Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The third world isn't our problem.
    If we hadn't colonialised them, that would ring true. Unfortunately we did, so the third world is our problem. Live 8 concerts isn't the way to deal with it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    How could they know how not to have children, with a complete lack of sex education and/or contraceptives available?
    F**k me! You lot really do think they're inferior don't you?

Kooks.
    "NOBLESSE OBLIGE RACISM: A subconscious belief among some "anti-racist" or aracial white people that white people are superior (in a parent to a child way) to non-white people and that because of this, superior whites must treat non-whites as little children or pets and that whites must overlook negative things done by non-whites that would never be overlooked in their fellow "superior" whites. In other words, just as we wouldn't expect a child to act like an adult, these Noblesse Oblige Racists don't expect non-whites to act like fully functioning human beings who are responsible for their own actions and welfare. Noblesse Oblige Racists believe that non-whites must be carefully taught by whites and treated with parental kindness by the superior and wiser whites. "Daahling, the poor non-white dears can't help themselves. After all, they're not white." Paradoxically, the Noblesse Oblige Racists who, remember, subconsciously believe that whites are superior to non-whites, are often also full of racist hatred toward themselves and other whites."

If you want to help them (and even I do), their overpopulation problem is the place to start and finish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)

Kooks.
    "NOBLESSE OBLIGE RACISM: A subconscious belief among some "anti-racist" or aracial white people that white people are superior (in a parent to a child way) to non-white people and that because of this, superior whites must treat non-whites as little children or pets and that whites must overlook negative things done by non-whites that would never be overlooked in their fellow "superior" whites. In other words, just as we wouldn't expect a child to act like an adult, these Noblesse Oblige Racists don't expect non-whites to act like fully functioning human beings who are responsible for their own actions and welfare. Noblesse Oblige Racists believe that non-whites must be carefully taught by whites and treated with parental kindness by the superior and wiser whites. "Daahling, the poor non-white dears can't help themselves. After all, they're not white." Paradoxically, the Noblesse Oblige Racists who, remember, subconsciously believe that whites are superior to non-whites, are often also full of racist hatred toward themselves and other whites."

If you want to help them (and even I do), their overpopulation problem is the place to start and finish.

How does that translate to being superiror? It is a fact that there is a lack of education in african countries, let alone sex education.

ReputationRep:
    I resent that suggestion.

Developing countries lack the facilities to provide sex education or contraceptives. That leads to a lot of unplanned pregnancies. Its nothing to do with race whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    If we hadn't colonialised them, that would ring true. Unfortunately we did, so the third world is our problem. Live 8 concerts isn't the way to deal with it though.
    You need to show that Africa today is the poorer for colonialism. Their own genius never took them much beyond the stone age, iron age maybe in parts.

Western 'blame' for their problems is better attributed to the agriculture, food, aid and medicine we've given them since empire ended - population explosion a result.

Alexdel, even the people of Africa know that sex creates babies. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

How? Why do we provide sex education in our schools then, if everyone already knows?

ReputationRep:
    You need to show that Africa today is the poorer for colonialism. Their own genius never took them much beyond the stone age, iron age maybe in parts.

Western 'blame' for their problems is better attributed to the agriculture, food, aid and medicine we've given them since empire ended - population explosion a result.

I was merely pointing out why we should care about the third world. If you want to ignore the problems that colonialism caused, that is entirely up to you. Because I do not believe for a second that you do not know the problems and their causes. If you really don't, Google is your friend

ReputationRep:
    Many had better lives when these states were colonies. Now they are ruled by corrupt elites who close their country off and with all the poverty that creates.

ReputationRep:
    Africa's environment is also a major reason why it will be very hard to properly develop economically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esx77)
    Africa's environment is also a major reason why it can't properly develop economically
    its a fairly surmountable barrier to economic development though - you can look around the world at a number of nations that have an natural environment that you would associate as not conducive to economic growth e.g. Japan (extremely mountainous, little room for growth and difficult to build transport links) and Taiwan (much the same really) which have developed. It's by no means a serious long term barrier to development.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    No its not, when we gave them independence we made their problems their own, or perhaps we should blame the middle eastern and eastern european problems on the mongol empire. And besides we have already sent them 6 times the amount of money than was used to re-build the whole of europe after WW2, its not our fault they spend it on tanks. Its not up to us to sort their problems, its up to them. All we should do is look out for our own country, stop the immgrant flood, give our pensioners what they deaserve, leave the EU, kick out the asylum seekers and stick our fingers up at the rest of the world. And my last point, Britain started off just as poor as any country, but we built up our country, they should be left to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    No its not, when we gave them independence we made their problems their own, or perhaps we should blame the middle eastern and eastern european problems on the mongol empire. And besides we have already sent them 6 times the amount of money than was used to re-build the whole of europe after WW2, its not our fault they spend it on tanks. Its not up to us to sort their problems, its up to them. All we should do is look out for our own country, stop the immgrant flood, give our pensioners what they deaserve, leave the EU, kick out the asylum seekers and stick our fingers up at the rest of the world. And my last point, Britain started off just as poor as any country, but we built up our country, they should be left to do the same.
    This deserves 10 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    All we should do is look out for our own country, stop the immgrant flood, give our pensioners what they deaserve, leave the EU, kick out the asylum seekers and stick our fingers up at the rest of the world. .
    Compassion reigns at BNP headquarters.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to say that aid should be stopped, but I think there are many problems that need to be addressed before giving money will make a difference. It seems pretty apparent that until the politics in African countries changes, aid will not achieve that much. I just don't see why people think that giving aid, this time round, will not disappear into corruption, as it has done before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Compassion reigns at BNP headquarters.
    I really wonder whether they are human beings or not, or maybe they don't consider "non-whites" as humans :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, the way the present system runs, a lot of aid does end up in the pockets of government leaders. However, some of it does get through. A combination of gradually freeing up trade so that economies of the world can adjust to it slowly rather than facing a world wide sudden crash and aid would really make a difference. Once free trade is established, then aid can gradually be withdrawn allowing countries to end dependance on the west. Most importantly, if the CAP and assosiated organisations are stopped, then lots of Africa's problems will be solved, although this could cause short term problems in Europe. Did you know that today, the average French cow will earn more than $2, whilst millions struggle to survive on less than $1 per day???

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that today, the average French cow will earn more than $2, whilst millions struggle to survive on less than $1 per day??

The French are a disgrace to defend CAP. They are parasites on all of us and the sooner CAP is abolished the better. If it is not done away with we should leave the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think that a lot of people realise that aid is not necesserily giving money to countries. Most of the aid nowadays comes in the form of subsidies which in turn the countries recieviing them have to spend it on goods from the country giving the subsidy which shows how 'generous' most countries are. It shouldnt be called aid, more like grants with a lot of strings attached.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    I dont think that a lot of people realise that aid is not necesserily giving money to countries. Most of the aid nowadays comes in the form of subsidies which in turn the countries recieviing them have to spend it on goods from the country giving the subsidy which shows how 'generous' most countries are. It shouldnt be called aid, more like grants with a lot of strings attached.
    "Tied aid" was a common occurance mainly during the 70s/80s/90s (as you correctly described), but its use has been reduced recently. Aid is increasingly being channel through NGOs/charities atm. An example (a terrible example) is where the UK Government decided to give aid to Tanzania to build an air traffic control system (built by UK companies) ... which has such great use to those suffering in poverty ... :rolleyes:

Having said that, the UK is the only country that gives 100% untied aid ... one of the most pleasing aspects of British policy atm.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.