Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by two_headed_monk)
    i was thinking the other night.. homosexuality is classified by sexual preferance, but dont you think that it is possible to have a gay man who isnt attracted to men?
    Definitely, its all psychological after all isn't it.
    My biology teacher was saying, if we really wanted to, say me for example, if I really wanted to convince myself I was gay I could, its all just a matter of manipulating the brain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Definitely, its all psychological after all isn't it.
    My biology teacher was saying, if we really wanted to, say me for example, if I really wanted to convince myself I was gay I could, its all just a matter of manipulating the brain.
    you reckon that you can manipulate your own brain.... but isnt that you... you are your brain, so how can you manipulate yourself? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    you reckon that you can manipulate your own brain.... but isnt that you... you are your brain, so how can you manipulate yourself? :confused:
    OK, take the example of food.
    The majority of the time people say they are hungry when they are not actually hungry and can survive perfectly well without food for several more hours. The brain however has been convinced by the person that they are hungry and so the person will go and eat.
    This is actualyl being investigated in the US at the moment, given the rising amount of obesity.

ReputationRep:
    OK, take the example of food.
    The majority of the time people say they are hungry when they are not actually hungry and can survive perfectly well without food for several more hours. The brain however has been convinced by the person that they are hungry and so the person will go and eat.
    This is actualyl being investigated in the US at the moment, given the rising amount of obesity.
    youre talking about eating disorders... thats got to do with psychological scarring and using food as a comfort. and if its being investigated by the us, well never know for sure.....
    but i thought that you felt hungry not because you are clse to death and need somethign to eat now!!! but hunger means that your body has started to use its reserve amounts of energy. like your fatty stores... is that right?

ReputationRep:
    youre talking about eating disorders... thats got to do with psychological scarring and using food as a comfort. and if its being investigated by the us, well never know for sure.....
    but i thought that you felt hungry not because you are clse to death and need somethign to eat now!!! but hunger means that your body has started to use its reserve amounts of energy. like your fatty stores... is that right?
    Yeah, thats right because there becomes a hormone imbalance which triggers the brain which tells you to eat.
    There is also a significant amount of psychological input into the whole process.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thats right because there becomes a hormone imbalance which triggers the brain which tells you to eat.
    There is also a significant amount of psychological input into the whole process.
    yeah, like the whole chewing gum makes you hungrier thing...

ReputationRep:
    yeah, like the whole chewing gum makes you hungrier thing...
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly.
    bling. wow, im not a complete fool.... i feel warm and gooey.

ReputationRep:
    whoops i said bling... sorry....

ReputationRep:
    whoops i said bling... sorry....
    hehehe...no worries.

ReputationRep:
    Where you go wrong is when you think that there is a conscious intent behind the way human beings are constructed. Sex only exists because it is an effective way of juggling the genes. Homosexuality may have some other, as yet undiscovered, evolutional function.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    Where you go wrong is when you think that there is a conscious intent behind the way human beings are constructed. Sex only exists because it is an effective way of juggling the genes. Homosexuality may have some other, as yet undiscovered, evolutional function.
    oo, i know what it is!!!! you see, do you agree that one day, it should be possible for two men to have a baby without the aid of a woman? only using thier genes for it... wouldnt that mean that in order to 'juggle' our genes, we dont need a partner of the opposite sex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    How do you mean "juggling the genes"?
    Surely sex exist to continue the breeding process for survival?

ReputationRep:
    oo, i know what it is!!!! you see, do you agree that one day, it should be possible for two men to have a baby without the aid of a woman? only using thier genes for it... wouldnt that mean that in order to 'juggle' our genes, we dont need a partner of the opposite sex?
    That would never happen!!! Ever!!! It is biologically impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    How do you mean "juggling the genes"?
    Surely sex exist to continue the breeding process for survival?
    You could easily have reproduction and survival without sex. Sex however, allows two people with different genes to mix their genes. In this way, all possible combinations of genes emerge, accelerating the process of evolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    why not? im sure that it could.
    all sex does is combine 1/2 your fatehrs gnees with 1/2 your mothers genes. the only reason that insest dosent wrk is cos you get a copy of the same genes. if you took two halves from two men from different families, couldnt you do it then?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you could theoretically mix the genes of two people of the same sex to make a baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    and the only impossible thing, my friend is for something to be impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    Why is it impossible? There is no difference between the genes of a man, and the genes of a woman.

ReputationRep:
    why not? im sure that it could.
    all sex does is combine 1/2 your fatehrs gnees with 1/2 your mothers genes. the only reason that insest dosent wrk is cos you get a copy of the same genes. if you took two halves from two men from different families, couldnt you do it then?
    No because its all to do with the chromosomes.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.