Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!! Welcome to the TSR History Society. Surprisingly there wasnt one before so i decided to create one! PM me or post here if you want to be added to the coolest society, because after all, history is amazing! So post here to share your passion for this super subject and you can comment on anything historically related!

Founder
    : alexandra010588

Members:

*Bethany*
    White_redrose
    Felicity
    Madelyn
    Dizzykiki
    zaf1986
    xx_ambelina_xx
    vickytoria77
    ~Raven~
    billyboy
    che_guevara
    EvilTuna
    MolsakaG
    heninacoop

ReputationRep:
    Sounds interesting to me ! Unfortunately, there don't seem to be an awesome number of frequent visitors to this forum, but I bet there are some people who would join - white_redrose for a start

If you want to "found" it, all you have to do is basically declare you're starting a society - as you have - then start up a members' list by editing your original post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Sounds interesting to me ! Unfortunately, there don't seem to be an awesome number of frequent visitors to this forum, but I bet there are some people who would join - white_redrose for a start

If you want to "found" it, all you have to do is basically declare you're starting a society - as you have - then start up a members' list by editing your original post
    *waves at B* hehe, I certainly would

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to join.

ReputationRep:
    I'll join. Mind you, I'll join most things.

ReputationRep:
    Yay for History! I'll join! Woo!

ReputationRep:
    count me in too....

ReputationRep:
    Histreee!!!

Can we have a logo can we can we?

ReputationRep:
    count me in toooooooooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White_redrose)
    *waves at B* hehe, I certainly would
    hehe!! yay, now there are plenty of people for a soc!

Good idea for one - this forum is usually kind of empty which is annoying!

We should discuss our favourite periods of history and debate Also, someone should explain to me why it is harder to score highly in history than in English

Can anyone recommend any stunning history books? I've recently read "The Dictators" by Richard Overy, "The Third Reich: A New History" by Michael Burleigh, a really interesting book about Russia by O. Figes which I can't remember the name of, some books by E.H.Carr including "What is history?" which is depressing but brilliant, & some stuff on Vietnam and Napoleon. In fact, I've been reading more historical novels than literary recently

Which periods of history are people studying atm? I've been subjected to another Hitler module, the Bolsheviks (again!) and some coursework on the Civil War. Am now studying Vietnam and the Cold War and once again cursing this syllabus for being so similar to my GCSE one...

ReputationRep:
    ive just finished doing A-level history in which over the 2 years both AS and A2 i did the whole of 1485 -1603 in a rather large amount of knowledge plus fascist Italy - 1918 - 1939.

And im going to do history at uni.

edited to say - ive been reading a lot of historical novels too, in fact my history teacher made them compulsory reading!! The best one being The Other Bolyen Girl

ReputationRep:
    I can't actually believe there isn't already a TSR History Society!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone ought to read Eric Hobsbawm. Even I like him, and I'm a classicist. Geoffrey Elton's also rather cool (he has a knighthood!), as is John Guy. That reminds me, I still need to collect up all my books and take them back to school
    My AS was Henry VII and religious change in Europe, sort of post-Renaissance until about the French Wars of Religion (which were also coursework), A2 was 'mid-Tudor crisis' and Elizabeth, Spain from Ferdinand and Isabella until Philip III-ish, the revolts in the Netherlands, and Henri IV of France. How is all that only six modules???
    I preferred the English side of things and am not really very interested in particularly modern history - I had enough of the Nazis and so on at GCSE - except from a sort of socio-cultural/political perspective. I start getting bored after Elizabeth, but sort of wish I knew more about things like the development of parliament (MAR Graves wrote an interesting book on Elizabethan parliaments which I can highly recommend, incidentally).
    I simply don't get any of the financial/economic stuff - I can just about grasp that inflation is a Bad Thing and poor harvests aren't very helpful, but beyond that I just give up. I love historiography and am now getting a bit sad that all my history lessons are gone. This post really wasn't meant to be this long, I swear..
    Edit: just remembered another brilliant history (ish...) book that everyone has to read: 1066 And All That, by WC Sellar and RJ Yeatman.

ReputationRep:
    Yey History Society! Me me me!
    I studied the Tudors (hello, Madelyn/White_redrose lets talk about Tudors!), Spain 1469-1598 and the Netherlands revolts *shudder*.
    LOVE IT!

ReputationRep:
    Count me in! Gotta say i prefer political history myself, ie all the modern totalitarian stuff and the philosophies behind them, but i still enjoyed the other parts of my history course! a good book that i found was called 'what if?' by Robert Cowley which is basically a load of historians saying what they think would have happened if events turned out different (eg if Hitler on the war etc).

ReputationRep:
    I will JOIN!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i added whoever wanted to join! I didnt visit my post here for about a week because last time i checked nobody replied. Now i was surprised that there were people replying..which is great! So if you want to be added, just PM me or post it!!

ReputationRep:
    Geoffrey Elton's also rather cool (he has a knighthood!),
    Your good friend J E Neale was also knighted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    Everyone ought to read Eric Hobsbawm. Even I like him, and I'm a classicist. Geoffrey Elton's also rather cool (he has a knighthood!), as is John Guy. That reminds me, I still need to collect up all my books and take them back to school
    My AS was Henry VII and religious change in Europe, sort of post-Renaissance until about the French Wars of Religion (which were also coursework), A2 was 'mid-Tudor crisis' and Elizabeth, Spain from Ferdinand and Isabella until Philip III-ish, the revolts in the Netherlands, and Henri IV of France. How is all that only six modules???
    I preferred the English side of things and am not really very interested in particularly modern history - I had enough of the Nazis and so on at GCSE - except from a sort of socio-cultural/political perspective. I start getting bored after Elizabeth, but sort of wish I knew more about things like the development of parliament (MAR Graves wrote an interesting book on Elizabethan parliaments which I can highly recommend, incidentally).
    I simply don't get any of the financial/economic stuff - I can just about grasp that inflation is a Bad Thing and poor harvests aren't very helpful, but beyond that I just give up. I love historiography and am now getting a bit sad that all my history lessons are gone. This post really wasn't meant to be this long, I swear..
    Edit: just remembered another brilliant history (ish...) book that everyone has to read: 1066 And All That, by WC Sellar and RJ Yeatman.
    I love 1066 and all that !

The part of history I really love is reading books on the more interesting topics by amazing academics Ditto with the not understanding economics-related issues Oh well. & I think they need to seriously revise the syllabus things so that it's no longer possible to force us to study Hitler for 6+ years in a row :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billyboy)
    Count me in! Gotta say i prefer political history myself, ie all the modern totalitarian stuff and the philosophies behind them, but i still enjoyed the other parts of my history course! a good book that i found was called 'what if?' by Robert Cowley which is basically a load of historians saying what they think would have happened if events turned out different (eg if Hitler on the war etc).
    That sounds interesting, will get my hands on a copy. Links in with an essay I read the other day calle "Causation" too

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 8, 2005

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.