Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Stupidly I posted this in the wrong forum the other day....don't wanna ramble like I did then so I'll try to keep it as short as poss.
    I'm worried about my English Lang & Lit (exam board AQA) as I wrote too much for the stories section in Lit, and had to rush the section which was worth more marks.
    In Language I wrote too much for the few mark questions and tried as best I could with the bigger mark questions, and with the writing. I know I did well in the 1st section of the 2nd paper but I'm not sure about the writing section.
    I have coursework which is B/A...do you think I can still get a B overall? I'd be okay with a C, but I'd be annoyed as its not my best. Thinking about doing a re-take if I got a C.

I've always struggled with science and set out to prove my teachers wrong and get B, they said I'd get a C. I think the Biology went not too bad, Chemistry was easy, but I completely messed up Physics as I'm awful at it and we have a rubbish teacher. I was so annoyed cos I spent ages revising for it but it was all stuff we never got taught properly.
    My coursework is B/A. Do you think I can still get a B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Stupidly I posted this in the wrong forum the other day....don't wanna ramble like I did then so I'll try to keep it as short as poss.
    I'm worried about my English Lang & Lit (exam board AQA) as I wrote too much for the stories section in Lit, and had to rush the section which was worth more marks.
    In Language I wrote too much for the few mark questions and tried as best I could with the bigger mark questions, and with the writing. I know I did well in the 1st section of the 2nd paper but I'm not sure about the writing section.
    I have coursework which is B/A...do you think I can still get a B overall? I'd be okay with a C, but I'd be annoyed as its not my best. Thinking about doing a re-take if I got a C.

I've always struggled with science and set out to prove my teachers wrong and get B, they said I'd get a C. I think the Biology went not too bad, Chemistry was easy, but I completely messed up Physics as I'm awful at it and we have a rubbish teacher. I was so annoyed cos I spent ages revising for it but it was all stuff we never got taught properly.
    My coursework is B/A. Do you think I can still get a B?

I'm in a similar position... I feel I have done myself no favours with my English papers, which is annoying as I'm capable of an A* in English, but I feel I will get less. As for Science, I found Biology the toughest; I agree about Chemistry being easy, although Physics wasn't too bad. I reckon you should stop worrying about it until exam results day - your coursework marks seem to be of decent calibre so hopefully they should pull you through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    I'm in a similar position... I feel I have done myself no favours with my English papers, which is annoying as I'm capable of an A* in English, but I feel I will get less. As for Science, I found Biology the toughest; I agree about Chemistry being easy, although Physics wasn't too bad. I reckon you should stop worrying about it until exam results day - your coursework marks seem to be of decent calibre so hopefully they should pull you through.
    I think its more annoying in English...because people do re-takes, it makes me feel like I should do a re-take, whereas I don't think you can with Science.
    Biology was quite tough...hoping I pulled through, and like you said that my coursework could help.
    I hate waiting so long, I think that makes it worse!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the quality of the part you wrote least in. I was in same position, hopeless at timing in exams even if we're advised in the paper and by a teacher at start of exam :mad: you should be able to get a B, if exam is good obviously.

ReputationRep:
    I think its more annoying in English...because people do re-takes, it makes me feel like I should do a re-take, whereas I don't think you can with Science.
    Biology was quite tough...hoping I pulled through, and like you said that my coursework could help.
    I hate waiting so long, I think that makes it worse!
    People generally achieve better than they expect. It's normal to feel like this and many people get paranoid when thinking about their performance in exams... You shouldn't really resit unless you fail to achieve C grades, which I highly doubt you will.

ReputationRep:
    People generally achieve better than they expect. It's normal to feel like this and many people get paranoid when thinking about their performance in exams... You shouldn't really resit unless you fail to achieve C grades, which I highly doubt you will.
    Thanks...I guess it is stupid really to re-sit it and put myself through it all again.
    My teacher laughed at me when I said about it, he's threatened to eat his mark book if I get anything below a B.

ReputationRep:
    lol english, i was predicted a D, got C/Ds for coursework, a D in the mock, and gave up in the exam resorting to writing the first cr*p i thought of and was convinced id failed it miserably. My result? i got a solid A. My advice? Dont worry bout english language

ReputationRep:
    People generally achieve better than they expect.
    Hope that's true *sighs*

English was bad. I misread the question in the literature. Ahhhhhhhh :mad:

And biology (double) was rubbish beyond rubbish. More rubbish than complete, utter rubbish - actually that applies to quite a few of my exams...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickNack)
    lol english, i was predicted a D, got C/Ds for coursework, a D in the mock, and gave up in the exam resorting to writing the first cr*p i thought of and was convinced id failed it miserably. My result? i got a solid A. My advice? Dont worry bout english language
    Wow! Thanks for the comfort! Perhaps there's still hope...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickNack)
    Well done!!!
    I hope it could work for me.

I was so annoyed with the Lit...knew exactly what I was doing but I couldn't see the clock. Asked the inviligilator if I should start the poetry question and she said "No its okay you can finish the first one" so I did. Then she said "You have 15 minutes" to me just as I was starting the poetry section which was worth more marks. GAH!!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Im sure you will do fine in your exams, i know its hard but just try and stop worrying about thme until results day, after all there is nothing else you can do, they are done and you can't turn back the clock. Until results day forget about results adn exams, enjoy yourself, go out with your mates and have fun. :party: Im sure you will do great and get the results you deserve!

ReputationRep:
    I'm disappointed to see this thread as I was planning, at least in theory to forget about my exams until results day because there is nothing I can do to make it any better or worse. However, seen as you mention it, in English Literature I did the ''Of Mice and Men'' question and didn't have enough time to do ANY poetry. I'm really worried about this because when I did the practice questions at home, I continued to write until it was finished because I was using them as more of a knowledge and understanding type activity than a timing exercise. I decided to do the novel first because in the mock exam I did the poetry question [worth most marks] and ran out of time, so decided to change technique. This means I'm only going to get max of 27/66 (highly unlikely I'll get full marks in Sec A; hardly anyone does]. My teacher says my coursework is an 'A', but I need a least a C grade to do AS English and English Literature next year.

On paper 1, despite doing practice questions, I did not geton to the writing and only answered about 13 marks worth of questions on the reading due to poor time management. Again coursework is an 'A' , but again was hoping for an 'A' or at least a B overall. On Language paper 2, I only managed to get the Poetry from different cultures and traditions question finished, so I'm extemely worried and disappointed because it won't reflect the high standard of teaching receieved by my English teacher.

I've spoken to Head of 6th Form and they have said not to worry about grades, but I think it will have many implications when applying to University or seeking employment as English is a very important subject. In addition, theyhave lots of people wanting to do English at my school, so whether they'll accept me on the course in another matter of concern - hopefully my English teacher will put in a good word. I love English and books, so if it was down to enthusiasism, I'd get an 'A'!

Good Luck with results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shauncouldstone)
    I'm disappointed to see this thread as I was planning, at least in theory to forget about my exams until results day because there is nothing I can do to make it any better or worse. However, seen as you mention it, in English Literature I did the ''Of Mice and Men'' question and didn't have enough time to do ANY poetry. I'm really worried about this because when I did the practice questions at home, I continued to write until it was finished because I was using them as more of a knowledge and understanding type activity than a timing exercise. I decided to do the novel first because in the mock exam I did the poetry question [worth most marks] and ran out of time, so decided to change technique. This means I'm only going to get max of 27/66 (highly unlikely I'll get full marks in Sec A; hardly anyone does]. My teacher says my coursework is an 'A', but I need a least a C grade to do AS English and English Literature next year.

On paper 1, despite doing practice questions, I did not geton to the writing and only answered about 13 marks worth of questions on the reading due to poor time management. Again coursework is an 'A' , but again was hoping for an 'A' or at least a B overall. On Language paper 2, I only managed to get the Poetry from different cultures and traditions question finished, so I'm extemely worried and disappointed because it won't reflect the high standard of teaching receieved by my English teacher.

I've spoken to Head of 6th Form and they have said not to worry about grades, but I think it will have many implications when applying to University or seeking employment as English is a very important subject. In addition, theyhave lots of people wanting to do English at my school, so whether they'll accept me on the course in another matter of concern - hopefully my English teacher will put in a good word. I love English and books, so if it was down to enthusiasism, I'd get an 'A'!

Good Luck with results.
    *hands you a cold beer* you know what to do! forget about them totally!

ReputationRep:
    I gotta admit though, that's really bad not answering the poetry part of the lit exam and only doing the other cultures poems on lang paper 2... It'll be a long shot for you to get that B you're hoping for, even if you did answer the questions really well... Just good luck is all I can say, to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I gotta admit though, that's really bad not answering the poetry part of the lit exam and only doing the other cultures poems on lang paper 2... It'll be a long shot for you to get that B you're hoping for, even if you did answer the questions really well... Just good luck is all I can say, to everyone!
    Well as Shamen said, good luck to all even though im sure you wont need it and also dont dwell on the exams, whats done is done.

ReputationRep:

Good Luck with results.

Even with your coursework if you left all those questions out, it's unlikely you'll even get a C. Sorry, gl anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I know. My target grade is a B, but my teacher was confident I would get an 'A' I'm not exactly thirlled at the prospexct of resitting next year, but nearly everyone nedds at least a 'C' in English. I did AQA Higher tier, so there is only so much leway before you drop off the scale. What I didn't realise until after the exams is that even if the things I have written are 'A' grade standard then I won't get an A because of all the unanswered questions. Should I look at the report online for last year or just leave it? I expect the grade boundaries will be nearly identical this year. I think I can resit English Lan in November if neccessary, but hopefully I'll get a 'C'.I won't add reference to my timing in other exams because it willbe going off topic.

ReputationRep:
    Gl for the C. If you don't get the C grade and you achieve worse, you're screwed (pardon my Francais). Unis don't accept resits unless there is a very good reason.

ReputationRep:
    Do they not? I always thought they did and it would be interesting to know how they actuallyknew that you had resat (unless ther year of the exam is printed on the certificate). My RE teacher (I know this is an English thread) recommended resitting once I had my timing issues resolved. Do you have personal experience of them not accepting resists? I don't, so I'm not an expert and stand to be corrected on their actual procedure.

ReputationRep:
    I'm disappointed to see this thread as I was planning, at least in theory to forget about my exams until results day because there is nothing I can do to make it any better or worse.

Good Luck with results.
    I'm sorry!

I hope you did okay, I have my fingers crossed for you

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.