Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingsComp)
    I think what "JustAGuy" is trying to say is, that the examining criteria at all of the University of London colleges are the same, as they are all marked by external examiners. However the point he is missing (I think) is that the actual course content of the degrees are in fact different between the universities. The economics course at LSE is more mathematically inclined and is regarded more difficult than the course in Queen Mary's, but yes the marking standards are the same at both institutions.
    Ah finally... at last ...someone with some comments that make sense But I disagree that I was "arguing". Just merely trying to put my points across, that is all I don't care if the others disagreed with me, honestly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaGuy)
    Ah finally... at last ...someone with some comments that make sense But I disagree that I was "arguing". Just merely trying to put my points across, that is all I don't care if the others disagreed with me, honestly
    You called me dumb. I was not arguing i was mearly discussing/

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what you are on about justaguy, kingscomp comments is what i agree with. He stated that lse degree is harder [this is where you called me dumb lol]. He said that lse degree is better considering all confounding variables are the same [this is where you called me dumb again.

It may look like an arguementive thread, but i ensure everyone that i don't mean to offend anyone it's just that if a prospective student with AAA at a levels decides to go to a university then justaguy's skewed comments is not helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingsComp)
    The economics course at LSE is more mathematically inclined and is regarded more difficult
    Oh just one more thing More mathemtically inclined is not necessary 'harder'. To someone who barely just scrap through Maths at A levels, it is certainly a difficult course. So we need to look at the Maths requirements for both courses.

I *think* (I may be wrong since I didn't check this on the websites) that LSE asks for A grade in Maths and QM asks for B grade in Maths. Even if 'harder' mathematically, the LSE course can't be very much 'harder'.

ReputationRep:
    Oh just one more thing More mathemtically inclined is not necessary 'harder'. To someone who barely just scrap through Maths at A levels, it is certainly a difficult course. So we need to look at the Maths requirements for both courses.

I *think* (I may be wrong since I didn't check this on the websites) that LSE asks for A grade in Maths and QM asks for B grade in Maths. Even if 'harder' mathematically, the LSE course can't be very much 'harder'.
    lol.. how do you know, you haven't done any of the courses. I know people who have done/doing courses at both the said universities

ReputationRep:
    It only means that Goldman Sachs is looking for people with very good A level grades *as well as* a good 2:1 or 1st degree.
    lmao, you thing GS look more at your a-level grades than your degree? BS! what world are you living in!? dont tell me you still think GCSE's mean something as well!! lol. and whats with the *stupid stars*. I suggest you listen to your elders who are much wiser than yourself!

If you get a 2:1 from any of the London Colleges, you are as good as a 2:1 from LSE. If an employer choose a LSE 2:1 grad over another 2:1 London grad, it is more likely that the other grad did not have as good A level grades, or did not perform as well in the interview. That is all to it. Don't kid yourself, LSE people. Open your eyes wide and sniff... Reality
    this little post of yours really did cement your position as someone who clearly does not know what they are talking about! wait until your in your final year, applying to this prgrams yourself then see what your opinion is on the topic! sorry but do you really think that graduate recruitment personel give a damm about your a-level grades!? Speaking as someone who is in the process of applying to many programs I can assure that not one application form asks for your a-level grades!! they are much rather interested in your degree percentage and the specific content of that degree.... your crazy if you think that they dont care what degree you have from which uni, as long as you have good a levels!!! A levels get you into uni, once you are their everyone is on a level playing field, 5 A's at a-level dont mean anything if you dont do well in your degree!

Given a choice between a 2:1 from LSE or UCL, i'd go for LSE everytime, and given the choice between a 1st at UCL and a 2:1 from LSE i'd still go for LSE! It's fact that LSE is a world renowned university which commands much respect in the eyes of scholars and executives around the world. When i studied in Malaysia my lecturers wouldnt shut up about LSE!!

...besides the 2 courses are completly different, a 2:1 from LSE is better because the course is much harder due the amazing amount of maths involved!!!

Regards,
    Tom

Current count of dumb people on this thread: 1 and thats you!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    LOL :rolleyes:

Current count of whiners: 1

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, they are both UoL degrees. Whoever thinks that a 2:1 from LSE is "better" than a 2:1 from UCL or KCL or QM etc is just being a dimwit. Fact: a 2:1 from any of the London Colleges is viewed the same by employers.

Similar argument goes for employment prospects.

Student life is what you make of your experience at University. You will be in London, for god's sake! There is so much to do and so much to take advantage of. You don't have to confine your "student life" to within the walls of your college. Go out and grab some fun if you aren't getting any in your College.

Good luck with your choice!

To put LSE and QM in the same league is to be delusional. If you think Goldman Sachs etc think they are the same you know nothing about the city. LSE is 11th best in the world, according to the Times. QM dosen't come close to that. If there just the same why don't they do away with their names such as LSE and QM? The answer is because they are not the same. Just like certain colleges in the US are called ivy league does not mean Harvard is the same a Brown.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is very common to find top employers asking for at least 24 UCAS points at the A levels, as well as at least a 2:1. If you don't meet this academic requirement, it is very unlikely that you will get an interview, though not impossible.
    There are som people who go the administrative assistant route to the big investment banks, insurance and accountancy firms and other buig city firms.

They normally offer dynamic alternatives. It is not impossible without a degree.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.