The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Widowmaker
this sucks.
I can't go to an open day cos i've got chem practical exams on thursday and friday!! :mad:

Actual exams? :confused:
Aired
Actual exams? :confused:

yeah, sucks doesn't it?
A2 practical exams already!!!!!!!!!
Reply 42
Isn't Caius one of the more highly contested schools? Ohwell. What's A2 anyway? and What's GCSE? I think I am taking a slightly different version from what you're doing in the UK.
Perhaps it is something like the 'A' levels....
Reply 44
Might I also enquire why Cambridge students are called Tabs?
Reply 45
soonalvin
Might I also enquire why Cambridge students are called Tabs?

tab comes from "Cantab", which is short for the Latin word "cantabrigiensis", meaning "of Cambridge".
Reply 46
sbailey
tab comes from "Cantab", which is short for the Latin word "cantabrigiensis", meaning "of Cambridge".

the root word is familiar... i encountered it somewhere. Bt. Bacillus thuringiensis
Reply 47
soonalvin
the root word is familiar... i encountered it somewhere. Bt. Bacillus thuringiensis

I think the "iensis" bit is merely because the word is in its genitive form (= *of* something). I haven't done any Latin since GCSE so that's my excuse if I'm wrong :p:
Reply 48
sbailey
I think the "iensis" bit is merely because the word is in its genitive form (= *of* something). I haven't done any Latin since GCSE so that's my excuse if I'm wrong :p:

then what do you guys call the oxford people?
Reply 49
soonalvin
then what do you guys call the oxford people?

We don't need a name for them, we're above that. :wink:

But when we're not feeling so high and mighty, the word "scum" does the trick.

Personally I've always favoured the word "oxymoron", but it's never caught on.
Reply 50
sbailey
We don't need a name for them, we're above that. :wink:

But when we're not feeling so high and mighty, the word "scum" does the trick.

Personally I've always favoured the word "oxymoron", but it's never caught on.

why is cambridge called cambridge? Because it bridges the river cam?
and oxford? because it's filled with wildebeasts?
....Hahaha. I sense a bitter rivalry..
Reply 52
soonalvin
why is cambridge called cambridge? Because it bridges the river cam?
and oxford? because it's filled with wildebeasts?

Yeah, I guess Oxford used to have a bridge and oxen used to cross it.

I'm not sure which is the famous bridge over the Cam, since we have so many. Maybe it is long gone.

P.S. I heard there are less wildebeasts in Brookes than in Oxford University.
Reply 53
sbailey
Yeah, I guess Oxford used to have a bridge and oxen used to cross it.

I'm not sure which is the famous bridge over the Cam, since we have so many. Maybe it is long gone.

P.S. I heard there are less wildebeasts in Brookes than in Oxford University.

Or even a ford :wink:

I think Clare's is currently the oldest bridge on the Cam (if you believe the Scudamore's guides :wink:)but I could be wrong. The name almost certainly originated long before that though.
Reply 54
Maybe that's when they first invented bridges? To cross the Cam?
Reply 55
soonalvin
ooh okay. which school has better accomodation? Most comfy? Most scenic etc? lol. I mean you've gotta like where you're gonna live for the next 3 years.

I've never seen Selwyn. I remember I passed by Pembroke it was nothing special - but my friend who studies there loves it :smile: she does Law, not NatSci. I remember of the colleges I looked at during this school trip I loved Kings - it's all white and grand with lots of fields and it's by the river :biggrin: although the political talk really did put me off Kings but it's still a lovely college, by the looks of it! I remember I was between Jesus and Kings even though I've never seen Jesus - if I could apply again I'd go for Jesus :biggrin: Hey who knows, postgrad or PhD maybe! :biggrin:

Apply to the one you like the sound of most, I reckon - it's what I did - but then I sorta got influenced into applying for Emma (admittedly my own choice) and while I don't regret applying to Emma, it's a lovely college - I still wish I had applied to Jesus or King's :redface: So yeh - just go with what you feel like. Don't let people on the forum influence you :biggrin:
Reply 56
Helenia
Or even a ford :wink:

I think Clare's is currently the oldest bridge on the Cam (if you believe the Scudamore's guides :wink:)but I could be wrong. The name almost certainly originated long before that though.

Oxford English Dictionary (Johnian edition)
Cambridge noun 1 a Great University, its name dating back to the prophecy of a Great Bridge which would link the two sides of the Best College in the Civilised World. Legend had it that this bridge would divide a grass lawn of Great Beauty from a court of Distinct Ugliness.
2 Often confused with Johnsbridge.
Reply 57
sbailey
Oxford English Dictionary (Johnian edition)
Cambridge noun 1 a Great University, its name dating back to the prophecy of a Great Bridge which would link the two sides of the Best College in the Civilised World. Legend had it that this bridge would divide a grass lawn of Great Beauty from a court of Distinct Ugliness.
2 Often confused with Johnsbridge.

I guess the second definition is pretty lame.
Reply 58
sbailey

Close, 'ensi' is the adjectival suffix that indicates locality (where or whence); the terminal 's' represents the genitival form.
Reply 59
svidrigailov
Close, 'ensi' is the adjectival suffix that indicates locality (where or whence); the terminal 's' represents the genitival form.

Many thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending