Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In this era of graduates well out numbering the amount of graduate level jobs available it is very wise to try and take a work placement year during your degree. I am considering this but my course doesn't come with an official work placement year but I know you can suspend your studies for a year to do one. Has any1 else done this or considering doing so because I would like some advice on the procedure and how easy or not it is to arrange an unofficial work placement year? cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esx77)
    In this era of graduates well out numbering the amount of graduate level jobs available it is very wise to try and take a work placement year during your degree. I am considering this but my course doesn't come with an official work placement year but I know you can suspend your studies for a year to do one. Has any1 else done this or considering doing so because I would like some advice on the procedure and how easy or not it is to arrange an unofficial work placement year? cheers
    I'm planning on doing this as my course doesn't feature a year in industry as such. However, the university (Sussex) does have a dedicated team to help those wanting to do a year in industry so I imagine it won't be too hard to find a job. Basically the university will post listings of placement year jobs on their dedicated careers website/department...you then apply individually to each employer, just as you would apply for a normal job.

ReputationRep:
    Will the course title/degree change to something like this: 'subject' with industrial expereince after you do your placement?

Do you need to submt a CV for a placement, or they just accept you automatically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Will the course title/degree change to something like this: 'subject' with industrial expereince after you do your placement?

Do you need to submt a CV for a placement, or they just accept you automatically?
    I guess the title on the certificate will remain the same as the work placement does not contribute to the final degree classification. However, I'm sure one could write it as '<subject> with industrial experience' on their CV.
    I think most work internships/placements within large companies require an application form only, but I'm sure a number of employers also request a CV and tutor reference.

Employers definitely don't accept students automatically. Work placement/internship recruitment is pretty similar to recruitment for regular jobs - interviews etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemonkeys)
    I guess the title on the certificate will remain the same as the work placement does not contribute to the final degree classification. However, I'm sure one could write it as '<subject> with industrial experience' on their CV.
    I think most work internships/placements within large companies require an application form only, but I'm sure a number of employers also request a CV and tutor reference.

Employers definitely don't accept students automatically. Work placement/internship recruitment is pretty similar to recruitment for regular jobs - interviews etc.
    Alright. I know degrees that have placements (4 year sandwich) have their placements counted towards the degree classification. Does it usually worth a lot?

Do they also take into account the module grades in the first/second year of your course too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Alright. I know degrees that have placements (4 year sandwich) have their placements counted towards the degree classification. Does it usually worth a lot?

Do they also take into account the module grades in the first/second year of your course too?
    I think the work placement in a sandwich degree usually counts for between 5-15% of the overall grade, depending on the course and university. For my degree at Sussex, only second and third year marks contribute to the final degree classification - as far as I'm aware, my placement year will not contribute at all.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.