Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Because everyone reduces their size in proportion, maintaining their respective interests. All three major parties, who have a great deal more to lose by a significant reduction in party size, have made a compromise and a good will gesture to the effective running of parliament and the enjoyment of all. We would hope that measures would not have to be taken forcifully.
    But surely by every party reducing numbers then the small parties will always remain small even if there is greater support for them. This makes no sense.

I would be willing to reduce current membership from 50 to 45 but no further as the proposals are flawed.

ReputationRep:
    A reduction to about 60% of your current size should be both feasible and ideal.
    Gosh, that will leave us with less than 60 members, but at least it is a fair and reasonable sollution.
    I'll get onto it now...

(Original post by !Laxy!)
    But surely by every party reducing numbers then the small parties will always remain small even if there is greater support for them. This makes no sense.

I would be willing to reduce current membership from 50 to 45 but no further as the proposals are flawed.
    if there were greater support for the small party they wouldnt be small!

ReputationRep:
    They should remain proportionally the same.

Im not going to enter a bargaining session over this. My recommendation is of a reduction to 60% of current member size. It will not be fixed throughout parliament and may be reviewed on request. Again however, so that we can establish a smooth start to parliamentary proceedings Im requesting that the Green party adopts the proposal in unison with their fellow MPs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    Gosh, that will leave us with less than 60 members, but at least it is a fair and reasonable sollution.
    I'll get onto it now...
    I think if we consider the total number of people able to contribute to a debate at the same time, this strikes a manageable and effective balance between 300+ people all having their say, and a opinion being restricted to handful of voting MPs.

ReputationRep:
    I think if we consider the total number of people able to contribute to a debate at the same time, this strikes a manageable and effective balance between 300+ people all having their say, and a opinion being restricted to handful of voting MPs.
    Ok sure, i expect Labour will be allowing around 55, and the lib dems around 110 members then? I would find this acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read this thread properly, but am I right in saying members of a political party have privileges to post in the house of commons (ie 55 in the case of labour) and the members part of the MP usergroup will only be voting MPs. or will the 55 be MPs and voting willl be public (with the non-voting MPs just told not to take part in polls)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    if there were greater support for the small party they wouldnt be small!
    But under current proposals it could never get any bigger!!!

ReputationRep:
    They should remain proportionally the same.

Im not going to enter a bargaining session over this. My recommendation is of a reduction to 60% of current member size. It will not be fixed throughout parliament and may be reviewed on request. Again however, so that we can establish a smooth start to parliamentary proceedings Im requesting that the Green party adopts the proposal in unison with their fellow MPs.
    Well I have stated my position. You obviously will not compromise so I will take the issue to higher authority.

ReputationRep:
    The Conservatives have been reduced to 61 members.

Miles, as far as i'm aware, the members of the Parties will be able to post in the commons, hence the reductions, but only the voting MPs, (11 Conservatives, 13 Labour etc.) will be able to vote.

Ahaaaaa, soz took so long to merge the threads, first time i've managed it!

ReputationRep:
    Well I have stated my position. You obviously will not compromise so I will take the issue to higher authority.
    You are the 4th party, i would find it unacceptable for you to take almost as many MPs to Parliament as the second party.

The Lib Dems have sacrificed 75 members, and the conservatives 40. I don't think asking for the Greens to make reductions of around 13 is asking much!

ReputationRep:
    god?

The Conservatives have been reduced to 61 members.

Miles, as far as i'm aware, the members of the Parties will be able to post in the commons, hence the reductions, but only the voting MPs, (11 Conservatives, 13 Labour etc.) will be able to vote.
    No, what i want to do is keep house of commons PURELY for voting MPs - thats all set up alreay, no point changing that.
    We will then make 'model parliment forum' accessible (postable i mean - all will be able to view) only to members of the political parties.

Do people see what im getting at..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    No, what i want to do is keep house of commons PURELY for voting MPs - thats all set up alreay, no point changing that.
    We will then make 'model parliment forum' accessible (postable i mean - all will be able to view) only to members of the political parties.

Do people see what im getting at..?
    I see, yes that makes it clear.

ReputationRep:
    But under current proposals it could never get any bigger!!!
    It will if you argue your case effectively and get more votes during the next election.

You are the 4th party, i would find it unacceptable for you to take almost as many MPs to Parliament as the second party.
    I believe the Greens are the 5th largest party.

who...? Im the mod for the forum, not sure pig either cares nor has the time to intervene in the arguments here. A even less.
    I will happily act as mediator for the party leaders (or Vienna can if you wish) if required.

ReputationRep:
    I will be happy once Labour have reduced their membership to 54, the Greens to 30, and MRLP to 31 (though the latter doesn't really concern me!)

I will be happy once Labour have reduced their membership to 54,
    Yet you have 60. And Labour came second. Have you more work to do, or is "proportionality" out of the window now?

I was under the impression that the election would at least have some sort of bearing on the number of MPs.

(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Yet you have 60. And Labour came second. Have you more work to do, or is "proportionality" out of the window now?

I was under the impression that the election would at least have some sort of bearing on the number of MPs.
    i was a tad curious about that too...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.