Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    to follow on from my very popular thread on the same topic...

ReputationRep:
    There has to be a line somewhere. Smoking in public just about crosses it for me

ReputationRep:
    in recent consultation here in northern ireland 91% supported a complete ban apparently. hopefully we get it.

(Original post by technik)
    in recent consultation here in northern ireland 91% supported a complete ban apparently. hopefully we get it.
    I don't know if you've been to the Republic since the ban was imposed there but it's made such a difference to people's lives. It is overwhelmingly successful and many smokers have been helped to abandon the deadly 'weed'.

I hope the people of NI do get it banned in totality!

ReputationRep:
    Whats the difference between "no ban at all" and a "partial ban" considering that most public services and spaces enforce no smoking policies?

ReputationRep:
    I'm undecided. On one hand, it could interfere with personal liberties, but on the other, people's lives are put at risk by public smoking. That is my dilemma. Thankfully, it is not one to which I am affected by, since no-one in my house smokes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Whats the difference between "no ban at all" and a "partial ban" considering that most public services and spaces enforce no smoking policies?
    NYC used to have a "partial ban"---it was banned in restaurants, except for the bar area, and there were various other restrictions. Another "partial ban" approach would be zoning, & giving out a limited number of "smoking licenses," so that any given region would have an adequate number of non-smoking pubs.

To me, these ideas still infringe on small proprietership (on private property, in fact), but they are preferable to a total ban.

Vienna and Iz the Wiz, have you both voted? The results so far would seem to indicate that you haven't. :confused: Unless of course, you have both been on a 'wind-up'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Vienna and Iz the Wiz, have you both voted? The results so far would seem to indicate that you haven't. :confused: Unless of course, you have both been on a 'wind-up'
    Im not voting until the options are made clear, which is why I asked the question two posts above.

Interesting to see that the forum is made up of statists, with all the talk of libertarianism apparently rather hollow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I don't know if you've been to the Republic since the ban was imposed there but it's made such a difference to people's lives. It is overwhelmingly successful and many smokers have been helped to abandon the deadly 'weed'.

I hope the people of NI do get it banned in totality!
    ive been to the republic twice, and unless absolutely necessary i dont plan to visit it again!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I voted "no ban at all." Although a partial ban would be better than a total ban.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    As an ex smoker I fully smoker a ban on public places such as restaurants, bars, etc. I also believe that if an establishment wishes to offer a smoking section, or indeed become fully smoke filled then they should make an application from it, and include in workers contracts that they will be working in a smoke filled environment which may affect their health.

I don't believe that smoking should be banned from public areas such as outside pubs, bus shelters, outside shops, and in the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    you answered it yourself but using the word "most".

in the event of a ban it would be "all".

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=BlackHawk]As an ex smoker I fully smoker a ban.../QUOTE]
    Freudian slip?

I voted for a partial ban, because that seems to best reflect the compromise we need to make between personal liberties and public health.

ReputationRep:
    you answered it yourself but using the word "most".

in the event of a ban it would be "all".
    There maybe legitimate reason. Id rather leave it up to local councils to decide what policy is best for them, but I believe in small government and personal freedom so, unfortunately, it looks like Ill be in the minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    As an ex smoker I fully smoker a ban on public places such as restaurants, bars, etc
    When did the state start owning your local restaurant?

ive been to the republic twice, and unless absolutely necessary i dont plan to visit it again!
    So you haven't experienced the benefits of a non-smoking ban? It might be worth it just to see for yourself - you just have to 'pop over' the border.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    So you haven't experienced the benefits of a non-smoking ban? It might be worth it just to see for yourself - you just have to 'pop over' the border.
    i prefer to stay to my own kind

There is a danger with half-measures of the legislation leading to ambiguity with subsequent 'dilution' of effectiveness.

This is why it is essential to have a total ban - no room for error or exploiting loopholes.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking should be slowly phased out, starting certainly with the workplace, then extending into other parts of the private sector.

The main objective, though, should be to make it unpopular using the media, rather than dishing out bans straight away.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.