Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok well today i went looking for a job and i went back to the same place i did my work experence in pizza hut in crystal palace and they didnt have any jobs so they told me to go to a pizza hut in beckinam or something so i went there and they said they didnt have any jobs and the man said that i couldnt even be a waitress because they have alcohol even tho i did serve people in my work experence. so he gave me an application and said that i could be a reciptionist on fridays and saturdays for only like 6 hrs or something.
    so whats all that about? ive never herd of that before
    and i went to the pizza hut on streatham high road and no jobs there either

ReputationRep:
    How about a different chain? Why does it have to be pizza hut?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, try dominoes or something!?? But I must say I like the uniform of Pizza Hut!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    How about a different chain? Why does it have to be pizza hut?
    well im not sure where else to go i would try little resturants and stuff but ther anrnt any really in my area

ReputationRep:
    JUst try any rundown rubbishy cafe. it wont smell to great but they dont acre how old you are as long as the old men ar pelased to see you for their bacon sannies its kushty lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gossip_girl)
    well im not sure where else to go i would try little resturants and stuff but ther anrnt any really in my area
    Try independent places too. I don't work for a chain, and the pay's really good. Try everywhere! I had to try about 10 places before I got an interview 'cos I had no experience.

ReputationRep:
    Try independent places too. I don't work for a chain, and the pay's really good. Try everywhere! I had to try about 10 places before I got an interview 'cos I had no experience.
    yeah i'll try. its annoying not being 18

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'll try. its annoying not being 18
    I started being a bus-girl when I was 16, which is essentially the same as being a waitress but you don't deal with bills or have specific areas/tables. The waitresses shared their tips with me, and as soon as I was 18 I moved up to being a waitress, so that might be an option.

ReputationRep:
    I started being a bus-girl when I was 16, which is essentially the same as being a waitress but you don't deal with bills or have specific areas/tables. The waitresses shared their tips with me, and as soon as I was 18 I moved up to being a waitress, so that might be an option.
    lucky you

ReputationRep:
    lucky you
    I'm trying to help you. If you say you're willing to be a bus-girl until you're 18, they might like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a waitress under 18 and I serve alcohol all the time....

is this not legal? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I thought it was illegal for someone underage to sell alcohol!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    As you've found out, you cannot serve alcohol until you are 18 years old. This does not mean that you cannot work in a licensed premisis, simply that you may not pour or serve alcohol for customers. You can still take drink orders. Pizza Hut is not a chain, it is a franchaise. That is that it is owned and operated by independent people but under the same general name. This means that not all the same rules of employment are followed by each Pizza Hut. Saying that, I see no reason why a Pizza Hut would not hire people under the age of 18. I am assuming that you did not ask to work behind a bar, only to be a waitress. If you were offered 6 hours a week, then it is a start. It will give you a few hours a week work(time perhaps to get another part time job?) plus experience in a high volume restaurant.

Now, you said that you have work experience, which is a start. Many people apply with no experience. (Everyone has to start somewhere.) People can get jobs as waiting staff with no prior experience but you need to come across as a hardworking and willing individual. Waiting is hard work, as many people here will tell you, and it doesn't pay well as is usually pretty thankless. It helps if it is something that you are actually intersted in, rathar than a 'filler' job. Make up a CV, detailing your work placement and what you achieved at school. Make a cover letter asking if they have any vacancies and if not, could they keep a record of your CV. Apply to every restaurant, even if they are not looking for staff. They will keep your CV on record for when a vacancy becomes available. If they say that you are not suitable, ring or write to them and ask them for feedback so that you can improve any negetive qualities before applying to another job. Keep trying though, you'll find one soon.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Saree)
    Yes, I thought it was illegal for someone underage to sell alcohol!
    Yes, it is compleatly illegal and you stand to face a £5,000 fine for such a thing. You MUST be 18 to pour, sell or handle alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear....
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I assume it is a small private establishment that you work in?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    GG, also try http://www.caterer.com

ReputationRep:
    yeah, very small... why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    GG, also try http://www.caterer.com
    omg thank you!!!!!!!!!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by *steph 247*)
    yeah, very small... why?
    Because there is no way a large chain or well established business would bend the rules in such a way. In my experience it is only smaller run ones, headed by one General Manager. This GM is left to interperate their own rules and may overlook or bend rules in order to make a service period easier or increase revenue. If something of the sort was done in a large scale restaurant it would be far easier to spot.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.