Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished year 12, completing a-level maths and as-level physics and chemistry. Having hated chemistry for most of the year I jumped at the chance to give it up and have done so . However this has left gaping holes in my timetable with only 9 hours of a2 physics a fortnight and 9 hours of a-level further maths. So I was thinking of doing an additional as. Any ideas? I'm hoping top do a maths degree.

ReputationRep:
    Well isn't 3 A-levels enough really. If you wanted to do an extra AS though, just choose something you're interested in. You're much more likely to do well in that if its something you enjoy. I'm planning on doing maths at Uni too.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but I think it'll give me too muc free time. I don;t want it to be another "heavy" subject, and also don't want to have to do too much writing. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    yeah but I think it'll give me too muc free time. I don;t want it to be another "heavy" subject, and also don't want to have to do too much writing. Any ideas?
    There isn't really a "light" subject at A Level, though something like Politics, Sociology, Psychology or even RS are less heavy than the traditional ones.

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished year 12, completing a-level maths and as-level physics and chemistry. Having hated chemistry for most of the year I jumped at the chance to give it up and have done so . However this has left gaping holes in my timetable with only 9 hours of a2 physics a fortnight and 9 hours of a-level further maths. So I was thinking of doing an additional as. Any ideas? I'm hoping top do a maths degree.
    i have done the same subjects as you but i also did computing AS which was alot of fun why not try that, also i hated chemistry AS but i had to take it to A2 and in the end i really started to like it the organic in module 3 really makes sense after module 4 and module 5 does the same to module 2 and I began to like it more than physics, and i9 hope to do an engineering, open a thread about people thoughts on A2 chemistry see what othe people think but my opinion has been changed.

ReputationRep:
    Either enjoy the spare time, or just do something that you're really interested in and would enjoy. Perhaps an AS in business or economics? Not so much essay writing there and i can't see those subjects hindering your application. xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have about three and half hours each day (including lunchtimes) of free periods next year, because of my dropping Economics and my speeding up of further maths. I will be doing a lot of extra maths modules in these periods granted, but in the other time I will do something less pressurised to get good grades in, just learning it for the sake of learning it...not quite sure what that may be yet, could be folk/fairy tales as they catch my eye.

Of course, if you are doing maths, doing maths puzzles/ STEP questions in this free time would not go amiss

ReputationRep:
    The ISC published a report on the decline of more 'traditional' subjects such as Science and Maths being taken and proved that there was a 'noticable' .pc increase in those obtaining A at AS/A-Level. The report basically touches upon the notion that newer, more 'modern' subjects, namely: Sociology, Psychology, Media Studies and Business Studies are much less 'thorough', thus, easier than the more traditional subjects (Maths, Science, Latin etc).
    If you want to read more into this, the material can be found at: http://www.isc.co.uk/index.php/403

ReputationRep:
    you would think!... but I would have to say that I find Psychology harder than Chemistry or biology, for example, because there is just sooo much to need to learn, named theories/studies and you need to write essays with it as well which is more time consuming than a few questions on finding the pH of a solution!

ReputationRep:
    more to learn than chemistry... That must have been horrible!

Had thought of business, and economics, but economics isn;t run in school. Also thought about biology but wanted to do something a little different to the sciences. Perhaps French, Business or Sociology?

ReputationRep:
    additional further maths??? - if your school offers it - mine doesn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    The ISC published a report on the decline of more 'traditional' subjects such as Science and Maths being taken and proved that there was a 'noticable' .pc increase in those obtaining A at AS/A-Level. The report basically touches upon the notion that newer, more 'modern' subjects, namely: Sociology, Psychology, Media Studies and Business Studies are much less 'thorough', thus, easier than the more traditional subjects (Maths, Science, Latin etc).
    If you want to read more into this, the material can be found at: http://www.isc.co.uk/index.php/403
    Of course, it completely failed to take into account the idea that people might try harder at subjects they enjoy more, thus get better results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Of course, it completely failed to take into account the idea that people might try harder at subjects they enjoy more, thus get better results.
    That's not really grounds for a strong argument, I'm afraid. You can't be suggesting that a wide cross-section of people would try harder on certain subjects? Surely, if a student has enroled in college, it's because they want to be there, and continue education, thus they have a drive for learning. This leads to the outcome that most students would try their best in all their subjects, regardless of how much the student admired the subject; the motivation should be to get the best possible grades in every subject taken, to ensure a healthy future.

ReputationRep:

Had thought of business, and economics, but economics isn;t run in school. Also thought about biology but wanted to do something a little different to the sciences. Perhaps French, Business or Sociology?
    According to people i know there is a wide ability gap between French GCSE and AS, but if you're confident enough at giving it a go a language is always looked upon favourably. Doing something a bit more artsy will also show you're a well rounded person.

I did Sociology and absoloutely loved it, but it does involve quite a bit of essay writing, which you said you'd rather avoid. If you have any questions abou socio feel free to ask and i'll try and answer them. I don't know much about the other subjects though i'm afraid. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    I did Sociology and absoloutely loved it, but it does involve quite a bit of essay writing, which you said you'd rather avoid. If you have any questions abou socio feel free to ask and i'll try and answer them. I don't know much about the other subjects though i'm afraid. xx
    I might take Sociology for AS; my sister has just finished her A2 in it, so I've got help at hand if I need it, it also sounds like a really interesting subject.

ReputationRep:
    I would choose a subject that is in the arts or humanities to balance out the science and math subject. It's up to you really, just choose the course you are interested in. If you are still not sure, look at your GCSE subject results, and choose which subject you have a good grade on to do at A-level.

ReputationRep:

French and sociology both rock, especially French Sociology is almost entirely essay-based though, so if you don't like writing essays, avoid it like the plague! There are also a lot of sociologists, theories and dates to remember and things like analysing data, but it's a really interesting subject. As for French, the gap from GCSE to AS is huge, and I imagine it would be even worse if you haven't done it for a year, so if you're looking for a doss subject, don't take it. However, it is much more fun and really rewarding, as well as being a great subject in terms of impressing uni admissions tutors and employers. If you have any questions about either subject at AS, feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel about the chemistry :p:

A word of warning: some universities (and it's only the top ones who can afford to) have a policy that even if you take an A-level in Year 12 they still expect you to complete 3 in Year 13 (even though you can use your Year 12 grade, as it's likely to be your strongest subject) just to keep yourself focussed and working.

Were there any subjects you considered doing at AS last year but couldn't fit into your timetable? If you hated English and History I wouldn't advise taking on Psych or Socio as even if they're considered as easy then your strengths clearly don't lie there and you might be better off taking the last science, Bio.

Alternatively, if you're doing Maths + Mech then you can actually do a Statistics A-level all of its own..

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Economics... although I have a friend at Imperial doing maths who did phsychology as a contrasting and enjoyed it... maybe something mathy like econ? or any subs that you enjoyed at GCSE that you haven't taken on?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.