Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    But that's what I'm saying....don't get too stressed/depressed about it - it may feel like she'll die without him, but that's just because she's not used to being without him!! Just realise that once he's gone it won't actually be all that bad, and really try not to think about it because if she has a problem with 10 days....as she says...she doesn't know how she'll cope when they go to uni :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! But she'll realise that on her own, she doesn't need people making her problems seem stupid. All she asked was how to cope with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Exactly! But she'll realise that on her own, she doesn't need people making her problems seem stupid. All she asked was how to cope with it.
    I disagree....people telling her that 10 days is nothing DOES help - she came on here thinking "OH MY GOD TEN WHOLE DAYS!!", but now people have told her they've went without their boyfriend/girlfriend for weeks or months at a time and they've coped. Now she *should* feel better, thinking that if others who have experienced similar or worse are saying it's not THAT bad then just these 10 days shouldn't be too bad either.

She feels like crap now, but she doesn't need to know how to cope with it, she needs to realise that it's not the end of the world and what she's feeling is not that she's going to miss her boyfriend, she's actually just afraid of a different lifestyle - 10 days without the person she's probably seen every day for however long they've been together. Just like a child feels the first time he or she goes away from home for any amount of time on a school trip or something like that.

May feel bad now, but when it comes to it she'll realise it's not bad at all.

ReputationRep:
    10 days - id kill to be sepearated from my boyf for 10 days. Instead the situation is thus.... He went to London 5 days ago. Tuesday Morning I fly to Crete for two weeks. I get back to uk have a grand total of 1 day in the country in which I get to see my gorgeous guy for 3 hours very maximum. I then fly to Australia for 4 week.

Thats - count it - 7 weeks. That is when it begins to hurt like hell, espiacially when he had tonsilitis before he left for London so I couldn't even kiss him goodbye properly! How on earth people can do it for 4 months or 6 months is beyond me.

God I miss him - wanna swap? LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Dobbs: That's fair enough, but I think there are ways of doing it without telling her that her problem is 'nothing'. It just seems such a harsh phrase. I think I said something about my experiences which are arguably worse in my original post, but did so without disregarding her problem as stupid.

People don't always think logically in such situations either. I think that if I was really upset that my boyfriend was going away and then told by various people that it was a silly problem because they've had worse, I'd still be sad about him going away and I'd feel guilty for being sad too.

But everyone is different I suppose

ReputationRep:
    In case my post came across wrong (I just re-read it and I did sound kinda harsh) I wasn't trying to make it seem like nothing, honestly! Im just on a downer - ignore me. LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Just think think how it will be when you see him again and just keep yourself occupied the time will fly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilderberry)
    10 days - id kill to be sepearated from my boyf for 10 days. Instead the situation is thus.... He went to London 5 days ago. Tuesday Morning I fly to Crete for two weeks. I get back to uk have a grand total of 1 day in the country in which I get to see my gorgeous guy for 3 hours very maximum. I then fly to Australia for 4 week.

Thats - count it - 7 weeks. That is when it begins to hurt like hell, espiacially when he had tonsilitis before he left for London so I couldn't even kiss him goodbye properly! How on earth people can do it for 4 months or 6 months is beyond me.

God I miss him - wanna swap? LOL.
    I'LL SWAP!!!! Seriously...you're going to Crete for 2 weeks then off to Australia for 4 weeks....yeah you won't see him but actually think about what you're doing this summer - you'll have the time of your life even if you don't get to see your boyfriend!! Plus it'll make it even better when you actually get back and see him

ReputationRep:
    Two summers ago I was separated from my boyfriend for two weeks, then we had two days together and another two days apart. Yes, I missed him. But I figured that if we couldn't cope with that, we'd never be able to cope when he went away to uni. So I concentrated on having a great time whilst we were apart and we kept in touch through text messages. Then when he was at uni and we could call each other and talk on msn too, it was a little bit easier, even though the situation was permanent.

You just have to be strong! Sorry if I came across as a bit harsh, but you are LUCKY to have someone you love so much, who loves you back. Count your blessings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    you are LUCKY to have someone you love so much, who loves you back. Count your blessings.
    Agreed......

ReputationRep:
    I hate it if I'm away from my boyfriend from more than a few days. It's difficult when you have been so close. Remember, it's only a short time in the grand scheme of things and after 5 days it'll be halfway and he'll nearly be home.

Talk to him on the phone if you can, or email him so you can keep in touch.

Try and keep busy doing things you like doing and if you are sad, cry and let it out. Theres nothing wrong with being upset because you are missing a loved one.

ReputationRep:
    Well hes gone today. I've been keeping myself occupied. I cried when he went but now i have all this time to fill i better do something useful, like carry on with that novel i've been working on for 1.5 yrs!

I still miss him though...

ReputationRep:
    Im sure the 10 days will go by quickly, i know youll sad know but talk to some of your friends and you will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    i hate being away from my bloke too, jsut have to get up and keep going with it. Watch films to take the time away or go to the gym or something! its all you can do! And Wales does get signals in some of the valleys. promise, we're further evolved than you might think, though we are still trying to make the square wheel work....

ReputationRep:
    Yep they'll cheer me up

Thanks for the advice guys!

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I think thats a great idea! I need to sit down with mine now my exams are done, maybe i will now actually....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amlea)
    Well hes gone today. I've been keeping myself occupied. I cried when he went but now i have all this time to fill i better do something useful, like carry on with that novel i've been working on for 1.5 yrs!

I still miss him though...
    Good idea - keep your time filled with other things that you enjoy, and though you'll still miss him, it's better to have something else to concentrate on as well as moping around for him.

ReputationRep:
    I find i write better when im upset, but then im writing a fanasty novel about fighting evil so i would...

ReputationRep:
    i haven't seen my boyfriend for 6 months, he doesn't live over here but when i see him next month it is going to be amazing. i think time apart in a relationship is healthy, it makes you put things in prospective and you appreciate them a lot more when they come home! 10 days will fly by and make sure you do all the things that you have been meaning to do, i.e. catching up with old friends. You need to practice being apart if your going to uni, it will be good for you!

ReputationRep:
    i havent seen my guy since April 24th, so i feel your pain

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.