Turn on thread page Beta

Rather cheeky, and I'm assuming not allowed.. watch

ReputationRep:
    .. to successfully get into your firm choice, get them to defer you, and then apply for another uni during your gap year, accepting it and cancelling the deferred place if you get in, or just going to the deferred place anyway if you don't?

Answers on a postcard please. Or here.

ReputationRep:
    you cant.. you have to cancel your deferred place before you can reapply..

ReputationRep:
    You could probably apply to a university abroad during your gap year and then reject your firm if you got in, but the UCAS system won't let you reapply without cancelling your deferred place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    .. to successfully get into your firm choice, get them to defer you, and then apply for another uni during your gap year, accepting it and cancelling the deferred place if you get in, or just going to the deferred place anyway if you don't?

Answers on a postcard please. Or here.
    Yes, you can do that. Someone posted the exact same thread last year on this. They had a friend who wanted to go to Oxford but didn't get in so chose Warwick as a Firm. He took a gap year, applied again and got in to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing something slightly different, but also quite cheeky!
    I applied to Cambridge and Durham (and 4 others) through UCAS, and to some music colleges, which are outside the UCAS system. I got offers from everywhere and couldn't decide whether to go to music college or uni....
    so I phoned Cambridge and Durham and asked if they would defer my offers as my firm and insurance, then accepted a music college. So I'm going to Guildhall for one year and then dropping out to accept my deferred Cambridge place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarplumc)
    I'm doing something slightly different, but also quite cheeky!
    I applied to Cambridge and Durham (and 4 others) through UCAS, and to some music colleges, which are outside the UCAS system. I got offers from everywhere and couldn't decide whether to go to music college or uni....
    so I phoned Cambridge and Durham and asked if they would defer my offers as my firm and insurance, then accepted a music college. So I'm going to Guildhall for one year and then dropping out to accept my deferred Cambridge place!

wow, i would have loved to do somethiing like that. But i chose Cambridge over music college in the end. Im surprised Guildhall are letting you drop out after a year??

ReputationRep:
    I would assume they didnt know yet!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2005
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.