Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    I am fully aware that you did not say "things [should] just happen". As you were so quick to critisise my use of the English language, I assume you would know that when a word is entered into a quote in square brackets, it is a word not in the original quote which is added to make the quote more cohesive, something which obviously surpassed you.
    In this case it gave the quotation an different meaning. It implied I meant should as an imperative, when I actually used it to offer an alternative explanation to your "design"
    Also, I am still un-sure of how your argument is logiical. If in terms of evolution things should change and be adapted, I still fail to see how homosexuality is an adaption of the sexuality of humans. Evolution occurs to remove defects and enable survival of the humans so they can continue breeding and producing offspring, surely homosexuality inhibits this?
    Evolution, insofar as it has a purpose at all, ensures that genes are handed down. All creatures which reproduce sexually have half of their genes in common with a sibling, a quarter with a sibling's children etc. Behaviour which may help these to survive is evolutionarily beneficial to the genes concerned. It doesn't matter whether the genes descend directly or indirectly.A classic example is social insects: workers are sterile females which cannot reproduce, but they ensure that the many children of their fertile sisters do survive and so their own genes are passed on. There is, as several people pointed out, the fact that a more accurate term is homosexual behaviour, rather than homosexuality. The same people can engage in homosexual behaviour sometimes and heterosexual behaviour at others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    In this case it gave the quotation an different meaning. It implied I meant should as an imperative, when I actually used it to offer an alternative explanation to your "design"Evolution, insofar as it has a purpose at all, ensures that genes are handed down. All creatures which reproduce sexually have half of their genes in common with a sibling, a quarter with a sibling's children etc. Behaviour which may help these to survive is evolutionarily beneficial to the genes concerned. It doesn't matter whether the genes descend directly or indirectly.A classic example is social insects: workers are sterile females which cannot reproduce, but they ensure that the many children of their fertile sisters do survive and so their own genes are passed on. There is, as several people pointed out, the fact that a more accurate term is homosexual behaviour, rather than homosexuality. The same people can engage in homosexual behaviour sometimes and heterosexual behaviour at others.
    Evolution HAS NOT been mainly to adapt and survive in the changing environment of the Earth, not simply to ensure genes are handed down, this is only a secondaryif not tertiary reason.

So by saying people can engage in homosexual behaviour sometimes and heterosexual behaviour at others this means you are suggesting that no-one is truly homosexual, and then surely this implies they are heterosexual, and in turn that they can only reproduce heterosexually?

Your argument is continually changing. Also, before you reply, check your definition of evolution from a biology text book, because the current one is incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    I am not even gonna bother to post an argument here as other have already made the essential points.

The reason I post this message anyways is marely to express my support for tolerance and human rights. I am not homosexual, but I lost half my relatives in auschwitz due to prejustice and intolerance similar to what builds the foundation of homofobia.

Jonatan Ring
    its spelt homophobia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    Men have XY chromosomes and women have XX. That is a very big difference. Also, you cannot fertilise a sperm with a sperm or an ovum with an ovum.
    yes. how could anyone possibly state that both men and women have exactly the same genes? if they did they would look exactly the same, with no physical differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    This is the real truth about homosexuality.

http://www.theonion.com/onion3604/why_do_all_these.html
    What the hell? How the hell did this man manage to get men sucking his **** "before he even noticed it"???!?

ReputationRep:
    Even the guy catering his wedding??!?!?!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It is a spoof.
    And people think I show a lack of internet savvy for posting my phone number on site :rolleyes:

theonion is a very famous online newspaper spoof
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I would have thought it was obvious from the article itself without knowing about the onion. Mind you, I once showed this http://www.theonion.com/onion3745/ba...bin_laden.html to some people who were convinced it was real.
    It took a long time after I posted this link http://www.thinkofthechildren.co.uk/ before people realised it wasn't deadly serious :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It is a spoof.
    lol....now i feel stupid...

ReputationRep:
    Evolution HAS NOT been mainly to adapt and survive in the changing environment of the Earth, not simply to ensure genes are handed down, this is only a secondaryif not tertiary reason.

So by saying people can engage in homosexual behaviour sometimes and heterosexual behaviour at others this means you are suggesting that no-one is truly homosexual, and then surely this implies they are heterosexual, and in turn that they can only reproduce heterosexually?

Your argument is continually changing. Also, before you reply, check your definition of evolution from a biology text book, because the current one is incorrect.
    I´m going a step further...

No one is completely heterosexual! Or how do you explain that in pure male societies (prison etc) the number of homosexuals rises tremendously?

Anyway, we are not in the stone age any more and your whole evolution argument is quite dumb in times of world wide overpopulation.

ReputationRep:
    Ive finally realised the answer to so many peoples questions about the legitimacy of homosexuality.
    The answers is as follows from a philosophical-science point of view.

" If homosexuality was meant to be a human form of sexuality then how is it explained that homosexuals cannot reproduce their own offspring. The human body is designed for coupling of male and female, and therefore this illegitamises homosexuality."

Discuss.
    umm, are you trolling?

if not, what about opposite sex couples who cannot reproduce because of genetic infertility. should we ban them too?
    the human body is also designed (originally) to live in a tree, and later, to walk about on the safari as a hunter gatherer- does that "illegitimise" those who farm or live in cities. in that case, the majority of the world's population is illegitimate.

ReputationRep:
    Ive finally realised the answer to so many peoples questions about the legitimacy of homosexuality.
    The answers is as follows from a philosophical-science point of view.

" If homosexuality was meant to be a human form of sexuality then how is it explained that homosexuals cannot reproduce their own offspring. The human body is designed for coupling of male and female, and therefore this illegitamises homosexuality."

Discuss.
    God you are slow if you have only just come to recognise that as an argument against homosexuality...indeed, it is a well established one, particulary for those with a religious belief/opinion

How do you explain why the psychological makeup of an individual allows for homosexuality...surely if it were in humanty's best interests of reproducing, then no human would have been able to even consider homosexuality....I think the debate goes beyond physiology of each gender

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    The chromosomes make up the genes. :rolleyes:
    don't the genes make up the chromosomes? I thought a gene was a length of DNA, and spools of DNA contracted together to form chromosomes when the cell wanted to split.

ReputationRep:
    On homosexuality... And this is my view which applies to everything, abortion, religion, terrorism, schooling etc..

Whether something is right or wrong, it is their right that they get a choice.

Personally, it's fine with me, My best Friend is gay, and he taked me shopping everywhere, hes nicer than most straight guys. I guess what im getting at is it's you life and you do what the hell you want to with it and dont let anyone tell you that something that is you choice is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerline)
    yes. how could anyone possibly state that both men and women have exactly the same genes? if they did they would look exactly the same, with no physical differences.
    All men and women do not have the same genes in the sense that they have the same genetic makeup. Their genes are of the same type however, and you could therefore use the genes of two males to make a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    why, then do we observe homosexuality in members of the animal kingdom? i suggest to you that the purpose of sex is not only procreation, as you suggest, but also pleasure, and some derise more pleasure from same-sex couplings than opposite-sex ones.

Discuss back.

I never understood how animals could be homosexual, since they only have sex to procreate and not for pleasure. The only mammals that have sex for pleasure are humans and dolphins...So maybe those homosexual animals are just confused. Or can find no females to mate with...and that completley defeats the objective of my arguement.

The only explanation is confusion, or a genetic defect?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. I'm a strong believer in individual liberty.

On a different note, I don't have any homosexual friends because I feel very uncomfortable around them. There's a 'friend' of mine who has gay tendencies and we just don't get along because his feminine ways tend to mean he has perpetual PMS. When it clashes with mine, it's just not pretty.

However, that said. They leave me alone, I do likewise. No one should try and forcibly stop them though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Hmm.. I'm a strong believer in individual liberty.

On a different note, I don't have any homosexual friends because I feel very uncomfortable around them. There's a 'friend' of mine who has gay tendencies and we just don't get along because his feminine ways tend to mean he has perpetual PMS. When it clashes with mine, it's just not pretty.

However, that said. They leave me alone, I do likewise. No one should try and forcibly stop them though..
    Where does your hate come from? I use the word "hate" because you repeatedly refer to homosexuals in the third person. Do you think that its society or what is morally right or wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Of course if we're not homosexual, we're gonna refer to homosexuals in the third person. I'm not going to use the first person because I'm not homosexual, and I'm not gonna use the second person because I'm not gonna assume that the reader is homosexual. It's just normal english.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldnt this be in D&D?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.