Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For our Ecology course we have to go to Cardiff on a field trip for a week. It costs £315, including a non refundable £50.

Now, at the start of the year my dad talked with the head of biology and they discussed the matter and the conclusion was that i COULD STAY BEHIND AND DO THE COURSEWORK IN SCHOOL, rather than at the field trip.

Now, the Head of Bio has fallen critically ill and the "stand-in" leader of Biology says that it is COMPULSORY to go.

Meaning that if i don't pay by wednesday, i can't carry onto A2! :mad:

Now here's what's ****ed up..

I got this compulsory news on Friday
    The guy is gonna meet me tomorrow
    The school is a PUBLIC school..

So i'm SURE there's no compulsion to go on this trip. If the head actually said i can stay, then i fail to see the problem.

Sorry about this rant, but i'm real stressed and p!ssed at these people. I'm just gonna tell the guy that the head of Bio said i can stay.

kapeesh

ReputationRep:
    I dont see why you would need to go on the trip, mine was a day trip doing quadrats etc and it was a waste of my time, I didnt learn anything! The AQA txt book was my bible!

ReputationRep:
    My trip was a single day, fk knows how you can do a week of ecology, 8hours was bad enough. We went to a rocky beach called Craster after AS exams and basically got on the coach at 4am to get the low tide, did a line transect a few quadrats and took some photos of us messing around with seaweed and that was it. I went out the night before as well, went straight from the clubs to the coach and ha a shower at school. Ahhh good times. But yeah. If you're doind AQA B all you need to know is summarised in the text book (main green Collins A2 one) and worth getting also is the little ecology book of joy, a Collins environment revision guide thing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...870199-6870037

or ISBN 0007124171

ReputationRep:
    We had our biology field trip (to Cranedale) in September, right before our A2's started. I think it was mostly torture, as we had to stay up until about 9.30-10.00 P.M. doing all this statistical work on ecology, and then up the next day at around 7.00 A.M. to start work at around 8.00 A.M.

For the most part, it was extremely boring, but I think one useful thing I took away from it was the actual knowledge of how to use Mark-Release-Recapture, and other statistical techniques which were on the syllabus. I think when you implement a certain technique, it is easier to remember (similar to the practicals with Chemistry) and apply in the exams.

However, on the whole, I don't think it was worth it, and I hope you manage to convince the teacher tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    unlucky dude.. i am not kean on biologists either.. i had to pay £10 to go to the zoo... it was completely un-educational, there was a talk for almost 30 minutes on how elephants maintain homeostasis by flapping their ears and what not..
    i was lucky.. only had to pay £1 for my fieldwork to cover insurance.. we had to walk 40 minutes to get there, then there was a massive storm and it was called off because of health and safety.. we were gonna get hit by lightning..
    i would laugh it off and do your work on your own in a field, that sounds like a joke to me.. borrow equipment from college

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.