Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    you're doing OLCI aren't you Kellywood? has your tutor got in touch with you yet? mine hasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    you're doing OLCI aren't you Kellywood? has your tutor got in touch with you yet? mine hasn't.
    Nope, mine hasn't either. It said on the letter that they should contact you within 2 weeks, but when I emailed the exams officer, she said you just send the first assignment as soon as you've done it. I have a slight problem though- my tape recorder doesn't have a microphone socket, and the assignments include you speaking aloud and recording things! Is your tutor by any chance Jose Picouto? So how far are you with the course? Oh, and I have a question I wonder if you know anything about because the exams officer was pretty useless in answering it! She keeps insisting that the course is suitable for either OCR or AQA and she recommends OCR, but in the introduction to the study guide, it says the course has been prepared for AQA and doesn't mention OCR anywhere! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i find spanish really easy, because the words seem so like english to me, i know a lot of people who find it hard though- imo french is easier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Nope, mine hasn't either. It said on the letter that they should contact you within 2 weeks, but when I emailed the exams officer, she said you just send the first assignment as soon as you've done it. I have a slight problem though- my tape recorder doesn't have a microphone socket, and the assignments include you speaking aloud and recording things! Is your tutor by any chance Jose Picouto? So how far are you with the course? Oh, and I have a question I wonder if you know anything about because the exams officer was pretty useless in answering it! She keeps insisting that the course is suitable for either OCR or AQA and she recommends OCR, but in the introduction to the study guide, it says the course has been prepared for AQA and doesn't mention OCR anywhere! :confused:
    Yes I noticed that as well about the contridiction in terms of exam boards, I rang them up and they said it really doesn't matter as the course is suitable for both.

Yes, my tutor is Jose Picouto, maybe he's a bit shy!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I noticed that as well about the contridiction in terms of exam boards, I rang them up and they said it really doesn't matter as the course is suitable for both.

Yes, my tutor is Jose Picouto, maybe he's a bit shy!
    So which exam board do you think you'll go for? I need to try and find a school to sit the exams at in September, so I'll just see which exam boards they offer.

Seems like he is rather shy lol!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how much of a choice I have over exam board but one of the exams people said during my GCSEs that they would let me sit Spanish there next year even though they don't teach it at my school!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how much of a choice I have over exam board but one of the exams people said during my GCSEs that they would let me sit Spanish there next year even though they don't teach it at my school!
    I thought the school actually had to teach a subject before you could sit the exams there? If not, I might be able to sit mine at my school- I'll have to enquire about that in September. Good luck with your GCSE results, by the way

ReputationRep:
    You can sit the exam anywhere, they don't have to teach the exam. Imo OCR is harder than AQA for languages, so that might influence your decision. I think the speaking exam is more difficult anyway. I have to do Edexcel or AQA for Italian and the speaking exam is a lot easier than what I had to do for French/Spanish GCSEs which were OCR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    You can sit the exam anywhere, they don't have to teach the exam. Imo OCR is harder than AQA for languages, so that might influence your decision. I think the speaking exam is more difficult anyway. I have to do Edexcel or AQA for Italian and the speaking exam is a lot easier than what I had to do for French/Spanish GCSEs which were OCR.
    Oh good I hope my school will let me do my exams there. What about the speaking exam though? We don't have any Spanish teachers. My French teacher speaks Spanish and she's just done her A2 this year, so would I able to do the oral with her or would it have to be an external examiner?

I did my French GCSE with Edexcel and that was easy. The speaking exam was 2 role plays and 2 topic-based conversations, one you choose yourself and one the exam board randomly allocates you, but you know in advance what all 5 topics are. I liked that because there was no presentation to learn and no general conversation where you could be asked about practically anything! I was really hoping I could do Edexcel again for Spanish because I'm already familiar with the structure of the exams, but my course only covers OCR and AQA. I wonder why the distance learning people recommend OCR if it's harder? I've heard they have really weird picture role plays......

ReputationRep:
    For OCR, you do a basic role play which is pretty much translating the sentences, then the weird picture role play where you use the pics to tell a story using 3 main tenses, then a presentation, then questions on that presentation, then 2 more general topic convos! You could choose either internal or external examiner, but I'm not sure how qualified you have to be to be an examiner, possibly more than A2. DON'T DO OCR!!! It's so much harder than AQA or Edexcel! I would do AQA if I were you (subjunctive!). I was trying to compare AQA & Edexcel for Italian and it didn't seem like there was much difference tbh, but with OCR there definitely is. Luckily OCR doesn't do Italian. If you can't do it at school, write a letter to the local college that does Spanish. Get it backed up by a teacher if you want. It's not hard to find a centre and the exam boards recommend some I think. But don't do OCR because I think when you're learning like we are, the speaking is the hardest bit because you can't practise it!

ReputationRep:
    For OCR, you do a basic role play which is pretty much translating the sentences, then the weird picture role play where you use the pics to tell a story using 3 main tenses, then a presentation, then questions on that presentation, then 2 more general topic convos! You could choose either internal or external examiner, but I'm not sure how qualified you have to be to be an examiner, possibly more than A2. DON'T DO OCR!!! It's so much harder than AQA or Edexcel! I would do AQA if I were you (subjunctive!). I was trying to compare AQA & Edexcel for Italian and it didn't seem like there was much difference tbh, but with OCR there definitely is. Luckily OCR doesn't do Italian. If you can't do it at school, write a letter to the local college that does Spanish. Get it backed up by a teacher if you want. It's not hard to find a centre and the exam boards recommend some I think. But don't do OCR because I think when you're learning like we are, the speaking is the hardest bit because you can't practise it!
    :eek: Damn, that sounds nasty! My French teacher has offered to help me practice the speaking, so it's not like I'll have no practice at all, but the speaking exam sounds so much easier with AQA, and when you're doing a GCSE in 10 months with no previous knowledge and no teacher, you take the easiest option you can get

ReputationRep:
    That's why I'll probably be taking Edexcel! I feel hard done by when I look at what I had to do, which at the time I thought was easy comapred to other exam boards. I want my Italian pack!!!!

ReputationRep:
    That's why I'll probably be taking Edexcel! I feel hard done by when I look at what I had to do, which at the time I thought was easy comapred to other exam boards. I want my Italian pack!!!!
    Yep, I recommend Edexcel, nice and easy OCR: 1 very easy role play, 1 hard role play, presentation, discussion and 2 general conversations, or Edexcel: 1 very easy role play, 1 easy role play and 2 topic conversations. I believe that's what we call a no-brainer decision!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I recommend Edexcel, nice and easy OCR: 1 very easy role play, 1 hard role play, presentation, discussion and 2 general conversations, or Edexcel: 1 very easy role play, 1 easy role play and 2 topic conversations. I believe that's what we call a no-brainer decision!
    I wish my school did Edexcel. Ironically, Edexcel is supposedly the hardest A Level exam board for languages?!

ReputationRep:
    I wish my school did Edexcel. Ironically, Edexcel is supposedly the hardest A Level exam board for languages?!
    Is it? I do A-level French with Edexcel and it doesn't seem hard :confused: For AS, we had 3 exams; listening and writing, reading and writing and the oral. Listening and writing was an hour and it was mostly the same type of questions as at GCSE (ticking boxes, true or false, matching people with opinions, gap fill, equivalent phrasing etc) with 2 40-word writing questions. Reading and writing was 2 hours (although 1 is more than enough!) and again the reading section is very similar to GCSE. The writing section is a letter, article, report etc of 140-160 words. You don't get a choice of questions but you get bullet points advising you on what to write. The oral is a 2 minute presentation on a subject of your choice and then an 8-10 minute discussion on it.

ReputationRep:
    I know...I do Edexcel! I didn't say it was hard, I don't think it's hard, in fact I complained about it! But I think it's supposed to be one of the hardest. AS in languages are boring

ReputationRep:
    I know...I do Edexcel! I didn't say it was hard, I don't think it's hard, in fact I complained about it! But I think it's supposed to be one of the hardest. AS in languages are boring
    Oh sorry, I thought you did OCR lol If Edexcel is the hardest, I'd love to see what the other exam boards are like! I agree, but hopefully A2 should be more interesting what with the coursework. The oral sounds quite cool too, if we ignore for a minute the fact that I can't stand orals.

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry, I thought you did OCR lol If Edexcel is the hardest, I'd love to see what the other exam boards are like! I agree, but hopefully A2 should be more interesting what with the coursework. The oral sounds quite cool too, if we ignore for a minute the fact that I can't stand orals.
    The coursework will be great, although doing 3 lots of coursework plus 2 oral exams might start getting annoying. Especially as I have a habit of getting throat infections 2 weks before the exams.

ReputationRep:
    The coursework will be great, although doing 3 lots of coursework plus 2 oral exams might start getting annoying. Especially as I have a habit of getting throat infections 2 weks before the exams.
    Yeah, I have 3 lots of coursework too- French, English and sociology. We've done about half of the sociology already though, and we'll probably do one of the history exams in January to get it out of the way, so it shouldn't be too bad. Do you know what you're doing your French coursework on yet? I have no idea I remember wishing for a throat infection before my GCSE oral lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I have 3 lots of coursework too- French, English and sociology. We've done about half of the sociology already though, and we'll probably do one of the history exams in January to get it out of the way, so it shouldn't be too bad. Do you know what you're doing your French coursework on yet? I have no idea I remember wishing for a throat infection before my GCSE oral lol.
    Sorry for the delay, been away from home for a few days. I got a throat infection before GCSE & AS orals which meant I missed all my practise lessons! I won't have any January exams unless I do my retakes then and all of my A2 critical thinking. Hmm. I have no idea about coursework. We have no choice for the 500 word piece, I know we're doing some film for French. I'll probably do some sort of literary analysis on one of the books I've been reading and then something cultural for Spanish. I would love to do what I did for my oral exam but that's not allowed

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 16, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.