Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know that there was a similar thread here quite a while ago but I can't find it. Sorry!
    Basically, I would like to apply to a different (and better) school for my A-level years. My old school is trying to bribe me to stay by "offering" me the Head Boy position. Now I am not a big fan of such bribes but I would like to know what I'm missing out on. Most adults I have spoken to have told me that the Head Boy position is looked at with respect by admission tutors. It shows "leadership qualities". Just how true is that? I have read several times that things like this are not as important as so many people try to make it out to be as Unis are far more interested in academics.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take it. In my school the captains usually end up going to extremely good universities.

ReputationRep:
    Not in mine...go to the better school.

ReputationRep:
    In my school, the Head Boy and Girl have to spend huge amouts of their own time arranging school events etc, so it's not an easy job and may affect your grades because you'll have less time to spend on your A-levels. I'd imagine university admissions tutors would be quite impressed with it and it's definitely something you could mention on your personal statement, but I can't see it making a difference to whether you get an offer or not. In fact, the Head Boy at my school was rejected by Oxford this year, so there you go.

ReputationRep:
    i personally would go to the better school. if it will improve your grades, which is what mainly counts in admissions to uni, then therefore it will improve chances of getting into oxbridge. i think that the admissions tutors will be more impressed by your maturity in seeing that your current school is poor, and that you dont want it to affect your grades, rather than being a head boy, which may be more useful when applying to a job than applying to university.
    but think about it, if you were an employer, and you saw person x, with say a first from a mediochre uni, and was a head boy. or person y, with a 2.1, from oxbridge. who would you prefer to hire.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely go to the better school! Im sure admissions tutors would care much more about your level of education than being a head boy. Our head girl got rejected from oxford and our head boy isnt going anywhere notablely prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    my best mate is head boy and is getting straight As. but saying that, there is so much organising to do and time to give up that the only way he can do that is by not spending as much time with us lot. I think it's worth it as it's a great thing to put on your uni application, but the cons are like what's been said above; you're not really guaranteed a great place and do you really want another commitment in your final year to possibly prevent you from getting the best grades? id personally go for the better school rather than being head boy but that's my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to a couple of Oxbridge admissions events, and the overwhelming vibe I giot was "It's great that you've been in the Drama Club/Rugby Team/been Head Boy, but we really don't care." It's academic potential they're after, and a deep love for your subject, and that's pretty much that. Go to the better school, you'll enjoy your subject more, do better, and it'll show in your interview.

Don't let the Head Boy offer affect your decision. Everyone knows that being given a position like that at school isn't an indication of anything important, and more that you just get on with the headmaster.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that the Head Boy position was effectively a reward for sycophancy, nothing more.

But that might just have been my school.

ReputationRep:
    definitely go to the better school- ultimately your grades are what count.

ReputationRep:
    Um. In my school, the Head Girl and Deputy Head Boy applied for Oxford and Cambridge. They didn't get in. Myself and a friend who were not considered for the role, did.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, our head boy applied to the same course at cambridge as me, with an otherwise pretty similar application - he didn't get in, i did - go figure

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, the head boy from my school was the only male to get into (and apply to) Oxford in my year group, but being head boy in our school (crappy valley comp) just meant people liked you enough and you got to do stupid things like read short paragraphs written for you at the odd event and decide whether the people could gamble in the common room and what furniture we had in there...ie. no real indicator of greatness or requiring anything that astonishing; it was essentially a popularity contest. However the guy did go on to meet his AAA offer, and it was that achievment that won him his place, I doubt being head boy had any effect at all on his interview skills etc.

I'd say it's a good thing to have on a CV, and maybe even on a UCAS form, but you're still going to have to show you have the brains and potential as well, but it won't do you any harm unless it really would take so much of your studying time away. To be honnest, I really do think if you're capable of As you can get them at any school, A levels require more individual work, if you're clever and consciencious enough you can get them anywhere, just might not be so easy if the teaching is crap etc. Same with passion for a subject, it's either there or it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I would go to the better school too. Head Boy and Girl in my year both applied to Oxford and were rejected, i (deputy Head Girl) applied to Cambridge and was rejected also.

i went to admission talks with Oxbridge tutors and both sets (Oxford and Cam) stressed that all they were looking for was a brain on legs. The woman from Oxford laughed her head off at one candidate who was asking if it was worth doing Gold DofE. xx

ReputationRep:
    But things like Gold DoE won't harm your application, they just don't count for much to admissions people against accademic ability. They won't take you because you were head boy if you don't have the rest of what they're looking for, but I very much doubt it would count against you. Most of the people I know at uni are not only amazingly clever people, but also amazingly good at something else and usually involved in so much other stuff aside from their studies. In short, if you can do both, do!

ReputationRep:
    No it won't count against you, but they gave the distinct impression that it doesn't help you either, therefore surely in the poster's case, it would be better to go for the higher standard of education over the place of Head Boy? xx

ReputationRep:
    In my school (christ's hospital), practically all of the prefects, bar the head boy himself, who applied to Oxbridge, got in. As in, it depends on how much you'd have to do as head boy, and how much better the other school is. Like, our head boy has to go to so many dinners and/or make so many speeches (ie at least one of the two things a week) that he hasn't been able to concentrate on his work as much, and I'm sure he'd have got in if he hadn't had this burden. At the same time, I really wanted to be head boy, but in hindsight, I'm honestly glad I wasn't, since I don't reckon I'd have been able to do half of the things I've done this year if I'd has his extra respnsibility - I'd still had pretty much all of the ostensible glory(?) as a prefect as he had, without all the extra time-consuminng appointments! Don't forget, there's also the possibility of being head boy at your new school - we've had two senior grecians - one boy and one girl - who were both new at sixth form, in the last seven years!

All that's probably confused you even further... Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    No it won't count against you, but they gave the distinct impression that it doesn't help you either, therefore surely in the poster's case, it would be better to go for the higher standard of education over the place of Head Boy? xx
    Yes, if you think the higher education standard would really change things. I reckon at A-level, schooling won't make a huge difference if you're bright enough. Basically trying to say he could still get in regardless of the school he chooses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    Yes, if you think the higher education standard would really change things. I reckon at A-level, schooling won't make a huge difference if you're bright enough. Basically trying to say he could still get in regardless of the school he chooses
    It might make a difference, though. Someone from my school applied for Maths and so got a STEP based offer. My school didn't really do anything to help him prepare for the STEP at all whereas other schools would probably at least help him with some past papers or something, I imagine.

I'd go to the school that's better academically.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.