exactly are you doing the research for? i had to do an OCR A2 historical investigation coursework this year and i researched a similar question ("to what extent did elizabeth's catholic subjects pose a dangerous threat to the queen and her religious settlement?") i was advised to convert questions into "to what extent..." questions that allow you to make precise judgements. i don't know if you're doing the same type of thing, but if you are you could try, "what was the extent of the threat posed to elizabeth by mary's activities?" or similar. if that's not the kind of thing you're doing then either "what were the consequences for mary" or "what were the consequences for elizabeth" would work, depending on which queen you want to focus on.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 6, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.