Turn on thread page Beta

The United States of America is so awesome watch

ReputationRep:
    The steel tariffs have been removed
    The fact that the present president put them in place is bad enough. It teels us alot about this administration.

and Bush has just offered to remove the farm subsidies if the EU does likewise.

Not good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    NYC, though, is a hole. It is about the most foul, dirty city i have ever seen...
    au contraire, at least in my opinion. the statue of liberty is one of the most enduring sights in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    the statue of liberty is one of the most enduring sights in the world.
    Of course, and it speaks volumes, but as for the actual city, i could never see myself living there... *vomits*

ReputationRep:
    Of course, and it speaks volumes, but as for the actual city, i could never see myself living there... *vomits*
    Well no, I was more picking up on your 'foul' point, I personally like the thought of living in such a busy vibrant city, but I did live in FL for 12 months so maybe I can't comment on the 'dirty' american city viewpoint. =)

ReputationRep:
    and just think how much better you'd be today if you hadnt bothered with all that independence malarkey.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Boston is an amazing city...

NYC, though, is a hole. It is about the most foul, dirty city i have ever seen...
    That was uncalled for. Any unfavorable comparison of New York to Boston is blasphemy and the offender deserves to be burnt at the stake. :mad:

(Original post by objectivism)
    The fact that the present president put them in place is bad enough. It teels us alot about this administration.
    Bush != United States. He'll be out of power in 3 years.

Not good enough.
    Compared to who?

ReputationRep:
    Bush != United States. He'll be out of power in 3 years.
    that's why i used the word administration.

Compared to who?
    My principles. I know no other true measure.

ReputationRep:
    My principles. I know no other true measure.
    But then you must hate almost every country in the world, as the US has lower tariffs than almost every one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    But then you must hate almost every country in the world, as the US has lower tariffs than almost every one of them.
    I never used the word hate. I said its not good enough. I'm not satisfied with any country, but that does not mean i hate them all.

ReputationRep:
    "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it"

-George Bernard Shaw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richl)
    "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it"

-George Bernard Shaw
    I wasn't born in the US and I consider myself an American patriot.

I never used the word hate. I said its not good enough. I'm not satisfied with any country, but that does not mean i hate them all.
    And the US gets no brownie points from you for leading the free trade movement?

ReputationRep:
    And the US gets no brownie points from you for leading the free trade movement?[/QUOTE]

I merely said it was not good enough, not that i don't admire the usa to a certain extent.

Also Britain is the birthplace of liberalism and free trade, the USA adopted it.

ReputationRep:
    IAlso Britain is the birthplace of liberalism and free trade, the USA adopted it.
    I think we can both agree that the present is more important than the past.

ReputationRep:
    I think we can both agree that the present is more important than the past.

Yes, i was merely correcting you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i was merely correcting you.
    I said that the US was leading the free trade movement, not that it has always done so.

ReputationRep:
    Independence? I wish.

Lose New York City, Mexifornia, and the other Southern states going Spanish and you've got the best European country on the planet. Happy Birthday.

S. of Liberty - "enduring"? 1880s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Lose New York City, Mexifornia, and the other Southern states going Spanish and you've got the best European country on the planet. Happy Birthday.

S. of Liberty - "enduring"? 1880s?
    New York City? Hispanic? That's so '90s. :rolleyes: About 8% of the population here is now Chinese, and the number is rising fast (it was closer to 0.1% ten years ago). We have too many minorities here for any one of them dominate. Also, contrary to white supremacist teachings, there is no solidarity within any of the races, including Hispanics. There are Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, and Haitians, and they rarely act or vote as a solid bloc.

ReputationRep:
    New York City? Hispanic? That's so '90s. :rolleyes: About 8% of the population here is now Chinese, and the number is rising fast (it was closer to 0.1% ten years ago). We have too many minorities here for any one of them dominate. Also, contrary to white supremacist teachings, there is no solidarity within any of the races, including Hispanics. There are Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, and Haitians, and they rarely act or vote as a solid bloc.
    True - but isn't the general trend/tendency for those groups to lean towards the Democrats?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean to say that NY is too spic, bad punctuation, just to imply it's a hell-hole tower of babel. If it's improved in recent years, it won't last.

I don't know about any supremacist teachings, but I was aware that hispanic voters are usually more evenly split Rep/Dem than Blacks and Jews, who usually have a big preference for Democrats. Aracial White gentiles are pretty much 50/50, since politicians of both sides know Whites have no ethnic affiliations.

You know I'm not a 'supremacist' don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwenyth!)
    True - but isn't the general trend/tendency for those groups to lean towards the Democrats?
    That's not going to make much of a difference in NYC, over 70% of which is solidly Democratic. On a national level, Haitians tend to be Republican, while the other Hispanic groups tend to lean Democratic, but not by a wide margin. Having more Hispanics is certainly not going to shift the balance of power to the left, as can be seen by Republicans dominating in Presidential and Congressional elections over the last decade, at a time when the number of Hispanics in the US was rapidly rising.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.