Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    I thought we were talking about the present. :confused:

anyway. Im not here to launch an attack on Americans.

I think the Americans do some things SUPERBLY.

Sure I dont like Bush and think you guys are perhaps a bit too patriotic, but I dont think Ive ever met a nicer nation of people.

Pink invisible elphants bless America.
    At least we can't be arrested for making fun of our "official church" (which we don't have) or our head of state. :p:

ReputationRep:
    STFUSTFUSTFU STFUSTFUSTFU STFUSTFUSTFU STFUSTFUSTFU

Check it out. Enjoy kids.

ReputationRep:
    STFU? Sounds like something made from coagulating soy milk.

ReputationRep:
    stfu noob.

two assortments of letters not found in the dictionary which do make sense.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the people on this board need to stop being so sensitive. Getting riled up over a country celebrating its independence is the sign of someone taking themselves too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to refuse to comment about America. The americans themselves, from my experience, are extremely hospitable people, with a great degree of humility and kindness.

As for the government - I'm not going to even go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    Some of the people on this board need to stop being so sensitive. Getting riled up over a country celebrating its independence is the sign of someone taking themselves too seriously.
    Ill speak for myself, as someone who didnt got too "riled up".

The terms "land of freedom" and "land of the brave" etc are vacuous, nonsense statements. And the use of these terms to a country that is as powerful and influential as the US can seem a bit patronising..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    5 lb burritos from el Pollo Loco!

SERIOUSLY????

Jesus ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    At least we can't be arrested for making fun of our "official church" (which we don't have) or our head of state. :p:
    Yes but then our head of state cant count to 5

ReputationRep:
    um but no.
    America? where have you gone, greetings from the land of europe. the reason England hates itself so much is because it sees other countries all the time but you never really see foreigners up close,

hey but enjoy your fantasy and have fun celebrating your independence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glicker)
    um but no.
    America? where have you gone, greetings from the land of europe. the reason England hates itself so much is because it sees other countries all the time but you never really see foreigners up close,

hey but enjoy your fantasy and have fun celebrating your independence
    Where do you get this BS? 40% of the students in my university were not born in the US and represented almost 100 different countries. America accepts about a million immigrants every single year. Only 3/4 of its population is white, compared to 95% for Britain. Learn a thing or two about America before spouting this nonsense.

(Original post by Lawz-)
    Yes but then our head of state cant count to 5
    Not in proper (American) English she can't.

(Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Ill speak for myself, as someone who didnt got too "riled up".

The terms "land of freedom" and "land of the brave" etc are vacuous, nonsense statements. And the use of these terms to a country that is as powerful and influential as the US can seem a bit patronising..
    The terms were created in 1812, when America was the only true democracy in the world and when it was on the verge of surviving a second war against the most powerful nation in the world in a 40-year span.

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
    O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof thru the night that our flag was still there.
    Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen throughout the mists of the deep
    Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes
    What is that which the breeze o'er the towering steep
    As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
    Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam
    In full glory reflected now shines on the stream.
    `Tis the Star-Spangled Banner, Oh long may it wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so hauntingly swore
    That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
    A home and country, shall leave us no more?
    Their blood was washed out their foul foot steps pollution
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave.
    And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph doth wave

Oh thus be it e'er when free men shall stand
    Between their lov'd homes and war's desolation!
    Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
    Praise the Pow'r that has made and presrv'd us a nation
    And conquer we must when our cause is just
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
    And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave

ReputationRep:
    The terms were created in 1812, when America was the only true democracy in the world and when it was on the verge of surviving a second war against the most powerful nation in the world in a 40-year span.
    What is the difference between a 'true' democracy and democracy?

I still think much American rhetoric is nonsense designed to improve national spirit without little real basis.

July 4th isn't even the real Independence Day. :rolleyes:

Not that nonsense isn't good- it serves its purpose admirably.

ReputationRep:
    Argh give this a break; no country is the best! Everyone has their faults and positives and America has its fair share of both. I admire your patriotism however i think the excessive amount of it is rather worrying and to be frank, rather annoying too. This is an international forum and its unfair if everyone shoved on their country and demonstrated their excessive amount of patriotism by saying: woo hoo i think China/Japan/Israel/Mexico/Cyprus/Mongolia/Canada is the best! Get a grip! If you have a need to be patriotic actively do something to help your country and dont blab about it on a forum and exepct people to agree with you about how great your country is!

ReputationRep:
    It was confined to one day, out of 365 in the year. The American posters IMO don't usually 'blab about it on a forum', and certainly not as much as they themselves are criticised here. If you can't tolerate some lighthearted banter for one day a year, you have problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trier)
    What is the difference between a 'true' democracy and democracy?

I still think much American rhetoric is nonsense designed to improve national spirit without little real basis.
    Generally, when a king/queen still has some level of control over foreign policy and appointment of high officials, I would have difficulty calling the country a democracy. In 1812, the British monarch still had some power.

(Original post by alexandra010588)
    Argh give this a break; no country is the best! Everyone has their faults and positives and America has its fair share of both. I admire your patriotism however i think the excessive amount of it is rather worrying and to be frank, rather annoying too. This is an international forum and its unfair if everyone shoved on their country and demonstrated their excessive amount of patriotism by saying: woo hoo i think China/Japan/Israel/Mexico/Cyprus/Mongolia/Canada is the best! Get a grip! If you have a need to be patriotic actively do something to help your country and dont blab about it on a forum and exepct people to agree with you about how great your country is!
    What relativist nonsense. Of course there is a country that is the best. You might not agree with the criteria used for choosing the best country, but it's possible to rank anything. Just because a country isn't the best in everything, doesn't mean that it's the best on average.

And anyone who's not able to show some support to a foreign country one day a year is the extreme nationalist.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, when a king/queen still has some level of control over foreign policy and appointment of high officials, I would have difficulty calling the country a democracy. In 1812, the British monarch still had some power.
    That is simply being relativist though.

The basic principles were there, as well as the nonsense about liberty that the English were proud of.

The US was also a weak democracy and had many flaws- 'true' democracy is a state that I feel is neither desirable nor achievable.

ReputationRep:
    With close to 60 % of people sayinng that the united states is not "awesome", and that July 4th is silly, I think this poll showed the general TSR attitudes towards the U.S.A as a whole. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    The Queen constitutionally doesn't have any less power in Britain than she would have had in 1812, as far as I'm aware.

Neither countries had universal sufferage for another hundred years. Slavery - excluding conscription - was illegal in England, not so in the US. Though, I think all these things were more out of utility than ideology: the proud, free people of England had no use for slaves, and their women would vote for whoever their husband voted - there was no secret ballot. I don't think either was a "true" democracy, using the modern standard, as much as US national mythology goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    With close to 60 % of people sayinng that the united states is not "awesome", and that July 4th is silly, I think this poll showed the general TSR attitudes towards the U.S.A as a whole. :eek:
    Who is #1 then, I wonder? Palestine I bet *mutters about damn commies*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    The Queen constitutionally doesn't have any less power in Britain than she would have had in 1812, as far as I'm aware.

Neither countries had universal sufferage for another hundred years. Slavery - excluding conscription - was illegal in England, not so in the US.
    You don't have a constitution so that's kind of meaningless. The fact is that your monarch had a great deal of say over appointments to diplomatic positions and over foreign policy.

Though, I think all these things were more out of utility than ideology: the proud, free people of England had no use for slaves, and their women would vote for whoever their husband voted - there was no secret ballot. I don't think either was a "true" democracy, using the modern standard, as much as US national mythology goes.
    The South relied on cash crops, which required a massive amount of labor, and thus slavery. The North and Britain didn't rely on those crops, and therefore had no need for slaves.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.