Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok so im looking at going to a few different uni's to do business and management and i am not sure which to choose..

Nottingham
    Surrey
    Sheffield
    Cardiff
    Loughborough
    Exeter
    Aston

what i want to know is, which of the above would you recommend in terms of student life -

accommodation
    sports facilities
    union
    entertainment
    area
    employability

im not to keen on living in a big city centre like london or manchester (hence not being on the list) but i not particulary want to be in the middle of nowhere either..

thanks in advance

bs

ReputationRep:
    accommodation-not sure
    sports facilities- Loughborough and Sheffield by far
    union- Cardiff and Sheffield
    entertainment-Sheffield
    area-not sure, Surrey is good though, nice area and close to London if you want to visit.
    employability- Sheffield,Nottingham, Exeter, Cardiff, Aston

Thats just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Aston is supposed to be really good for business, and Nottingham is an excellent uni overall, so those would probably be best in terms of employability.

ReputationRep:
    OK, i don't know about all of those universities, so i'll give you a breakdown of Nottingham.

Accomm - campus University with a choice of self catering flats or catered halls. There is a wide range of room types to choose from and the rooms in the halls seem to be a decent size and of ok quality. Each catered hall has it's own bar and common room and sports teams.

Sports facilities - Nottingham has quite a big sports centre with loads going on, although obviously it can't rival Loughborough in this respect.

Union - the Union seems to be fairly active, there's loads of societies than run individual nights and the Union has a bar on campus called the Ark. Ther'es also Karni in which the halls compete to raise the most money for charity, it sounds boring but it seems to involve a lot of fun and alcohol.

Entertainment - well there is a theatre on campus that runs plays and comedy nights. Of course there are hall bars and events which the halls run for the students. You also have the opportunity to travel to Nottingham City Centre where you should find everything you need to be entertained.

Area - well i live in Surrey, and it is lovely, Guildford is fairly quiet for a University town, although i do go out there quite abit and have a good time (expensive compared to some of your other choices though) The area is part of the reason i picked Nottingham, i love the huge green campus, but i'm only minutes away from a really vibrant student city with loads to do. According to people who live there this gun crime thing really isn't an issue in student areas and it's mostly inter gang (in case you were worried about that)

Employability - Nottingham has an excellent reputation for your course and as a University overall. You really should check out the details of your course though, as that should have a huge impact on which universities you prefer.

I'm not trying to sell Nottingham to you, it's just i can't compare it to most of the other unis you've listed because i didn't research them. If you do want to know more about Nottingham you can PM me or pop over to the sub forum where i'm sure people will answer your questions. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    accommodation-not sure
    sports facilities- Loughborough and Sheffield by far
    union- Cardiff and Sheffield
    entertainment-Sheffield
    area-not sure, Surrey is good though, nice area and close to London if you want to visit.
    employability- Sheffield,Nottingham, Exeter, Cardiff, Aston

Thats just my opinion.
    Aston's greatest strength is business and management. Aston is probably the best one for employability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bs.uk)
    Nottingham
    Surrey
    Sheffield
    Cardiff
    Loughborough
    Exeter
    Aston
    accommodation - no idea, aston's accommodation is not great, over priced for reasonable accommodation [lakeside]
    sports facilities - Loughborough is the best out of those
    union - no idea
    entertainment - bham [aston] is great
    area - i didnt like the area surrounding aston, i think loughborough has a good area
    employability - aston, nottingham are the best out of those

ReputationRep:
    Aston is also however, slap bang in the middle of Birmingham, a city of like 1.4 million people.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen the accomodation at Exeter, Cardiff, Sheffield and Nottingham, and imo Cardiff's was by far the best. Especially if you want self-catered. And it's pretty cheap too. And it's a capital city so there's going to be loads to do! But having said that, I really loved Exeter and Sheffield when I visited too. And Aston is really good for business. So I guess I'm not really much help!

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that Surrey is rated very highly by employers.

ReputationRep:
    accommodation - can't comment

sports facilities - l'boro undisputed champion there, nottingham usually comes second to them haha

union - exeter or sheffield

entertainment - nottingham has one of the highest club/bar ratios per person in europe, nottingham or sheffield there

area - exeter pretty campus, l'boro very small, aston, slightly ugly area, cardiff, nice uni but smaller city than sheffield or notts

employability - if you are looking at grad recruiters nottingham is easily top, with exeter then sheffield behind it

ReputationRep:
    hey bs

i noticed that you dont have Bath on your list of potential unis. i myself am heading there this coming october to study business admin, basically business management. i found this to be the best course and uni available.

accommodation - really good mix of it ranging from the more expensive to the least

sports facilities - its well up there with the likes of loughborough

union/entertainment - bath isnt renown for its bars or nightlife but there are only so many bars you can go to in one night...arent there?! lol

area - you say your not looking for a highly built up area!! well bath is ideal. the city is just down the road and the campus is nice and green and small - sense of 'home'

employability - the course is one of the best available in my eyes...well i would say that. its a 4 yr sandwich - you have 2 6 month placements and the opportunity to spend a semester abroud.

i'd def recommend you taking a look. also...perhaps lancaster

ReputationRep:
    I dont really think theres any debate as Nottinghams business dept is the best out of the lot in terms of employability and reputation and overal is much more highly rated. Accom. is brilliant and in terms of entertainment (as Mousey said) Nottingham town centre has everything you need and if your not into that sort of thing, you can stay on campus which has a few bars and shops.

Top 3: Notts.....................Exeter and Sheff/Aston

ReputationRep:
    In terms of overall rep as a uni i would say:

- Nottingham then
    - Sheffield then
    - Loughborough/Aston (even though Aston is small and not hyped it has a good rep and lufbra seems to have shrugged off its "sports science" stigma in recent years) then
    - Cardiff / Exeter (2 unis which have good reputations, possibly better than the two above in some ways but for some reason i wouldn't rate them as highly, and they never seem to do very well in league tables)
    - Surrey

In terms of sports i would say loughborough top definitely, then notts and sheffield.

Union/Entertainment-wise i would put sheffield and nottingham at the top - as someone said nottingham has loads of clubs and bars but it has a reputation for being a bit violent and unwelcoming, whereas Sheffield also has lots of stuff to do but has a reputation for being a much friendlier city, so i would go with sheffield.

Overall i would put:

1 - Sheffield (it's england's greenest city, the uni has history behind it, it's a friendly city which is very populer with its students and has a great rep with employers)

2 - Notts (great rep as a uni but the city itself isn't supposed to be overly nice. saying that, it seemed fine the few times i visited and the nightlife is apparently great).

3 - L/boro (a good all rounder which is on the up, great for sports facilities, quite small place tho and some people still think its a "mickey mouse" uni)

4 - Aston (good little uni which is supposed to excellent for business but isn't as well known as others)

5 - Cardiff (nothing bad to say about it, very good rep, good city by all accounts)

6 - Exeter (nice location but get the impression it thinks it's a bit better than it is)

7 - Surrey (nice location, good for business, but a bit average overall)

That's just my opinion based on all the factors you mentioned like location, union, rep etc. If i was going purely on overall reputation i would put notts, on location (for me) Exeter, on business rep, Aston etc.

They're all good unis though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimiboy)
    bath isnt renown for its bars or nightlife but there are only so many bars you can go to in one night...arent there?! lol
    Just wanted to add that Bristol's only about 10 or 15 minutes away from Bath by train, and it has wicked nightlife. So you get all the benefits of living in a gorgeous little place by day, with the added extra of being able to go clubbing in the city at night

ReputationRep:
    Just want to note that Exeter is in the top 7 for sports facilities in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimiboy)
    hey bs

i noticed that you dont have Bath on your list of potential unis. i myself am heading there this coming october to study business admin, basically business management. i found this to be the best course and uni available.
    ive also looked at bath but you require AAA/AAB to get in and i dont think ill manage that, im looking in the region of ABB/BBB hence the above choices.

thanks so far for the advice, i think im going to have to go to some open days ive read through all the prospectuses and watched a couple of dvd's and i quite like the look of Cardiff, Sheffield and Surrey out of my above choices.

1 last point, can anybody recommend any other universities in which to do business management all with the qualities describe above that dont require such high entry.. hertfordshire didnt look too bad but its an ex polytechnic..

ReputationRep:
    Bath, I've found, can actually be quite lenient with their offers (or the Computer Science department can be at least). I applied for their Information Systems course, and I honestly didn't think I'd get an offer as they were typically AAB and my predictions were a little below that. However, after reading my personal statement and teacher reference, they must have liked me and invited me to an interview. Then I got an offer of BBB! The same happened with a few other people I know.

If you really like the look of it, I'd say go for it and apply. You might get a nice surprise. But if you don't really want to go there anyway, just ignore what I've said

ReputationRep:
    I know that my brother had an offer to do business as Sheffield and it was AAB (not including A level french which was a little bizarre which he had an A in so really they wanted him to get AAAB). I think their standard offer was AAB/ABB. Are they the kind of grades you're hoping to get? This was a couple of years ago so i expect the standard offer is more like AAB than ABB now...

ReputationRep:
    sheffield is ABB at the moment, i hoping to get ABB/BBB maybe bit lower...depends on AS grades i suppose (cant retake them all in jan now can i, well i cud...)

back to the question - any uni's with above qualities that offer business and management at lower entry requirements.. (200-300 ucas points)

ReputationRep:
    cardiff is cheap in terms of living costs (around £1500 for the halls). plus, the union is great! the management course is BSc so there is maths involved in the course (statistics). that may be a problem?

surrey, loughborough and Aston is good for employment wise, mainly because they are offer course with industry placements. i think they grade requirements are like AAB though. what are you predicted?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.