Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how hard is As maths and i thought i would get it staright from people doing it. I will be doing the edexcel examboard, and i was wondering what people think about it. Im sorry if a thread like this has already been made, if it has can you please redirect me to it? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I did edexcel this year with less lesson time a week and didnt bother doing HW because of GCSEs which were more important. Last year I got A* for my GCSE and in the AS C1 i got a U and S1 an A. I'm taking it again next year though! I didnt think it was that hard, the U was more down to no effort or time. At the end of the day its probably one of the mopst respected A Levels you can do

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, i just wanted to hear it from people who have done it previoulsy. The teachers say its fine and youll be ok, but that doesnt through any light on it. Glad to hear its ok from someone doing it! Now i am looking forward to it rather than dredding it!!

ReputationRep:
    Maths is great! Especially after the boredom of GCSE! When you get onto the C3/C4, you get nice trig and vectors and loads of juicy integrations.
    It all starts to make sense after GCSE. You actually enjoy it quite much if you work hard.

ReputationRep:
    Cool thanks, what option module do you take, im thinking of taking stats but im not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. If you're good at Maths, but found GCSE boring. A-level (especially A2) will be heaven. The A2 Trig is quite hard though, but do-able if you're willing to work hard. I'll be starting the Further Maths modules in September. Looking forward to that!

ReputationRep:
    Cool, i hope to get an A in maths GCSE, i found GCSE maths quite boring yes, and some of it was very easy, i hope AS and A2 will provide bigger challenges!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutchopper)
    Cool, i hope to get an A in maths GCSE, i found GCSE maths quite boring yes, and some of it was very easy, i hope AS and A2 will provide bigger challenges!
    AS maths is cool. i dont do edexcel, but if you enjoy it you'll find it ok. i thinks it fun, cos your focusing on certain aspects of maths

ReputationRep:
    AS maths is not as hard as u think it is.
    Its mostly straight forward.
    A2 maths is a big jump though from AS.

since u have a predicted grade of A for GCSE u will handle AS maths no problem.

ReputationRep:
    AS maths is quite straightforward, though Core 2 has logarithms which are really confusing first time you meet them...in terms of applied units, take mechanics if you can, much nicer on the mathematical front, D1 and S1 are dense, wordy and tedious.

As said beforehand, A2 maths is a different teapot of crustaceans.

Edexcel examboard are...well....they are better than **%$^"££$6 AQA

But I am not happy with them only having 17 sittable maths exams now

ReputationRep:
    I personally found AS math MUCH easier than (I)GCSE math....If you're taking Edexcel than AS is quite easy although C2 might be alittle confusing....A2 on the other hand, is said to be quite hard but if you do well in your AS modules you won't have to worry too much about C3/C4.

ReputationRep:
    I also found AS (and A2) Maths easier than GCSE Maths, maybe it's because GCSE Maths was boring, but definately do at least AS Maths (even then I consider you to be a non-believer), it's very easy I think.

Try to do C1, C2, C3, that would be most beneficial.

I got a B in GCSE and am willing to bet everything I own that I have got an A in A Level Maths (our class did it in one year, Double Maths).

ReputationRep:
    Never think its easy and that it can't get more difficult, because it can... But you must enjoy a challenge, PROPER challenges, or A level maths will not be for you.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how hard is As maths and i thought i would get it staright from people doing it. I will be doing the edexcel examboard, and i was wondering what people think about it. Im sorry if a thread like this has already been made, if it has can you please redirect me to it? Thanks
    it is easy..go for it - did it whole AS in 3 months - normal maths in a year...tis all possible...but depends on how your miind works, tbh

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all that help people!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I found AS maths easier than GCSE relatively. There were much fewer questions that you might not know how to "do". It's just like an extension to what you've been doing, similar to another GCSE topic, for example C1 starts off with things like trignometry (we didn't even cover that topic because it was exactly the same as GCSE) and surds, algebra, things like that.

C2 is like an extension to C1, covering several topics in greater depth.

Maths is great!

I heard that A2 maths will be much harder though...and I'm guessing it would require a lot of dedication, but you're asking about AS, right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh just AS for the moment, dont want to get to far ahead xD From induction day i have a piece of maths homework, its a book to help us from GCSE to AS that should help

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don't think it's an enormous leap - from GCSE to AS that is. So yeah, it should help

ReputationRep:
    Yeh he just doesnt want us to forget all of the stuff we learned over the summer!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh just AS for the moment, dont want to get to far ahead xD From induction day i have a piece of maths homework, its a book to help us from GCSE to AS that should help
    mind you, AS to A2 maths is not that great a leap either if you ask me...but i found that the transition from normal maths to further maths was very weird...you actually have to work in further maths:eek:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 6, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.