Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    stop putting prospective mathmos off!
    If anything this thread should be helping them decide whether they want to do maths or not!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutchopper)
    Yeh but in one year doing a whole A level, wouldnt that be really hard?
    no, not really...depends on how your mind works i suppose...i loved maths, and did it for fun, so thrived on the one year maths A-level.

if you love it, you'll do good (generalally speaking), if you find it a chore, you'll prolly not work hard for it, so would reccomend breaking it up, but nb that enough people do maths in a year, so its completly possible, and not hard

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i think i may still stick to doing it in two years, as although i love maths it can sometimes get slightly tricky after a while!

ReputationRep:
    a B - how did u get so friggin smart? - must av worked ya balls off!-teachers in my schollo would have thought twice about letting someone with a B at GCSE even do maths - i rate u on your transformation
    Heh, thanks. To be honest years of boredom in school made me not really care about working hard so once I started actually teaching myself it wasn't too bad. Of course, I actually failed the first A-Level maths exam I took (m1) because I didn't know trigonometry for right angled triangles

btw...anyone read "digital fortress"? i've nearly finished reading it and its so cool - 've also read the da vinci code, angels and demons and deception point - anyone know of any other dan brown books...need to get more reading books
    I've read those, all are really good. I actually listented to them on unabrdged audiobook first, then bought them. I don't think he has any more novels out yet, or at least I haven't read any more.
    John Grisham is also quite a good author, as was Douglas Adams.

how about doing AS/A2 maths in one year, has anyone done this 'cos i think im gona be bored doin it over too, i am willing to put the effort in though
    Very possible if you're prepared to put in the effort and teach yourself if necessary. It leaves you with more decisions as well because you can decide whether you want to do further maths in the second year.
    I much enjoyed doing (past tense) further maths as+a2 this year with my other subjects after pretty much finishing maths a2 over the summer and deciding I wanted to do further maths on results day.

ReputationRep:
    Well im off to read a book, thanks again for all your help, it has confirmed to me that i want to do maths! Im looking forward to sixth form, i can't wait

ReputationRep:
    Well im off to read a book, thanks again for all your help, it has confirmed to me that i want to do maths! Im looking forward to sixth form, i can't wait
    well, you wern't expecting to be put off maths in a maths sub-forum were you? that would be a bit illogical :rolleyes: - glad you decided on maths

off to do some shopping in morrisons...bye for a bit everyone.

ReputationRep:
    two years was hard enough for me....

Just bear in mind nutchopper that most of these people giving you advice not only do further maths but are some sort of maths geniuses. Or are extremely arrogant.

You shouldn't be any under illusions, a-levels maths is one of the hardest a-levels you can do. I got an A at gcse but had to work really hard to get an A at AS level. But ultimately i've really enjoyed the subject, its academically rigourous and a challenge. Hopefully you'll get a good teacher because mine was nothing short of inspirational.

C1, and C2 are not too bad. Allthough the AS students complained like c2 was the end of the world!

Theres a jump at a2, but i'd say less of a jump than from gcse. The new core syllabus will probably help as when i did as maths i had to learn two applied modules as well as all the pure material.

ReputationRep:
    Just bear in mind nutchopper that most of these people giving you advice not only do further maths but are some sort of maths geniuses. Or are extremely arrogant.
    While I appreciate it's important to see both sides of the story and we probably are biased I take exception to being labelled 'either a genius or arrogant' when i'm actually neither. Maths can sometimes be difficult if you're grappling with a new concept but that's what makes it interesting and hard work truly does pay off. If you're happy with the content when you go into the exam then you almost certainly have ensured yourself a good grade.

Best of luck to the original topic starter with your A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, well i have heard both sides of the story kno, but i am still up for a challenge and as i enjoy maths and a challenge i shpould be ok.
    Best of luck to the original topic starter with your A-Levels.
    Thanks! Good luck to you in your resuts too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    two years was hard enough for me....

i dislike this phrase...count me out of it...and of being a genius too - i'm a normal mathmo - but i wouldn't say mathmos are arrogant....more eccentric if anything, and being eccentric and classified as arrogant are two different things

ReputationRep:
    To be honest when you start doing A level maths it is quite hard but as soon as you do more and more questions everything seems to click together. We are lucky that people here are dedicated to helping others as that helps even more. I would reccommend doing Maths myself I have really enjoyed the last two years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnSPals)
    I did Maths and Further Maths, and expect to get a double A grade (certainly, I've got 702/800 for the eight modules I've sat so far excluding one resit). But I strongly disagree with most of us being arrogant. From what I've seen, many FM students have seemed happy to help others on here out to help them understand parts of the course, including myself. Some of us may be naturally good at maths, but I think that no-one will be immune from having to work hard to get the best grades!

Yes, A-level maths is one of the hardest A-leves there is, but it is also one of the most "do"-able A-levels. So long as you put the work in, you are far more likely to come out with a good grade than with other subjects. But that's why quite a few struggle - I've seen people do bugger-all all year and then wonder why they found their exams unfairly tough. Lots of A-level students don't seem to take their education seriously enough.
    :rofl: u tell them!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to you guys, please notice the word "or" before the "arrogant". Its fine to say its easy if you get nearly full marks. But it can come across as a little bit big headed.

It was just all the comments saying things along the lines of "its easy". I just thought it was worth saying that most people i know found a-level (not even further maths) pretty tough so i wanted the topic starter to get a more balanced opinion. Because to be honest this seems like a pretty biased audience to ask the question "how hard is it?" too.

Not that any of that is your fault, your giving your opinion but most of you seem to very good at maths. I think the topic starter should just be aware that it is a difficult a-level.

This isn't because i did badly last year or anything. I managed to get an A grade but i had to work really hard for it and at times i felt like i might have failed it. (getting U's in progress test's etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    Sorry to you guys, please notice the word "or" before the "arrogant". Its fine to say its easy if you get nearly full marks. But it can come across as a little bit big headed.

It was just all the comments saying things along the lines of "its easy". I just thought it was worth saying that most people i know found a-level (not even further maths) pretty tough so i wanted the topic starter to get a more balanced opinion. Because to be honest this seems like a pretty biased audience to ask the question "how hard is it?" too.

Not that any of that is your fault, your giving your opinion but most of you seem to very good at maths. I think the topic starter should just be aware that it is a difficult a-level.

This isn't because i did badly last year or anything. I managed to get an A grade but i had to work really hard for it and at times i felt like i might have failed it. (getting U's in progress test's etc).
    I see your point. Sorry if some of us seemed a little flippant as I suppose now that the hard work is over we're bound to look back positively without remembering that there are the occasional bumps along the road (p5 intrinsic coordinates anyone? )
    There's less of a jump from GCSE level now though so at least the AS won't be too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    :rofl: u tell them!
    ?

No need to be sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnSPals)
    ?

No need to be sarcastic.
    soz im not- i couldnt find an appropriate smiley!! i appreciated what you said.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how hard is As maths and i thought i would get it staright from people doing it. I will be doing the edexcel examboard, and i was wondering what people think about it. Im sorry if a thread like this has already been made, if it has can you please redirect me to it? Thanks
    I have just finished the 1st year of my GCSE courses and we have already started the C1 module for AS, and so far it is really easy, so don't worry, just enjoy it.
    But then I do have an amazing teacher!

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished the 1st year of my GCSE courses and we have already started the C1 module for AS, and so far it is really easy, so don't worry, just enjoy it.
    But then I do have an amazing teacher!
    You always get one complete looser!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thinktank)
    You always get one complete looser!
    that's so nice

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 6, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.