Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    because international courts should only be used when national ones are inappropriate. it remains to be seen, but if possible Saddam should be tried in Baghdad.
    now that is more like it. America supposedly wishes for Iraq to become a self dependent country once again, why can't they just let Iraq run their own trial of SH? (besides the obvious fact that George Dubya has a hard on for Saddam)

ReputationRep:
    He should be tried... in Iraq. After all, it is the Iraqi's who have suffered the most. In Iraq, he'd get what he deserved. Does anyone agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouKnewThat!)
    He should be tried... in Iraq. After all, it is the Iraqi's who have suffered the most. In Iraq, he'd get what he deserved. Does anyone agree?
    It doesn't matter where he is tried, as long as the court is impartial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    It doesn't matter where he is tried, as long as the court is impartial.
    True, but what are the chances of that ever happening?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    True, but what are the chances of that ever happening?
    Practically non-existant - just look at the Eichmann trial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    now that is more like it. America supposedly wishes for Iraq to become a self dependent country once again, why can't they just let Iraq run their own trial of SH? (besides the obvious fact that George Dubya has a hard on for Saddam)
    they can and will.

ReputationRep:
    they can and will.
    vienna95, naivity isn't one of your more common traits. I would bet an incredible amount of money on the fact that there will be some involvement/supervision from the US in the trial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    vienna95, naivity isn't one of your more common traits. I would bet an incredible amount of money on the fact that there will be some involvement/supervision from the US in the trial.
    Of course there will be. I predict that America will let the Iraqis try Saddam, but intervene if they don't choose the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    Of course there will be. I predict that America will let the Iraqis try Saddam, but intervene if they don't choose the death penalty.
    My point precisely. They won't let it happen of its own accord, unless it is what they want anyway. Thus it is hardly up to the courts of Iraq. Merely towing the line is not in any way, shape or form, a sign of independence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Americas involvement will come in the setting up of the judicial system. I dont think it will require any subsequent pressure from the US for the Iraqis to hand out a sentence of capital punishment.

ReputationRep:
    Americas involvement will come in the setting up of the judicial system. I dont think it will require any subsequent pressure from the US for the Iraqis to hand out a sentence of capital punishment.
    Nor do I think any will be needed.

ReputationRep:
    However, if the jury reaches a decision that he will not be executed, then I am fairly certain that America will intervene and do it themselves.

Democracy in action.

ReputationRep:
    However, if the jury reaches a decision that he will not be executed, then I am fairly certain that America will intervene and do it themselves.

Democracy in action.
    if that is the case then it would be a political error.

ReputationRep:

America wants complete control! They can disguise that how they like.

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    America's control extends to that which is in the favour of the world as a whole. Without them, Saddam Hussein would still be in power and a threat to global stability.

ReputationRep:
    if that is the case then it would be a political error.
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by vienna95
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

agreed on both points, however political errors aren't exactly new territory for George W. Bush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    agreed on both points, however political errors aren't exactly new territory for George W. Bush.
    Like referring to the Iraq war as a 'crusade'?

Whoops.

ReputationRep:
    Like referring to the Iraq war as a 'crusade'?

Whoops.
    *nods* I did say that didn't I? Still stand by it however While we have you here Mr White. Erm just why have you left The Way exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    While we have you here Mr White. Erm just why have you left The Way exactly?
    No reason.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.