Turn on thread page Beta

The Truth About Homosexuality: Part 1 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darknessishope)
    again you're still stereotyping by presuming that homosexuals fear society.

caz you're a psychologist, you should know labelling theory by now. To say that we shouldn't give ourselves a sexual label (I know you didn't say that completely, that we are always changing but you implied it. If I am wrong please say) is impossible because we have to give ourselves labels to become part of a group. Social Interaction Theory helps explain this more.

I actually think you know a lot about this subject, or I would have stopped this argument a while ago.

Actually that's wrong. We view things through stereotypes, and labelling theory plays a big part in this too. Also as I said before freud said we have 3 different parts to our internal working model, so you're also missing the superego and the ID.

For this I apologise, I hadn't realised I was putting words in your mouth and am sorry if I have. You did say though homosexuals usually turned out to be liars and fearing society, I was just wanting evidence to back up your claim.

I'm sorry I hadn't realised I said about my genitals playing a part in my sexuality.When did I say this?
    Yes, labels are important, but when the EGO holds onto them this is unhealthy--when you hold onto homosexuality, this is unhealthy. This is the EGO presenting a lie. Labels are important, but not truth. Just current. Labels differ from fact. You keep arguing homosexuals as being homosexual, I'm arguing it's a condition...not a truth. Sexuality does not need a label, which you seem to be suggesting it does for social interaction...LOL

Anyway, I never said all homosexuals fear society. Reread my post, you even quoted it a while back. I didn't say all homosexuals fear this. I believe there are different degrees of homosexuality, which can be caused by different conditions; both unhealthy EGOs. You will always be homosexual if you do not pursue bisexuality and achieve it; therefore it is really a choice.

Anyway, I'm not really arguing against you most of the time as you seem to keep thinking I am...you seem to be the one arguing, really. I'm trying to discuss the topic. Sorry for the confusion. I do believe society plays a role; but you cannot blame society, you blame yourself. Society does not control you...you know? But sexual preference is a series of choices, not necessarily a conscious choice. An unconscious condition of the EGO. When you find something disgusting, this is your choice, or belief, which can be overcome at any time. The concept of beliefs is that they exist, but are not conscious thoughts or choices. They are your chosen beliefs, but they STICK. They hold, and can be changed.

This is why it is important to constantly review a "norm" if you're seeking acceptance. Most homosexuals are seeking acceptance (I'd say all of them, but then again you'd call me a stereotyper, so I'll just exclude the view who don't want to be accepted lol), and pointing out the prejudice of people who do not accept it, when in fact, they're really rejecting other people's opinions. If you wanted to be accepted, you would let go over your EGO, because your EGO is not you, in reality, you simply are, your EGO is the personality you hold onto out of fear (everyone does this, so don't call me stereotyping against homosexuals). If you're homosexual, your EGO is not the "norm", as you're trying to say because you are homosexual, you are normal. The truth is normal is a view of society, so if you want to consider normal, don't consider it through your own EGO, consider it through society and truth. Majority, also, mainly. So if you want to be accepted, let go of your EGO, which is not you (if you do believe YOU are the ego, then don't even respond you obviously completely disagree, although I could seriously beg to differ), and you may be able to pursue a more "normal" lifestyle.

If you ask me, I don't care about normal, so I don't even both arguing with me, I'm just giving answers to those you do worship the much overrated and false "normal", which is simply the majority acceptance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    Yes, labels are important, but when the EGO holds onto them this is unhealthy--when you hold onto homosexuality, this is unhealthy. This is the EGO presenting a lie. Labels are important, but not truth. Just current. Labels differ from fact. You keep arguing homosexuals as being homosexual, I'm arguing it's a condition...not a truth. Sexuality does not need a label, which you seem to be suggesting it does for social interaction...LOL
    The word 'duh' comes to mind, have you not learnt about self fulfilling prophercies, social interaction etc. These clearly show that labels are a big factor in how we behave especially towards social interaction. We use it to make groups and compare ourselves to which group. We become part of a group for things like resources.

(Original post by caz)
    Anyway, I never said all homosexuals fear society. Reread my post, you even quoted it a while back. I didn't say all homosexuals fear this. I believe there are different degrees of homosexuality, which can be caused by different conditions; both unhealthy EGOs. You will always be homosexual if you do not pursue bisexuality and achieve it; therefore it is really a choice.
    I'm sorry but you actually did say that. I can even quote it:

(Original post by caz)
    People who often lie a lot are homosexual. They develop a fear or hatred of other people/society
    also you keep going on about EGOs but you keep forgetting the superego and the ID, which are all equally as important.

(Original post by caz)
    Anyway, I'm not really arguing against you most of the time as you seem to keep thinking I am...you seem to be the one arguing, really. I'm trying to discuss the topic. Sorry for the confusion. I do believe society plays a role; but you cannot blame society, you blame yourself. Society does not control you...you know? But sexual preference is a series of choices, not necessarily a conscious choice. An unconscious condition of the EGO. When you find something disgusting, this is your choice, or belief, which can be overcome at any time. The concept of beliefs is that they exist, but are not conscious thoughts or choices. They are your chosen beliefs, but they STICK. They hold, and can be changed.
    blame society for what? me being gay? I don't feel it as a burden so have no need to place blame on something. Also you could make the argument that society does control you, but that is more philosophical and if we start we will be here for a while.

(Original post by caz)
    This is why it is important to constantly review a "norm" if you're seeking acceptance. Most homosexuals are seeking acceptance (I'd say all of them, but then again you'd call me a stereotyper, so I'll just exclude the view who don't want to be accepted lol), and pointing out the prejudice of people who do not accept it, when in fact, they're really rejecting other people's opinions. If you wanted to be accepted, you would let go over your EGO, because your EGO is not you, in reality, you simply are, your EGO is the personality you hold onto out of fear (everyone does this, so don't call me stereotyping against homosexuals). If you're homosexual, your EGO is not the "norm", as you're trying to say because you are homosexual, you are normal. The truth is normal is a view of society, so if you want to consider normal, don't consider it through your own EGO, consider it through society and truth. Majority, also, mainly. So if you want to be accepted, let go of your EGO, which is not you (if you do believe YOU are the ego, then don't even respond you obviously completely disagree, although I could seriously beg to differ), and you may be able to pursue a more "normal" lifestyle.
    I didn't say being a stereotyper was a bad thing, I feel it's very important for the psychological development of a person. Also what is your definition of an EGO, it's just I think the confusion is that you are thinking that the ego is a person internal working model, which is different then freuds theory on ego, superego and ID. Also I feel I am already accepted, as I said before when people knew I was gay many didn't mind.

ReputationRep:
    The word 'duh' comes to mind, have you not learnt about self fulfilling prophercies, social interaction etc. These clearly show that labels are a big factor in how we behave especially towards social interaction. We use it to make groups and compare ourselves to which group. We become part of a group for things like resources.

I'm sorry but you actually did say that. I can even quote it:

also you keep going on about EGOs but you keep forgetting the superego and the ID, which are all equally as important.

blame society for what? me being gay? I don't feel it as a burden so have no need to place blame on something. Also you could make the argument that society does control you, but that is more philosophical and if we start we will be here for a while.

I didn't say being a stereotyper was a bad thing, I feel it's very important for the psychological development of a person. Also what is your definition of an EGO, it's just I think the confusion is that you are thinking that the ego is a person internal working model, which is different then freuds theory on ego, superego and ID. Also I feel I am already accepted, as I said before when people knew I was gay many didn't mind.
    I said "often lie a lot", which if anything was basically saying liars are homosexual, rather than homosexuals liars. Either way, I said often meaning people who find the need to lie are, often times, homosexual. Not "all this is this" -- come on, stop being stupid, I'd assume you have common sense. Especially when talking about Freud, I'd think you can figure out that there's very few people who actually think all people that are this, are also that. You're just pointing fingers at an obvious misunderstanding, which you showed no attempt as using common sense to, as a means of saying I'm wrong. Give me a break

And, anyway, the EGO is the acquired mental state of social survival. The EGO is a huge lie of adaptation, I don't see why you keep talking about Freud and things that I am not saying. If there is something I am not saying, THEN SAY IT FOR GOD'S SAKE. Seriously, I don't understand why you feel the need to argue or question my knowledge. If there's something to say, THEN SAY IT.

Honestly, this thread was not started by you, therefore I am arguing for the sake of the topic, not for the sake of your agreement. Speak the hell up, because so far it seems the only thing you resort to is putting words in my mouth, showing lack of common sense and decency, and then throwing around a bunch of crap about "Provide proof! You're wrong! How do you know? You can't say that!" I am talking about the psychology of sexuality, and for some reason you seem to keep making this personal for some reason which is beyond my explanation. You're gay, okay, we get that. You do not speak for all gays, we do not speak for all gays. Let your life be yours.

I am discussing the psychology behind the sexuality, while you seem to keep arguing otherwise, asking for this and that, and, really, showing no basis of fact behind your ideas. The only thing so far that you've said which I think shows any form of being constructive was saying socialization or whatever plays a role in the preference.

Other than that you keep arguing against things for no apparent reason, and I'm tired of responding with my explanations. You have a brain, use it. I'm not gonna do all the thinking if you wanna discuss, personally, with me, because as you can see, I get bored very easily with defensive drones.

Don't ask me to provide proof to your disagreement, go look it up yourself. I'm not the one challenging you, you're challenging me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    I said "often lie a lot", which if anything was basically saying liars are homosexual, rather than homosexuals liars. Either way, I said often meaning people who find the need to lie are, often times, homosexual. Not "all this is this" -- come on, stop being stupid, I'd assume you have common sense. Especially when talking about Freud, I'd think you can figure out that there's very few people who actually think all people that are this, are also that. You're just pointing fingers at an obvious misunderstanding, which you showed no attempt as using common sense to, as a means of saying I'm wrong. Give me a break

And, anyway, the EGO is the acquired mental state of social survival. The EGO is a huge lie of adaptation, I don't see why you keep talking about Freud and things that I am not saying. If there is something I am not saying, THEN SAY IT FOR GOD'S SAKE. Seriously, I don't understand why you feel the need to argue or question my knowledge. If there's something to say, THEN SAY IT.

Honestly, this thread was not started by you, therefore I am arguing for the sake of the topic, not for the sake of your agreement. Speak the hell up, because so far it seems the only thing you resort to is putting words in my mouth, showing lack of common sense and decency, and then throwing around a bunch of crap about "Provide proof! You're wrong! How do you know? You can't say that!" I am talking about the psychology of sexuality, and for some reason you seem to keep making this personal for some reason which is beyond my explanation. You're gay, okay, we get that. You do not speak for all gays, we do not speak for all gays. Let your life be yours.

I am discussing the psychology behind the sexuality, while you seem to keep arguing otherwise, asking for this and that, and, really, showing no basis of fact behind your ideas. The only thing so far that you've said which I think shows any form of being constructive was saying socialization or whatever plays a role in the preference.

Other than that you keep arguing against things for no apparent reason, and I'm tired of responding with my explanations. You have a brain, use it. I'm not gonna do all the thinking if you wanna discuss, personally, with me, because as you can see, I get bored very easily with defensive drones.

Don't ask me to provide proof to your disagreement, go look it up yourself. I'm not the one challenging you, you're challenging me.
    I'm saying if you wish to make a claim like the ones you have claimed (e.g. MOST liars being homosexuals) you should provide evidence as it is pretty offensive, no matter how much you say you don't judge people.

You keep talking about EGO, I talk about freud since ego was HIS theory. If you don't know about it then I suggest you stop trying to use it to back up your claim, since it can lead to confusion like this.

I don't claim to speak for all gays, I am speaking for myself. I make it personal because it is a personal topic for me, otherwise I would have stopped arguing a while ago. Also if you get bored very easily with defensive drones then why keep replying? obviously you must have some interest if you keep feeling you have to reply.

If you feel the only way you can reply to my replies from now on is to resort to petty insults instead of providing what I ask for then I suggest we just stop it right here, since frankly I can't see it going on without this just becoming a thread of insults which would just be pointless.

I am also arguing about the psychology of sexuality, which is why I keep bringing in theories from other psychology to help explain my reasoning and to help back up my claims. You have yet to do this. I ask for evidence because I honestly believe that you don't know what you are talking about. This isn't to all your points, mainly about the information with the EGO.

If you don't want to carry on with this discussion then please say so and I'll stop, I can't think of anyway of making myself clearer then this.

ReputationRep:
    homosexuality 'can' be 'theorised' as being pro evolution, yet it would fall into the same catgory as trying to explain altruism as pro evolution, very complicated. And the fact that it 'can' be explained in terms of evolution doesnt mean that it is true.

if anyone is interested i shall give my incredibly shabby theory on sexuality being a result of evolution, and being pro-species, bearing in mind that i know little about homosexuality or evolution and my ideas are based on nothing but some good weed and reading this thread.

firstly i would like to know how people see homosexuality in terms of evolution, before i embarress myself with my own.

i would also like to add that to talk about homosexuality you need to veiw it from a COMPLETELY objective position, as you would have to do with peodaphilia, temporarily freeing yourself from 'accepted' ideas, social influences and most importantly your own 'opinion' on it. I think it is blind to discard something by default just because it may be offensive, or the fact that the act itself may be veiwed by society as wrong (as homosexuality once was) though on the other hand im sure there is much about our minds that we are better off not knowing. For example many ideas about the differences between males and females are very politically incorrect, and are best left alone, but that doesnt make them wrong does it? blah, rambling now, i think there is a point in there somewhere, and yeah i suck at exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy)
    homosexuality 'can' be 'theorised' as being pro evolution, yet it would fall into the same catgory as trying to explain altruism as pro evolution, very complicated. And the fact that it 'can' be explained in terms of evolution doesnt mean that it is true.

if anyone is interested i shall give my incredibly shabby theory on sexuality being a result of evolution, and being pro-species, bearing in mind that i know little about homosexuality or evolution and my ideas are based on nothing but some good weed and reading this thread.

firstly i would like to know how people see homosexuality in terms of evolution, before i embarress myself with my own.

i would also like to add that to talk about homosexuality you need to veiw it from a COMPLETELY objective position, as you would have to do with peodaphilia, temporarily freeing yourself from 'accepted' ideas, social influences and most importantly your own 'opinion' on it. I think it is blind to discard something by default just because it may be offensive, or the fact that the act itself may be veiwed by society as wrong (as homosexuality once was) though on the other hand im sure there is much about our minds that we are better off not knowing. For example many ideas about the differences between males and females are very politically incorrect, and are best left alone, but that doesnt make them wrong does it? blah, rambling now, i think there is a point in there somewhere, and yeah i suck at exams
    lol, most the points I get in my exams is through rambling and the fear instilled during the exams. It is a very useful skill ^_^

If you have a theory please tell us, I mean you can't do any worse then us ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying if you wish to make a claim like the ones you have claimed (e.g. MOST liars being homosexuals) you should provide evidence as it is pretty offensive, no matter how much you say you don't judge people.

You keep talking about EGO, I talk about freud since ego was HIS theory. If you don't know about it then I suggest you stop trying to use it to back up your claim, since it can lead to confusion like this.

I don't claim to speak for all gays, I am speaking for myself. I make it personal because it is a personal topic for me, otherwise I would have stopped arguing a while ago. Also if you get bored very easily with defensive drones then why keep replying? obviously you must have some interest if you keep feeling you have to reply.

If you feel the only way you can reply to my replies from now on is to resort to petty insults instead of providing what I ask for then I suggest we just stop it right here, since frankly I can't see it going on without this just becoming a thread of insults which would just be pointless.

I am also arguing about the psychology of sexuality, which is why I keep bringing in theories from other psychology to help explain my reasoning and to help back up my claims. You have yet to do this. I ask for evidence because I honestly believe that you don't know what you are talking about. This isn't to all your points, mainly about the information with the EGO.

If you don't want to carry on with this discussion then please say so and I'll stop, I can't think of anyway of making myself clearer then this.
    I don't have all the answers, I reply because I feel like talking. But when you challenge everything, and you don't attempt to provide any of your own knowledge, it does get annoying.

Why am I replying? I don't know, just I don't know why you are. I get bored with defensive drones because they seek to prove something without realizing opinions are opinions. If you doubt me, look it up. I'm not doubting you, just trying to give my explanations on the topic at hand.

I realize you take this offensively, because you are gay, and this is an issue you have with yourself, but like I said, I am here for discussion, so try to discuss, and not doubt. Doubt annoys me.

I am not perfect, I doubt, I often challenge without giving ideas, but life is a lesson. You learn to stop your own annoying habits through experience...I am annoying at times, yes, but that doesn't mean I should shut up. I get annoyed, yes, but that doesn't mean you should or I should shut up.

Discuss, come on now. You have opinions, present them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    I don't have all the answers, I reply because I feel like talking. But when you challenge everything, and you don't attempt to provide any of your own knowledge, it does get annoying.

Why am I replying? I don't know, just I don't know why you are. I get bored with defensive drones because they seek to prove something without realizing opinions are opinions. If you doubt me, look it up. I'm not doubting you, just trying to give my explanations on the topic at hand.

I realize you take this offensively, because you are gay, and this is an issue you have with yourself, but like I said, I am here for discussion, so try to discuss, and not doubt. Doubt annoys me.

I am not perfect, I doubt, I often challenge without giving ideas, but life is a lesson. You learn to stop your own annoying habits through experience...I am annoying at times, yes, but that doesn't mean I should shut up. I get annoyed, yes, but that doesn't mean you should or I should shut up.

Discuss, come on now. You have opinions, present them.
    I've given you my opinions and to tell you the truth I'm tired. I'll come back tomorrow and will probably add some more then but sorry I have to sleep

ReputationRep:
    I've given you my opinions and to tell you the truth I'm tired. I'll come back tomorrow and will probably add some more then but sorry I have to sleep

ReputationRep:
    well, after a rethink i have realised that my 2 second throwntogether theory based on sfa could be seen as quite offensive, as is pretty much anything to do with evolutionary theory where humans are concerned, not that it is meant to be offensive. err, im gonna leave it anyway

anyway i will say this, when you talk about science or psychology (with exceptions) you have either got to look at the individual, or the species in general (in which case things can get very offensive, look at skitzophrenia and the stigma attatched to that because of well intended research into it) funnily enough skitzophrenea can also be seen as pro evolution, but i degress, i think progress in such things could only be made if there wasnt the liability of small minded people taking information and turning it into insults or weapons against a group, when everyone is nice to eachother and hugs trees and stuff then i guess it would be perfectly ok to be offensive and un ethical, err if you catch my drift.

and yes after that i fear my exam dates even more

ReputationRep:
    Right - I can't be bothered to read the whole of this thread and this point might have already been made, but if the main argument against homosexuality is that it serves no purpose in terms of reproduction then surely every sexual practice which does not lead directly to reproduction is also 'wrong'? Perhaps oral sex should be banned? And how about banning all forms of contraception, as they actively prevent reproduction? For that matter what is the point of kissing? This is a really stupid, bigotted argument and some people clearly need to grow up and acquire a sense o perspective :mad:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    while i am pro gay, (yet in the least possible gay way just so there are no misunderstandings) maybe it would be better to call myself anti hate/opression/fascism/stereotyping/persecution/bigotry/prejudice etc... somewhat of an idealist, yet i understand the need for some objectivism when dealing with sensitive subjects such as sexuality, and i mean complete objectivity, fogetting society completely, from natures point of veiw there is nothing wrong with raping your mother and killing everyone who looks at you, in fact in terms of nature there is no such thing as right or wrong, which means explaining certain aspects of nature 'can' be offensive to some people, when such ideas which are not bound by our moral rules of right and wrong become applied to our society. so either we should not try to 'explain' homosexuality untill we as a species are civilised enough to accept some things which may become apparent, and to deal with the repecussions of such knowledge.

It may sound as if im hinting at something being wrong with homosexuality if looked at from a social point of veiw but im not, i am saying such problems if any are created by society, therefore we are not ready for the truth. If homosexuality was accepted completely and there was no hate it, then i doubt there would be a problem discussing it without restraint, yet that is not the case, so restraint must be used... ''ALL I AM SAYING'' is that what we 'know' about homosexuality (but more importantly sexuality)can only be derived from personal experience, and that it would take a setting where homosexuality was not set aside from the norm, that it could be investigated without ethical problems. Psychology so far seems to have had a crippling effect on peoples ideas of homosexuality, at one time defining it as a mental disorder, and psychologists resorting to all sorts of ways of 'curing' it. more recently it has gotten better, i think it has been softened down to a deviation (?) if psychology explained sexual orientation as being just that, an orientation and not as someone said binary, then people would in fact begin to realise that we are in fact all the same, homo or hetro, just as we are the same as if we like red or we like blue, its just that society doesnt label us as blueies and say that we have a mental disorder. The point im trying to get at is if there hadnt been such enphesis on the importance of someones sexuality, in such extremes that people became labelled and in many cases set aside from mainstream society, and in some cases persecuted, then someone being called 'fag' would a) not happen very often b) cause the person that said it to be thought of as weird, due to no popular social distinction between himself and the recipiant c) the recipient of the insult would not find it offensive, due to lack of importance (if you would disagree with this anyone, how offended would you be if someone took the piss because you liked the colour red?)

we are not nearly as civilised as we would like to believe, the romans and greeks were a much more advanced civilisation in themselves than the world is now (comparitively speaking, eg technologically compared with the genreal technologican and scientific standard of the rest of the world, and morally they were more in line with their own moral standards, we have much higher moral standards but we as a world seem to stand very far away from them,) homosexuality was accepted in both cultures.

sorry for rambing as usual

ReputationRep:
    hm...I remember when I first started psychology we were talking about mental disorders. There are these psychologist in America who have made a theory that love is a mental disorder because it takes away the basic instinct in us to protect ourselves because when we are in love we wish to protect others. That didn't really have any relevance to this thread I know but reading it just reminded me of this <shrugs>

ReputationRep:
    Well, it has been very interesting to see some of the arguments raised, I myself agree with the psychological-scientific POV, though I am aware that many of you find this theory quite irrelevant.

Also I think one person asked as to whether there would be a Part 2. Well there is a part 2 but it is from a religious persepctive, again it is a quote from a textbook, but I am unsure as to whether I should people would want me to put it up!

ReputationRep:
    hm...I remember when I first started psychology we were talking about mental disorders. There are these psychologist in America who have made a theory that love is a mental disorder because it takes away the basic instinct in us to protect ourselves because when we are in love we wish to protect others. That didn't really have any relevance to this thread I know but reading it just reminded me of this <shrugs>
    Love probably is a mental disorder, but love can be defined in different ways, so which one they're talking about, I don't know

ReputationRep:
    All this Freudian **** you are spouting Caz is crap. It criticised by the majority of psychologists - its not 'fact' as u say it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    Love probably is a mental disorder, but love can be defined in different ways, so which one they're talking about, I don't know
    lol exactly, unfortunatly it's kinda hard to call something a disorder when there is no real clear definition on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    All this Freudian **** you are spouting Caz is crap. It criticised by the majority of psychologists - its not 'fact' as u say it is.
    You have to remember though that at the time Freud was having to create theories to help people take him seriously. Some of his original theories were dismissed by the psychological community, He wasn't really that popular either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albion)
    My first thought is that you posting this is probably going to do harm in terms of creating tolerance and acceptance. Homosexuality exists, why does it matter if it is "legitimate" or not? It doesn't hurt anyone so just let people get on with it and they'll let you get on with your life. What's the point in starting something like this?

You appear to be basically arguing that homosexuality isn't right since as species we are designed to reproduce and they "cannot reproduce their own offspring" well what about a hetrosexual couple who have a child who turns out to be gay? Surely that has happened loads of times, does that mean any hetrosexual people with the potential to have a gay child (which is potentially all of us until we find out what exactly causes someone to be hetrosexual, bisexual or homosexual) are "illegitimate" as well?

Also you seem to have forgotten that homosexuals are not unable to reproduce, they simply choose not to. A gay man could reproduce with a woman, he just has no interest in it, but of course its possible. Is a hetrosexual person who chooses not to have kids also "illegitimate" as a human being?

exactly

but i think mad caddie MIGHT be gay maybe he is just insecure about it ....

If homosexuals cannot reproduce their own offspring how are they still around?!?!

This has to be the stupidest post ever. Why post something like this unless you want to stir up anti-gay feelings? Your argument is pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    something being criticised by 'the majority of psychologists' does not make it wrong, seeing as the majority of conventional psychology is just half theories and compromises because we cant yet comprehend some brain functions, cognitive psychology for example is probably the most usefull and accurate feild of psychology at the moment, or not but it ranks pretty high, but what these precise forms of psychology fail to do is explain things so we can understand them, freud said many things that were probably crap, but he said many other things that are probably very valuable, just incomplete, or slightly innacurate. Psychoanalisis is the only form of psychology which can explain thoughts, behaviour and feelings so that we can 'understand' them. Psychology compared to physics for example is very new, and there are so many different approaches which generally agree on things (if you look closely enough) but the fact that they explain things differently, or approach them on a different level means that they disagree. If we could map out the brain, and explain entire thought proccesses with physiology then physiology could explain things on the level that psychoanalisis does, but it cant so different things must have their own approach. good god that made very little sense, i hope a least a few people have the slightest idea what im rambling about

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.