The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Example of a Successful Personal Statement for Economics at LSE?

I've seen them before, but does anyone have the link for examples of personal statements that were successful for entry to the LSE.
Cheers
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Personal Statements -> Personal Statement by University -> LSE Personal Statements -> Personal Statement:Mathematics 20

alternatively, click on the spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 3
my bet is that they knew hed go to oxbridge/lse anyway.
Reply 4
danny111
write your own damn personal statement like everyone else.

LOL, from the economics one in swayums link, "Since beginning A-level, I have enjoyed reading the Financial Times". what a loser, reads FT in year 12?!?!

however, how the hell did UCL reject him? my bet is that they knew hed go to oxbridge/lse anyway.

I think this is a statement from a few years back when the econ dept at LSE was "still letting in bankers" (shapiro's words). I mean come on the guy clearly has no proper economics in there just a load of waffle and sounds v. amateurish:

- "I have been able to discover how theories in economics shape society and fundamentally define how choices are being made"

- "This has given me an insight into the beginnings of a capitalist free market in the UK and how society has developed around this market"

I mean further look at what he has learned from a book he stated he read:

-"I especially enjoyed Legrain's 'Open World:/ The Truth About Globalisation'. This offered a powerful argument in favour of globalisation covering issues such as migration, trade, the environment and technology."

I could've written that by just looking at the book title. All in all quite atrocious and maybe UCL saw that too; but he must've had some cracking grades.
Reply 5
astudent
I think this is a statement from a few years back when the econ dept at LSE was "still letting in bankers" (shapiro's words). I mean come on the guy clearly has no proper economics in there just a load of waffle and sounds v. amateurish:

- "I have been able to discover how theories in economics shape society and fundamentally define how choices are being made"

- "This has given me an insight into the beginnings of a capitalist free market in the UK and how society has developed around this market"

I mean further look at what he has learned from a book he stated he read:

-"I especially enjoyed Legrain's 'Open World:/ The Truth About Globalisation'. This offered a powerful argument in favour of globalisation covering issues such as migration, trade, the environment and technology."

I could've written that by just looking at the book title. All in all quite atrocious and maybe UCL saw that too; but he must've had some cracking grades.

oh yes, his PS is poor. he just lists a lot of books and content without going into any detail. but judging from all his awards, he must have had super grades. thats why i made that comment.
Reply 6
The Personal statements in the TSR library are poor, dont be stupid enough to actually take them as a standard. The only the thing they're good for is giving you a general idea of some of the sorts of things you could rite about, beyond that, you're on your own. But to be honest, if you cant even shell out a page saying why you want to go there then you dont deserve to.

Protip: Focus on academic pursuits, especially beyond your current education, LSE supposedly love that.
Reply 7
guys don't bother too much with PS... it's all about your marks, I hardly believe that they read every PS.
Reply 8
motorhead
guys don't bother too much with PS... it's all about your marks, I hardly believe that they read every PS.

Wrong
Reply 9
I am currently studying in a Alberta High School system. I am not aware about GCSES and therefore I simply I input my grade 11 marks on the UCAS education section and my marks were: Math-70 Social-73 English-66 Work experiance system- 73 Client side scripting-78 Work experiance -95 French-92 Religious-100 Structured programming- 90 Bio-85 Chem-87 My predicted grades are: Math-85 Social-80 Business-93 Art-98 Islamic-100 I am applying for the pure economic history course at LSE where English is not a reuqirement. I got a message from them claiming that my application is kept for further consideration. Do I stand a chance?
Reply 10
Why do these people mention "Target 2.0"? I googled it, and found out that its some sort of competition for 16-18 year olds. How come 16-18 year olds are applying for Masters at LSE?
Original post by motorhead

Very Wrong, they do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending