Turn on thread page Beta

AVCE/ vocational A-level Travel & Tourism? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone on the Student Room- was wondering if you guys could help me.

Anyone doing, or know anybody doing, AVCE Travel & Tourism- coz I am considering it as an AS subject to do at college. If anyone could give me any info or advice on this subject I'd be really grateful.

So far I've signed up to do Economics, Geography and French at AS which I hope to continue to A2, but here's my dilemma: i have to choose a 4th subject & i can't decide! I want to go into either marketing or travel as I've done work experience with a travel company and really enjoyed it and thought, this is the sort of career I want!

I think I'd really like to do travel & tourism coz it's related to what i want to do and i like the sound of the course content: carrying out my out projects, the marketing side, and the role of customer service. You get to do your own project on travel destinations, book a holioday for a group of people and travel with them as their rep- sounds fun & like there's a lot to be learnt about how the trave industry operates!

Alternatively I'm considering doing wither business studies or maths, which i probably would't get the highest grades in seeing as i didnt do BS for GCSE, and although im grade A/B standard at maths, I find more complicated algebra & further graphs hard to understand! But would it be better to do a more 'well known academic' subject?

I hope to go to university to do a degree in business/management/marketing/tourism management but whatever I do I definitely want to include french as i luv that subject- it was my favourite for GCSE & im looking forward to studying it at A-level.

Soz for such a long post, i spose the question im really asking is:
    is it better to do a subject you enjoy or one that is more tedious but more respected?
    Any comments on this from anyone would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks guys x

ReputationRep:
    I am doing AVCE Travel and Tourism next year.
    The reason I am doing it is because I know that if I choose subjects I am not comfortable in (maths and science) I will barely get a grade.
    Travel and Tourism is a lot of work, but as long as you stay on top of it, it is an easy grade to get.

So I say do what you are going to find the easiest because it is better to go to University with a good grade in a lesser respected subject than a bad grade in an established subject.
    After all a good grade is a good grade whatever subjects you choose, and you will find a good University.

Hope that helps.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.