Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I think it depends what kind of Biology you do - there are 3 courses in the first year (which I don't THINK entail fieldwork, unless E&B does) and many more in the 2nd year, some of which do and some don't. You don't really need to go on a field trip to study Pharmacology
    Aye. I am more interested in organismal than molecular though I don't mind doing both. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    I'm not going to make a Farm Ecology joke...
    I'm glad about that. Took some of my friends a while to work out what I meant when I was saying "I've got a Pharm practical this afternoon" :rolleyes:

soonalvin - just out of interest, why are you applying for Medicine at home, but Biological Sciences over here?

I'm not 100% sure about taxes; income tax is about 23% I think, rising to about 40% if you earn over a certain threshold. Then there's National Insurance, VAT, Road Tax...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    I am probably applying to read Medicine at a local university (NUS). Also, Biological Sciences (related stuff) at Imperial, UCL, KCL. I'll be trying for Yale and Johns Hopkins too. But it's cambridge that I really want to get into. Am trying for the US schools cos there is this particular scholarship that I am trying for that prefers US schools over UK schools. Guess I'll leave my options open and see what I get.
    Wow, that's an impressive line-up there.

Offtopic: Do you pay a lot of tax in the UK?
    I think we are taxed at a similar level to the rest of Europe. If you're coming here just to study (i.e. as a non-resident) then you won't need to worry about taxes anyway - you can only be taxed on your income.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad about that. Took some of my friends a while to work out what I meant when I was saying "I've got a Pharm practical this afternoon" :rolleyes:

soonalvin - just out of interest, why are you applying for Medicine at home, but Biological Sciences over here?

I'm not 100% sure about taxes; income tax is about 23% I think, rising to about 40% if you earn over a certain threshold. Then there's National Insurance, VAT, Road Tax...
    Because simply, I can't afford to read Medicine in the UK, and also the british govt has some sort quota for international students, no? I would still like to study in the UK which makes biology the next best thing. Plus, in case I don't get any offer from any UK school, I will still have a place in Medical school waiting for me at home. Yep. How nice it is to live in UK and pay those low low fees for university. But your taxes are really blood sucking. I mean, 40%, wow. basically almost half of what you earn.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's an impressive line-up there.
    Well I figured that if I can't get into the best schools overseas, I might as well do it at home at a much cheaper price than pay exhorbitant fees to do it at a mediocre school away from home.

ReputationRep:
    Because simply, I can't afford to read Medicine in the UK, and also the british govt has some sort quota for international students, no? I would still like to study in the UK which makes biology the next best thing. Plus, in case I don't get any offer from any UK school, I will still have a place in Medical school waiting for me at home. Yep. How nice it is to live in UK and pay those low low fees for university. But your taxes are really blood sucking. I mean, 40%, wow. basically almost half of what you earn.
    The taxes are bad, but if you are earning more in the first place then it sort of equals out. For example, being a doctor in New Zealand or Australia you would earn less money, but you would be taxed less and things are generally cheaper. I guess it evens out in the end... except in America, where you would earn more, be taxed less, and the cost of living is less :p:

ReputationRep:
    The taxes are bad, but if you are earning more in the first place then it sort of equals out. For example, being a doctor in New Zealand or Australia you would earn less money, but you would be taxed less and things are generally cheaper. I guess it evens out in the end... except in America, where you would earn more, be taxed less, and the cost of living is less :p:
    Is that why Bush is so popular with the upperclass? Lol. I guess being a doctor puts you on the right track for life, except if you go around killing your patients (there was this Indian doctor in Australia i think). It's just too bad I don't have so much money to read medicine in UK though that'll be really cool.

Another question, is competition at trinity and downing really that bad?

ReputationRep:
    And get yourself sued every other year and have to pay lots :p:

Soonalvin - Trinity is BIG and will therefore have a big intake of Natscis, Downing is fairly average-sized, I think. As Steve has said before, don't worry about how "competitive" it is - if you're good enough, you'll get pooled and stand a decent chance of being picked up.

ReputationRep:
    Is that why Bush is so popular with the upperclass? Lol. I guess being a doctor puts you on the right track for life, except if you go around killing your patients (there was this Indian doctor in Australia i think). It's just too bad I don't have so much money to read medicine in UK though that'll be really cool.
    There was an even worse doctor in England called Harold Shipman. The one you are talking about was incompetent, but Shipman was a murderer.

Another question, is competition at trinity and downing really that bad?
    I don't know how to answer this. Personally, I think the whole issue of different levels of competition is blown out of proportion. Don't be afraid to apply to the college you want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    There was an even worse doctor in England called Harold Shipman. The one you are talking about was incompetent, but Shipman was a murderer.

I don't know how to answer this. Personally, I think the whole issue of different levels of competition is blown out of proportion. Don't be afraid to apply to the college you want to go to.
    I see... they should really screen their personality instead of just grades. Being a doctor is a really huge responsibility. And I suppose I can disregard the Tompkin's table? Emma was said to be the top and Selwyn is smack in the middle. I guess the percentages are really close too? Ohwell. Do you get to watch TV there in Cambridge? Cable? Satellite? Or not too much time to watch TV?

ReputationRep:
    I see... they should really screen their personality instead of just grades. Being a doctor is a really huge responsibility. And I suppose I can disregard the Tompkin's table? Emma was said to be the top and Selwyn is smack in the middle. I guess the percentages are really close too? Ohwell. Do you get to watch TV there in Cambridge? Cable? Satellite? Or not too much time to watch TV?
    I took a TV in my first year but never watched it, that's how busy I was. There are much better things to do at University. Your college JCR will probably have a TV with satellite and DVD player though. St John's does anyway, apply here.

The Tompkins table is not subject specific. I think it is more useful to find out the reputation of a given college for your subject by asking current students. They ought to have an idea - for example, every medic knows that Emma, Christs and Caius produce the best results. I don't know which colleges are best for bionatsci - they're not necessarily the same as the ones for medics, as medics and natscis don't always share supervisors.

EDIT: By the way, med schools do try to screen personality. Some have adopted psychometric tests from Australia.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really answer your question properly about the Tompkins table. I think it is generally accepted that some colleges are harder to get into, but I don't think the difference is as large as people make it out to be. If you're good enough for one college then 9 times out of 10 you would be good enough for another. You may be one of the best students in one college or an average student at a more competitive one, but you would probably still get in - and if you don't, that's what pooling is for.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really answer your question properly about the Tompkins table. I think it is generally accepted that some colleges are harder to get into, but I don't think the difference is as large as people make it out to be. If you're good enough for one college then 9 times out of 10 you would be good enough for another. You may be one of the best students in one college or an average student at a more competitive one, but you would probably still get in - and if you don't, that's what pooling is for.
    heh. you don't happen to know any bionatscis do you? But all in all, regardless of college, a degree from cambridge will open many doors. at least in Singapore. I don't even have to do science anymore, I could go into civil service and they could pay me tons. Lol. I guess they'll be flying tutors into Singapore to interview us. My application deadline is Sept 20th, and the school hasn't even briefed us on it yet. Nothing, absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    heh. you don't happen to know any bionatscis do you? But all in all, regardless of college, a degree from cambridge will open many doors. at least in Singapore. I don't even have to do science anymore, I could go into civil service and they could pay me tons. Lol. I guess they'll be flying tutors into Singapore to interview us. My application deadline is Sept 20th, and the school hasn't even briefed us on it yet. Nothing, absolutely.
    I know loads, but they don't really talk about how hard/easy it is to get into various colleges, or even which ones they think are good. NatSci is such a huge subject that there will probably be more than one supervisor for each subject at each college anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I know loads, but they don't really talk about how hard/easy it is to get into various colleges, or even which ones they think are good. NatSci is such a huge subject that there will probably be more than one supervisor for each subject at each college anyway.
    So the take home message is that no matter where I go, I'll be fine? Right? Reassure me!! =D

ReputationRep:
    *reassures him* it's been said loads, the college you choose isn't going to have a major impact on how you perform in your subject, unless of course the DoS is especially useless and can't organise supervisions for you or something. which is extremely rare

ReputationRep:
    right. any tips for the interviews then? preparations to make whatsoever? personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, there'll be plenty of that around application time. Read around the subject, be on your toes and be up-to-date, that's the best advice I can give

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to Gonville & Caius for BioNatSci. I'm going to an open day on Friday, hopefully it should help me to make my mind up!

ReputationRep:
    this sucks.
    I can't go to an open day cos i've got chem practical exams on thursday and friday!! :mad:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.