The Student Room Group

Monopoly of the truth definition please

Hi, all i want to be given is a slightly more 'dumbed down' definition of monopoly of the truth. The one i have been given is: 'a view that only the viewpoint of the holder can be accepted as truth'. Basically what i want to know if they mean holder as being individual (your own viewpoint) or as a leader i.e. a dictators viewpoint.
I'm guessing it means individual, but would like that clarified please, thanks.:smile:
Reply 1
Monopoly of the truth is usually applied to religion or an ideology. For example, some Christian sects believe that only their viewpoint is right, and every other religion is wrong. How does it fit into what you're doing? It might help...
Reply 2
At the moment i'm doing it for ideology.

"Liberals (pluralists) tend to see ideology as totalistarian and oppressive - e.g. Stalin's Russia and Hitler's Germany both had official ideologies which were repressive.
Pluralists reject the idea that there can be a monopoly of the truth."

I'm still slightly confused.
Pluralists say this because the main vessels of society are fragmented, and many small instituions make up society - such as pressure groups, the media, education etc. So there is, to pluralists, no arch meta-narrative, and no one ideology that has a monopoly on the truth - that is, no one ideology which is solipsistic and utterly dogmatic.
Reply 4
Monopoly of the truth is where one religion feels they have the view that is right about the world, God, their Morals and values etc. Every other religion or view is wrong. So they do not accept other views and opinions.
I don't understand

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending