Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    No reason.
    As you wish

ReputationRep:
    Cynical bunch you lot!

Sire, do you believe that the war in Iraq was a just war?

I do not accept that handing judicial responsibility to Iraq is responsible on the part of the coalition. Firstly, the chances of getting anyway near a fair trial are close to nil. Though no where gives a fair trial, I believe it is fair to say that Iraq would be one of the least impartial venues for an Iraqi dictator who murdered millions.

Secondly, if the coalition really is trying to 'make a better, fairer, more democratic world' something I am particularly dubious about, then surely it is sensible to allow a trail to take place in an instituiton where the priciples of human rights and democracy are the very tenets of their existence.This would be consistent and would rebut critics who claim America is a unilaterlist super power acting in its own parochial, corporate interests.

For America to just allow Saddam to be tried in Iraq, and then underhandedly influence the decision, say in favour of the death sentence, would be deeply cynical.

Fairness and democracy cannot be injected into a justice system that less than a year ago was an instrument of a brutal oppressive dictatorship. There is no quick fix, if the West decides to go about invading sovereign states on humanitarian grounds then we must bear the weight of making this a proper transformation - in my opinion this can only be done in the context of the international community as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kebab22)
    Cynical bunch you lot!

Sire, do you believe that the war in Iraq was a just war?

I do not accept that handing judicial responsibility to Iraq is responsible on the part of the coalition. Firstly, the chances of getting anyway near a fair trial are close to nil. Though no where gives a fair trial, I believe it is fair to say that Iraq would be one of the least impartial venues for an Iraqi dictator who murdered millions.

Secondly, if the coalition really is trying to 'make a better, fairer, more democratic world' something I am particularly dubious about, then surely it is sensible to allow a trail to take place in an instituiton where the priciples of human rights and democracy are the very tenets of their existence.This would be consistent and would rebut critics who claim America is a unilaterlist super power acting in its own parochial, corporate interests.

For America to just allow Saddam to be tried in Iraq, and then underhandedly influence the decision, say in favour of the death sentence, would be deeply cynical.

Fairness and democracy cannot be injected into a justice system that less than a year ago was an instrument of a brutal oppressive dictatorship. There is no quick fix, if the West decides to go about invading sovereign states on humanitarian grounds then we must bear the weight of making this a proper transformation - in my opinion this can only be done in the context of the international community as a whole.
    Are you still on about this? Of course it wasn't a just war. The end is good yeah, but the US still had no right to go to war, otherwise the UN would have done it. Simple as that, though I could get complicated and argue right up until I go to work in 6 hours, but I'm going to get some sleep. Finally, Saddam shouldn't be executed for one simple reason. Two wrongs don't make a right. What is it going to prove? That when a bullet passes through the brain a human male will die???? NO **** Sherlock. Was there really any doubt about it? Besides, a better punishment would be horrible treatment in a gaol somewhere. etc etc etc Night people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    . Finally, Saddam shouldn't be executed for one simple reason. Two wrongs don't make a right. What is it going to prove?
    that he is dead and that the Iraqi people can finally live without fearing that he may be able to control his supporters or rebels from inside an Iraqi jail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    that he is dead and that the Iraqi people can finally live without fearing that he may be able to control his supporters or rebels from inside an Iraqi jail.
    As long as he remains alive he will be a figurehead. The only concern with executing him is that, after he is dead, he may become a martyr for his cause.

ReputationRep:
    Posted by Mr White - 4 Minutes Ago at 02:58 AM
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by vienna95
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as he remains alive he will be a figurehead. The only concern with executing him is that, after he is dead, he may become a martyr for his cause.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I didn't say that he would be allowed to talk to anyone. Horrible treatment is just that. Surround him with people who would love the idea of him being powerless etc. And great point about being a martyr. The chances of that happening are seemingly higher with each passing day.

ReputationRep:
    Yes He should be. Then the iraqi people can live in peace and get on with their lives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    No, a painful, lloooooooooong execution is in order. No feelings spared torturing session like he did to many of the inhabitants of his country. Preferably televised, I'd like to see it! At last, one good thing to come out of a stupid, pointless war!
    xxx
    my thoughts exactly

ReputationRep:
    Talking about a 'fair trial' of Saddam is pure hypocrisy. Of course he won't get a 'fair trial', because this is all about politics!

Saddam's trial makes only political sense. It is indeed a political necessity. But it has nothing to do with justice.

Trying Saddam with what we generally understand to be a judicial system makes no sense anyway, he didn't break any laws since it was him who made them!

I'm not trying to say that it is wrong to try Saddam, I'm only saying it's wrong to talk about a 'fair trial', where justice is irrelevant and politics is all-important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    Talking about a 'fair trial' of Saddam is pure hypocrisy. Of course he won't get a 'fair trial', because this is all about politics!

Saddam's trial makes only political sense. It is indeed a political necessity. But it has nothing to do with justice.

Trying Saddam with what we generally understand to be a judicial system makes no sense anyway, he didn't break any laws since it was him who made them!

I'm not trying to say that it is wrong to try Saddam, I'm only saying it's wrong to talk about a 'fair trial', where justice is irrelevant and politics is all-important.
    Lets just say he wont ever get away with al teast a life sentence

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. It would depend how it was done if it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    because international courts should only be used when national ones are inappropriate. it remains to be seen, but if possible Saddam should be tried in Baghdad.
    That's true, but SH has also commited crimes against non-Iraqis too, like the Iranians. An international court for this would be far more appropriate. He also hasn't been held accountable for the invasion of Kuwait, another point where an international court would be better suited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    well....?
    Well i think that an Iraqi jury should decide.

I disagree with the death penalty in general, but if that is the way that its going to encourage Iraq to become a more peaceful place, then i cannot say a definitive no to it.

ReputationRep:
    i think they should put him in a zoo like an animal

ReputationRep:
    I think they should send him to a male prison with a cellmate named butch or bubba. The perhaps, we could reallly find out where the WMD are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbiesno1)
    Yes He should be. Then the iraqi people can live in peace and get on with their lives
    Im torn in this situation. In a way he should. but havent we moved on from the dark ages. and wouldnt death be the easy way out for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammy)
    Im torn in this situation. In a way he should. but havent we moved on from the dark ages. and wouldnt death be the easy way out for him.
    Hmmm, execute him and he becomes a martyr as previously said, his hardened worshippers will idolise him and his ideas and notions will carry on through his followers, Im sure Sire will pick up on this to give an example. Although Hitler wasnt executed, the NYP and other affiliated groups live on. The people of Iraq need to see this *great* man humiliated as they have been, they need to see he is not to be feared, but pitied for what he has become. Sorry folks, Im all for capital punishment, just dont think killing this guy is the means to an end.

ReputationRep:
    The death penalty is never an answer it just breeds more and more destructive behaviour.
    If the americans really wanted to make themselves come out of this the good guys then they should send him to the hague to be tried.
    No one should be innocent until speculated guilty and he'll never get a fair trail in iraq(under US occupation) or america, the least we can do in a "civilised" society is to give everyone a fair and just trail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    well....?
    he should stay alive as a execution will not mkae him suffer and he will not b able to realise what he has done and that he has to suffer for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    And...

As I said before, we should uphold justice and our true values instead of stooping to the levels of dictators. It makes us no better if we don't give everyone a chance.

Yeah, we mustn't stoop to the level of a vicious dictator we funded and kept in power, his crime was betrayal of America interests. I mean, they supported it him when it was in their interests to do so. So, I suppose it would be quite fitting to have him tried in the U.S., using a U.S. judge and an indoctrinated jury. I cannot think of a more appropriate end to this farce. And then followed by a speech by Rumsfeld, something on evil dictators and the vicious people that supply them with arms.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.