The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mmm depends on the individual... what do you mean by important?

Important for getting a job at the end of the 5 years? No
Important for being a better doctor? No
Important for self esteem and own achievement? Yes
billykwok
Mmm depends on the individual... what do you mean by important?

Important for getting a job at the end of the 5 years? No
Important for being a better doctor? No

You must have pretty low self esteem for it to be effected by where you're studying, especialy when you're studying for medicine.

(Not aimed @ you)
RollerBall
You must have pretty low self esteem for it to be effected by where you're studying, especialy when you're studying for medicine.

(Not aimed @ you)

Mmm i dunno... i guess it depends on the individual; like i got 5A's, in an okay university now doing medicine, and i think my course here is fantastic and i am having fun here. However; if i was given the choice between cambridge or trinity college dublin, i would always choose cambridge. I guess its just a self achievement thing.
Reply 23
billykwok
I guess its just a self achievement thing.

Or an insecurity thing.
billykwok
Mmm i dunno... i guess it depends on the individual; like i got 5A's, in an okay university now doing medicine, and i think my course here is fantastic and i am having fun here. However; if i was given the choice between cambridge or trinity college dublin, i would always choose cambridge. I guess its just a self achievement thing.

Even if you despised the course? I would put it more in insecurities than "self acheivment" frankly.
Alex D
Or an insecurity thing.

RollerBall
Even if you despised the course? I would put it more in insecurities than "self acheivment" frankly.

mmm no... i am pretty secure with myself, but i am not at the delusion that my university is the best in the world, and i would always strive for better. This includes everything in life, my grades, my relationships, my hoobies, etc.; so no reason why i shouldn't strive for a university with a better academic and international reputation.

And of course not if i despise the course, but to be fair i wouldn't despise the course; because it is medicine, and most of university level teaching is self taught anyway, as you'll find out if you do get into medicine.
Reply 26
billykwok
mmm no... i am pretty secure with myself, but i am not at the delusion that my university is the best in the world, and i would always strive for better. This includes everything in life, my grades, my relationships, my hoobies, etc.; so no reason why i shouldn't strive for a university with a better academic and international reputation.

And of course not if i despise the course, but to be fair i wouldn't despise the course; because it is medicine, and most of university level teaching is self taught anyway, as you'll find out if you do get into medicine.

Because, to me anyway, wanting to go to a university with a better reputation than the one you're at suggests insecurity. At the end of the day, I'm sure not every Oxbridge student walks around like they've been blessed with the academic equivalent of possessing a 12 inch penis.
Alex D
Because, to me anyway, wanting to go to a university with a better reputation than the one you're at suggests insecurity. At the end of the day, I'm sure not every Oxbridge student walks around like they've been blessed with the academic equivalent of possessing a 12 inch penis.

:biggrin:
Alex D

No, you are right. But we ALWAYS (well I anyway) would strive for better, in anything.

Why is it just wanting to go to a university with a better reputation that suggest insecurities?
So say if you are already in a great relationship with your partner, but you want the relationship to be even better, does this suggest that you are insecure about your relationship? Or list an example like my grades, i never think they are good enough, and there is always room for improvement. does this suggest i am insecure about my grades? No i can proudly tell people what my grades are, but i am always critical to myself; and always looking for room to improve.
It's important to a certain extent. If you go to Oxbridge or any red brick/top 20 uni's then you will more than likely have better job prospects. But if someone that went to Edinburgh, for instance, and got a 2.2 was against someone that went to Edinburgh Napier and got a first, the first would be more important.

It's all relative, as long as you do well and enjoy your time at uni, who cares what uni you went to. Don't listen to idiots that say if you don't go to a top 20 uni there's no point in going.
CrookedLegs
It's important to a certain extent. If you go to Oxbridge or any red brick/top 20 uni's then you will more than likely have better job prospects. But if someone that went to Edinburgh, for instance, and got a 2.2 was against someone that went to Edinburgh Napier and got a first, the first would be more important.

It's all relative, as long as you do well and enjoy your time at uni, who cares what uni you went to. Don't listen to idiots that say if you don't go to a top 20 uni there's no point in going.

Ive always wanted to know, if Medical degrees are all the same so we get firsts and seconds?
billykwok

I think you missed the point. I'm not sure what the course structure is of trinity, but if somebody loved the course style of Manchester, I'd bet they would HATE Oxbridge.
Chunkeymonkey62
Ive always wanted to know, if Medical degrees are all the same so we get firsts and seconds?

It's just one standard degree. No firsts/seconds etc.
Reply 33
RollerBall
It's just one standard degree. No firsts/seconds etc.

Does the Bsc have any firsts/seconds thing?
Reply 34
CrookedLegs

That may be true for other subjects, but for medicine the first jobs you apply for after graduating are blinded to which medical school you come from. Also, you don't get 1st/2:1s etc for medicine so that doesn't matter.
Alex D
At the end of the day, I'm sure not every Oxbridge student walks around like they've been blessed with the academic equivalent of possessing a 12 inch penis.

Of course we do. Sub fusc functions as a very handy penis extension, thank you very much. :beard:
Reply 36
Phalanges
Of course we do. Sub fusc functions as a very handy penis extension, thank you very much. :beard:

Only once you've got a scholar's gown. :p:
Reply 37
billykwok

also important for 'elping you drop out of uni if you go to ucl, imperial, kingz (considerably greater cost of studying that outstrips the extra loans).

dropping out? important for destruction of self esteem? certainly. :biggrin:

and therein lies the problem. dropping out of a course you cant afford is probably the best fing for you, yet self esteem says otherwise and tricks you into being a failure.
trouble with self esteem is, it can be manipulated by others, rather than being based on what you as an individual wants. its far safer to make a lifestyle choice when you choose your university, because then you are living your life on a day to day basis, rather than being soewhere that sounded real good when you are an impressionable 17 year old, but isd worth sweet FA now you are grown up. and appines everyday is more important than feeling appy for a few misty school dys around the time you fill in your UCAS form followed by 6 years of living in poverty for no gain, only loss, over a medic out in newcastle.
Reply 38
Chunkeymonkey62

allo chunks

at each medical school there is usually a portion of the exams over the five ears that contribute to your ranking (in turn which contributes towards job applications) , which is the equivalant to your degree grade in a way.

its one reason for picking a particular course.

fat my school, its based mostly on final year exams, with bit from year3/4.
its worth working out which exams these are for yu so ta you know where to concentrate your efforts.
Gizmo!
tis the name of a 80s pop diva, macca.

(and also 'itler's pet dog)

would have to correct you there... blondie was an 80s band. pretty good one too.

as for being called after hitlers pet dog, well, i just feel frankly unlucky.

back to the thread, i dont think its a case of insecurity, just people genuinely liking all the posh oxbridge atmosphere and very academic course and being able to tell people they are oxford students etc. personally i would prefer to go somewhere a little less pretentious.

Latest

Trending

Trending