Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    Sorry for the delay, been away from home for a few days. I got a throat infection before GCSE & AS orals which meant I missed all my practise lessons! I won't have any January exams unless I do my retakes then and all of my A2 critical thinking. Hmm. I have no idea about coursework. We have no choice for the 500 word piece, I know we're doing some film for French. I'll probably do some sort of literary analysis on one of the books I've been reading and then something cultural for Spanish. I would love to do what I did for my oral exam but that's not allowed
    Sounds nasty I wanted one before my GCSE oral because I really did not want to do the exam, but missing the practices and still doing the exam is just harsh! Optimistically speaking, I won't need any January reists, but in reality I'll probably need to resit at least 1 English exam and maybe the source paper for history. I think we do the French resistance in the Second World War for the 1000 word piece, so I just need to find a topic for the 500 word piece. I'm thnking possibly either something to do with education or maybe the EU constitution and how it resulted in France changing Prime Ministers.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently education is boring and makes a bad choice of topic and shows you have no imagination. Like the last idea though, sounds like it would be more related to what the coursework is supposed to do. I was told it should assess the impact of something on the country and not just be narrative because it's too easy to copy. I'm doing a big European presentation/citizenship project atm so something on Europe would be good. *thinks*. I have lots of ideas for Spanish because I find Spanish politics much more interesting. I expect I will do literary analysis on something. Haven't found anything I like a lot atm though. Could also do something about French sociolinguistics!

ReputationRep:
    Yo hablo un poco de espanol pero yo tome por cuatro anos en la escuela. Es similar con ingles pero a ir proficiente es muy dificil.

Es facil a hablar un poco.

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard of the expression 'estudiar espanol (or whatever) desde hace cuatro anos'. Nice phrase I thought I'd mention

ReputationRep:
    Apparently education is boring and makes a bad choice of topic and shows you have no imagination. Like the last idea though, sounds like it would be more related to what the coursework is supposed to do. I was told it should assess the impact of something on the country and not just be narrative because it's too easy to copy. I'm doing a big European presentation/citizenship project atm so something on Europe would be good. *thinks*. I have lots of ideas for Spanish because I find Spanish politics much more interesting. I expect I will do literary analysis on something. Haven't found anything I like a lot atm though. Could also do something about French sociolinguistics!
    Hmm, better not do education then. I think I'll go with the EU constitution idea, sounds pretty interesting and easier to be analytical. Sociolinguistics would be a very original topic; I doubt many people do that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Hmm, better not do education then. I think I'll go with the EU constitution idea, sounds pretty interesting and easier to be analytical. Sociolinguistics would be a very original topic; I doubt many people do that!
    Eu constitution is big atm as well so it would be a really good topic. I've just got a good book on French sociolinguistics so I'll see. Think I might do something on literature though

ReputationRep:
    Eu constitution is big atm as well so it would be a really good topic. I've just got a good book on French sociolinguistics so I'll see. Think I might do something on literature though
    That would be good, but I think it would be pretty hard unless you actually went through the book in class. It would be like doing English lit coursework having just read the book yourself and not discussed it with anyone or been given any help with it. Speaking of lit, that reminds me of the pile of books I said I'd read this summer. Currently I've read....0.5/7! Oh dear.........

ReputationRep:
    That would be good, but I think it would be pretty hard unless you actually went through the book in class. It would be like doing English lit coursework having just read the book yourself and not discussed it with anyone or been given any help with it. Speaking of lit, that reminds me of the pile of books I said I'd read this summer. Currently I've read....0.5/7! Oh dear.........
    I have read quite a few books but not as many as I'd like. Haven't read any in French/Spanish yet (apart from vocab building stuff) but I've read some really good general language ones. Plenty of time though, despite the fact that I have work experience this week and looking after kids the next. I'm glad I get 9 weeks holiday!

ReputationRep:
    I have read quite a few books but not as many as I'd like. Haven't read any in French/Spanish yet (apart from vocab building stuff) but I've read some really good general language ones. Plenty of time though, despite the fact that I have work experience this week and looking after kids the next. I'm glad I get 9 weeks holiday!
    Cool, what are you doing for your work experience? 9 weeks? When do you go back to school then? I go back on Tuesday 6th September.

ReputationRep:
    I'm working in a solicitor's office and going to court etc. I wish I could get some Spanish work experience. I officially broke up on the 7th July but I was in France from 27th-1st July and only went back to school for 2 days after that as then I was in Cam. I go back on the 7th.

ReputationRep:
    I'm working in a solicitor's office and going to court etc. I wish I could get some Spanish work experience. I officially broke up on the 7th July but I was in France from 27th-1st July and only went back to school for 2 days after that as then I was in Cam. I go back on the 7th.
    Oh, sounds interesting. Your record can't be worse than mine; never been to Spain, never been to France, never had a part time job, never done any work experience, no extra-curricular activities. You can see why I need to do wider reading- my PS would be very short otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    For German we've been told to avoid the EU Consitution as it's really going to be overdone this year. Sociolinguistics would be truly amazing to do, and it really is very very creative and original: shows you've put some real thought into it.

Regarding work experience abroad, I spent two weeks in a bank in June/July in Aachen, Germany, and it was really dull - although it was probably because it was a bank, I really didn't learn too much, so don't think a foreign work experience will give you too much. Going to the country for a constructive holiday (seeing the cultural sites or whatever) would be good though.

ReputationRep:
    I've only been to France once for work experience. Went for a few days on a History trip actually but didn't see much apart from historical stuff! Never been to Spain. Not writing about doing law work experience because I don't want to! Never had a job either. I've done lots of general reading which has been good. It doesn't have to use all the space anyway!! It's better to be concise...as I learnt! At least you're doing GCSE Spanish now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxczxc)
    For German we've been told to avoid the EU Consitution as it's really going to be overdone this year. Sociolinguistics would be truly amazing to do, and it really is very very creative and original: shows you've put some real thought into it.

Regarding work experience abroad, I spent two weeks in a bank in June/July in Aachen, Germany, and it was really dull - although it was probably because it was a bank, I really didn't learn too much, so don't think a foreign work experience will give you too much. Going to the country for a constructive holiday (seeing the cultural sites or whatever) would be good though.
    That's true, the EU constitution will be quite a common topic. But if it's marked internally then that wouldn't be so bad as long as other people in your class weren't doing it, and I know that Kelly has a very small French set.
    I loved my work experience in France, only worked for a week though in a French bakery near Paris though tbh even though I was serving customers all day in French, my French didn't really improve because what I was saying wasn't to taxing but I did have some great conversations with customers and learnt all about French bread!

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough I found my language skills increased exponentially with my blood alcohol content :P It was actually very strange, I could barely speak any English. It's actually rather surprising though, the best work experiences in terms of language and actual enjoyment are the more menial ones - a friend of mine was in a restaurant and just ate Italian food all day, watched TV in English and got tips for doing nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxczxc)
    Funnily enough I found my language skills increased exponentially with my blood alcohol content :P It was actually very strange, I could barely speak any English. It's actually rather surprising though, the best work experiences in terms of language and actual enjoyment are the more menial ones - a friend of mine was in a restaurant and just ate Italian food all day, watched TV in English and got tips for doing nothing!
    My friend worked in a cafe, 9am-4pm with free lunch & got about 50E tip! I didn't finish until 7pm though (with 2 hours for lunch). I was so tired by the end of it, well mainly my feet ached!

ReputationRep:
    That's true, the EU constitution will be quite a common topic. But if it's marked internally then that wouldn't be so bad as long as other people in your class weren't doing it, and I know that Kelly has a very small French set.
    I loved my work experience in France, only worked for a week though in a French bakery near Paris though tbh even though I was serving customers all day in French, my French didn't really improve because what I was saying wasn't to taxing but I did have some great conversations with customers and learnt all about French bread!
    Damn it, why is it that whenever I finally choose a topic, there's always something wrong with it??? :hmpf: Lol, I guess you're right though. I can only see it being a problem if it was marked externally because the examiners would get so sick of it, but it's my teacher who marks it and there's only one other person in my class interested in politics. Come to think of it, he may not even be in my class next year because to be honest, I don't think he'll have passed the AS and I can't see even my school letting someone who failed AS carry on to A2.

ReputationRep:
    Damn it, why is it that whenever I finally choose a topic, there's always something wrong with it??? :hmpf: Lol, I guess you're right though. I can only see it being a problem if it was marked externally because the examiners would get so sick of it, but it's my teacher who marks it and there's only one other person in my class interested in politics. Come to think of it, he may not even be in my class next year because to be honest, I don't think he'll have passed the AS and I can't see even my school letting someone who failed AS carry on to A2.
    Well if it's marked internally then it shouldn't be so much of a problem although because you only have a small class I'm not sure if all of your work would be sent off for moderation by the exam boards. Do what you're interested in, there are many different angles on the EU institution anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Well if it's marked internally then it shouldn't be so much of a problem although because you only have a small class I'm not sure if all of your work would be sent off for moderation by the exam boards. Do what you're interested in, there are many different angles on the EU institution anyway.
    Yeah that's a good point actually. Given that there were only 5 of us at AS and may only be 4/3 of us at A2, I'm pretty sure it would all have to be moderated. There were only 5 of us in my sociology class this year and all our coursework was sent off. I don't think it will really matter though because as you said, not everyone will do exactly the same aspect of the topic. I did the same topic as another girl in my class for the AS oral and we even had some pretty similar content, but that didn't seem to be a problem. I'll see what my teacher thinks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's a good point actually. Given that there were only 5 of us at AS and may only be 4/3 of us at A2, I'm pretty sure it would all have to be moderated. There were only 5 of us in my sociology class this year and all our coursework was sent off. I don't think it will really matter though because as you said, not everyone will do exactly the same aspect of the topic. I did the same topic as another girl in my class for the AS oral and we even had some pretty similar content, but that didn't seem to be a problem. I'll see what my teacher thinks.
    I've just finished French and Spanish A2 with Edexcel (i did OCR for both languages at GCSE). In Spanish we did coursework and as there were 6 people in our class, although the work was marked internally, all our work was sent off for moderation. I think that only if it's a large class, the board will take a sample of the work to moderate i.e. top, middle and bottom marks of the class, but if your class is only 3, that'll be all of them anyway! As for topics, try not to do anything similar to someone in your class. The hardest part of the coursework is trying to make it stick to the word limit. My advice would be to make sure that you keep an eye on the word limit as you go along, as it's very easy to go over the 500/1000 words.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 16, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.