Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I need some help I am having a dilemma over whether to go to the Uni that I like the best, or the ones that have a Jewish community?

On my shortlist are:
    Edingburgh
    St Andrews
    LSE
    York
    Warwick
    Durham

Edingburgh, Warwick, Durham, York & LSE all have liberal synagogues nearby so that is OK. However, I really like St Andrews because it has a great course and you can study Hebrew and Arabic as an extra which will be great. The problem is it has no liberal synagogue. There is an Orthodox one which is all the way in Dundee, so basically if I go to St Andrews there would be no chance of me getting to Synagogue at all really. What do you think I should base my decision on, Uni or Jewish life? Has anyone else had to through a similar decision? Any help would be great!

ReputationRep:
    If the presence of a synagogue is important to you, then it is an important criterion. You need to go somewhere you'll be happy, and if the lack of a liberal synagogue will get in the way of that, go elsewhere. If it's something that you feel ought to matter but, when you're honest, won't actually make much difference, don't turn down your best options because of it.

ReputationRep:
    This is a question that only you can answer (wow what a cliche!)...but it's true, a load of people on a message board that you don't really know can't answer that! Would you be happy doing a course without a synagogue nearby? If so then go for somewhere without out, if not then go to one with one!!

It may be a hard decision, but none of us can really make it for you!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies I think the problem is that I am so used to being around Jewish people/culture etc that I do not really know how I will react etc being away from it all. I am just going to have to think long and hard about over the summer, and see if it becomes any clearer for me.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, is there a big difference between the liberal/Orthodox branches? I suppose I just don't notice the variation in other religions.

If it is important to you, I'd say go for somewhere that has a synagogue. However, if you're just not going because you're scared of being separated from people of the same culture etc, remember that everyone gets that to at least some degree and that most Unis do have at least a Jewish society which I imagine will welcome pretty much anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Just out of curiosity, is there a big difference between the liberal/Orthodox branches? I suppose I just don't notice the variation in other religions.

If it is important to you, I'd say go for somewhere that has a synagogue. However, if you're just not going because you're scared of being separated from people of the same culture etc, remember that everyone gets that to at least some degree and that most Unis do have at least a Jewish society which I imagine will welcome pretty much anyone.
    Yes there is a very big difference between the two branches I would not be comfortable going to an Orthodox synagogue (they would probably not accept me anyway). Maybe I am getting a bit ahead of myself, I haven't even applied yet!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.