Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry for posting double threads but I don't seem to be able to find a way to change the thread title. So here goes, I am quite frustrated at not being able to make a decision on which college, I know you guys will suggest open day, but it's impossible for me to fly to UK as I am an international student. Well anyway, I was considering Pembroke, Selwyn, King's... What other colleges do you guys suggest? I know that Trinity and Downing is oversubcribed so I'll probably not apply to those 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    I am sorry for posting double threads but I don't seem to be able to find a way to change the thread title. So here goes, I am quite frustrated at not being able to make a decision on which college, I know you guys will suggest open day, but it's impossible for me to fly to UK as I am an international student. Well anyway, I was considering Pembroke, Selwyn, King's... What other colleges do you guys suggest? I know that Trinity and Downing is oversubcribed so I'll probably not apply to those 2.
    you've chosen 3....if you're having a tough time choosing then dont try and add any more. Choose 1 from those 3, it really wont make that much of a difference to you....if you cant come and have a look around, you might as well pick the one you like the look of most, it doesnt matter about academic standing!

Although to give you a hand, if you do really care about academic reputation, kings will be the worst out of those 3. I dunno about selwyn and pembroke, they're probably both pretty good!

ReputationRep:
    Rosie's a Pembroke Natsci and she seems to have done ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    you've chosen 3....if you're having a tough time choosing then dont try and add any more. Choose 1 from those 3, it really wont make that much of a difference to you....if you cant come and have a look around, you might as well pick the one you like the look of most, it doesnt matter about academic standing!

Although to give you a hand, if you do really care about academic reputation, kings will be the worst out of those 3. I dunno about selwyn and pembroke, they're probably both pretty good!
    ooh okay. which school has better accomodation? Most comfy? Most scenic etc? lol. I mean you've gotta like where you're gonna live for the next 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    King's is probably the prettiest. Lots of grass you can't walk on :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermerp)
    King's is probably the prettiest. Lots of grass you can't walk on :rolleyes:
    oh. only the scholars and the fellows can walk on em? why such a rule?

ReputationRep:
    So that the students and the tourists don't destroy the lawns that they spend most of the year cultivating :rolleyes:

See, I wasn't allowed on the grass in school (except the playing fields, obviously) so I really don't find it that big a deal in colleges. You aren't allowed to walk on the grass in the main courts of MOST colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    So that the students and the tourists don't destroy the lawns that they spend most of the year cultivating :rolleyes:

See, I wasn't allowed on the grass in school (except the playing fields, obviously) so I really don't find it that big a deal in colleges. You aren't allowed to walk on the grass in the main courts of MOST colleges.
    Could you cycle over it then? Or is it a no-fly-zone? Lol. I don't that bothers me much. I don't particularly have a penchant for destroying vegetation.

ReputationRep:
    It's a personal choice, but I would go for Pembroke out of the 3 you've mentioned. It's got a good location if you're a natsci, being close to the sites where you'll probably have your lectures. The facilities seem to be good from the point of view of a first year, since you get a computer room and gym facilities in the same building as your accommodation, and the rooms are quite new looking. I don't know Selwyn as well but I know it's a bit further out of town. I don't know what to say about King's either - it's quite cool to be right in the middle of things but that could get annoying I suppose. As you can see I am much more familiar with Pembroke, so that may be why I favour it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    It's a personal choice, but I would go for Pembroke out of the 3 you've mentioned. It's got a good location if you're a natsci, being close to the sites where you'll probably have your lectures. The facilities seem to be good from the point of view of a first year, since you get a computer room and gym facilities in the same building as your accommodation, and the rooms are quite new looking. I don't know Selwyn as well but I know it's a bit further out of town. I don't know what to say about King's either - it's quite cool to be right in the middle of things but that could get annoying I suppose. As you can see I am much more familiar with Pembroke, so that may be why I favour it.
    Do you guys get a lot of tourists? I mean, doesn't it get irritating when you see people taking pictures of the buildings all year round? By the way, how's the competition at Pembroke? Since it's so near the science sites, it must be hot property for natscis too right?

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys get a lot of tourists? I mean, doesn't it get irritating when you see people taking pictures of the buildings all year round? By the way, how's the competition at Pembroke? Since it's so near the science sites, it must be hot property for natscis too right?
    Don't let the competition put you off, it will fluctuate from year to year and a competitive college will pool more students so it's not the end of the world (you could even get pooled to Selwyn, lol). If you want to avoid the very competitive places then the only ones to be weary of really are Emmanuel and Christs.

St John's has tourists walking through a lot and you get used to it. The only thing that bothers me is when they want to take pictures on the Bridge of Sighs, turning it into a bottleneck. Apart from that, there's plenty of room for all of us! The situation is probably worse in Kings than St John's, though. The real question is, what do you like about King's that the other two don't provide? It has a more central site, but I can't think of any other advantages.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you can get around Cambridge pretty easily with a bike right? btw, are there bikes for sale in the university? I am not about to ship one over from Singapore if I do get in. Cambridge is basically self-contained right? You could like live there for 3 years without going to London right? Besides using Heathrow. So... I think I'll probably be choosing between Pembroke and Selwyn. King's seems too touristy. Sigh. What a headache.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you can get around Cambridge pretty easily with a bike right? btw, are there bikes for sale in the university? I am not about to ship one over from Singapore if I do get in. Cambridge is basically self-contained right? You could like live there for 3 years without going to London right? Besides using Heathrow. So... I think I'll probably be choosing between Pembroke and Selwyn. King's seems too touristy. Sigh. What a headache.
    Cambridge is completely self-contained. I have survived two years without ever having a bike! If you do want to buy one here there are cheaps ways of getting one, so no point bringing one.

Accommodation may vay between Selwyn and Pembroke quite considerably. In Pembroke you don't necessarily get accommodation in college after your first year. From your other thread it sounded like the situation might be better in Selwyn.

I can think of one other point of comparison. Formal hall is much better at Selwyn than Pembroke. Selwyn has nicer food and formal hall is more old-fashioned. I got caught out last time I went because I didn't realise you needed to wear a suit, but the porter was really nice and managed to find a tie for me and sneak me in!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! You've been really helpful. A far cry from the lashing in the oxford forums some guys gave a mexican. Are you reading Medicine? The whole idea of going to cambridge is really exciting. Plus, Singapore's Prime Minister graduated from Cambridge too! I'll surely be very disappointed if I don't get an offer. Will telling them that you've participated in things like Olympiads help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    St John's has tourists walking through a lot and you get used to it. The only thing that bothers me is when they want to take pictures on the Bridge of Sighs, turning it into a bottleneck. Apart from that, there's plenty of room for all of us! The situation is probably worse in Kings than St John's, though. The real question is, what do you like about King's that the other two don't provide? It has a more central site, but I can't think of any other advantages.
    Grrrr...people on Clare bridge used to get in my way and annoy me quite a lot last year. :mad: Fortunately we spent one term with my friend in a wheelchair so a)people are more considerate and b)she could "accidentally" swipe them with her crutches if they got in the way.

As for location for NatSci - Pembroke is incredibly convenient for lectures for the first year, particularly if you're a BioNatSci type. However, in 2nd year and onwards, Physicists in particular are out at the Cavendish, which is NOT near Pembroke (then again, it's not really near anywhere except maybe Churchill) so it's less of a consideration. Cambridge has such a small city centre though that it doesn't take long to get anywhere especially by bike - I can get from where I live to Lensfield road (Chemistry lecture theatre, also used for our Pathology and Pharmacology lectures) in under 10 minutes; 5 if the traffic/tourists are good.

I expect either Pembroke or Selwyn would do you just as well - do "eeny meeny miny mo" if you really can't decide!

ReputationRep:
    I like the Selwyn coat of arms better than the Pembroke one. Lol. I am gonna do BioNatsci all the way. I mean, I am not really interested in physics. Do you get to go on field studies with bionatsci? What's biology without doing field work? It's like being an armchair geographer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! You've been really helpful. A far cry from the lashing in the oxford forums some guys gave a mexican. Are you reading Medicine? The whole idea of going to cambridge is really exciting. Plus, Singapore's Prime Minister graduated from Cambridge too! I'll surely be very disappointed if I don't get an offer. Will telling them that you've participated in things like Olympiads help?
    Happy we could help Assuming you need to fill in a UCAS form (like all UK applicants do), you should mention the Olympiads in your Personal Statement. Definitely.

Yeah, I do read Medicine. I'm starting my third year after the summer vacation. Helenia is also reading Medicine - we're in the same year but at different colleges.

Good luck with your application! By the way, are you applying anywhere else in the UK or abroad?

Grrrr...people on Clare bridge used to get in my way and annoy me quite a lot last year. Fortunately we spent one term with my friend in a wheelchair so a)people are more considerate and b)she could "accidentally" swipe them with her crutches if they got in the way.
    I like your style :p:

I like the Selwyn coat of arms better than the Pembroke one. Lol. I am gonna do BioNatsci all the way. I mean, I am not really interested in physics. Do you get to go on field studies with bionatsci? What's biology without doing field work? It's like being an armchair geographer.
    There are a lot of branches of bionatsci. I know that the plantscis have EPIC field trips.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends what kind of Biology you do - there are 3 courses in the first year (which I don't THINK entail fieldwork, unless E&B does) and many more in the 2nd year, some of which do and some don't. You don't really need to go on a field trip to study Pharmacology

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends what kind of Biology you do - there are 3 courses in the first year (which I don't THINK entail fieldwork, unless E&B does) and many more in the 2nd year, some of which do and some don't. You don't really need to go on a field trip to study Pharmacology
    I'm not going to make a Farm Ecology joke...

ReputationRep:
    I am probably applying to read Medicine at a local university (NUS). Also, Biological Sciences (related stuff) at Imperial, UCL, KCL. I'll be trying for Yale and Johns Hopkins too. But it's cambridge that I really want to get into. Am trying for the US schools cos there is this particular scholarship that I am trying for that prefers US schools over UK schools. Guess I'll leave my options open and see what I get.

Offtopic: Do you pay a lot of tax in the UK?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.